Ideas on promoting Geocaching outside the USA

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest Peter Scholtz

I need more ideas on promoting Geocaching in countries where it hasn't taken off yet. I've tried a few things but it hasn't really helped yet, e.g.:

1. Radio interview on local talk radio (http://www.geocaching.com/media/CapeTalk.mp3)

2. Word by mouth (telling friends and taking them along - this works, but o so slowly)

3. "Pirate" posters on street lamp posts near traffic intersections (ok, I only put up three in the Cape Town CBD as an experiment - and the weather has destroyed two of them). I'm considering applying to the local municipality for permission to put up about a hundred ... will cost though.

4. Pamphlets at outdoor shops where they sell GPS's. (Must still do this, might be the most effective).

Ideas please ...

(So far I'm doing a lot more hiding than seeking, and I must admit I prefer the seek.)

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest JasonW

I think your options as listed in order of effectiveness are likely to be

4 - the outlets might like this idea too - it gives people another spur to buying a GPS unit icon_smile.gif giving more sales for the GPS outlet, and more potential cachers in your area/state/province/region.

2 - if you can bear to do it, rather than take your friends to a cache you placed, loan them your GPS and let them have the thrill of the hunt for themselves.

1 - if you take a look at the "How did you hear about Geocaching" thread, you'll see that a reasonable number of people heard about it via the media - whether traditional (radio/TV/newspaper) or 'new' media like the 'net.

3 - I have some reservations about flyposting - it might give Geocaching? a bad name - not sure about the reach of posters on lampposts etc either - in fact I don't recall the last time I personally even spotted one much less read it's content - but I might just be completely immune to advertising icon_wink.gif

Guest JasonW

I think your options as listed in order of effectiveness are likely to be

4 - the outlets might like this idea too - it gives people another spur to buying a GPS unit icon_smile.gif giving more sales for the GPS outlet, and more potential cachers in your area/state/province/region.

2 - if you can bear to do it, rather than take your friends to a cache you placed, loan them your GPS and let them have the thrill of the hunt for themselves.

1 - if you take a look at the "How did you hear about Geocaching" thread, you'll see that a reasonable number of people heard about it via the media - whether traditional (radio/TV/newspaper) or 'new' media like the 'net.

3 - I have some reservations about flyposting - it might give Geocaching? a bad name - not sure about the reach of posters on lampposts etc either - in fact I don't recall the last time I personally even spotted one much less read it's content - but I might just be completely immune to advertising icon_wink.gif