Caching in Iraq!

I don't know how many of you watch MAIL CALL, on the History Channel (I think), but recently he showed what was in the various survival vests worn by flyers, at least.. in it was what appeared to be a Garmin 12 (or something along that line)... good way to pinpoint your location behind lines, or anywhere you might get stranded. We use a basic 12, and have no problem with it.. gets us to the cache area just fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Smelly Mo:

Hey...I found some intrepid 'cachers who made a trip to Iraq. Presents its fair share of challenges, I'm sure...talk about your testy locals!

Go here to see a picture I found. Tell me what kind of GPS unit this is:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/69065155/69065223soVrvk

I heard that Saddam himself was an avid cacher. With caches like the "Muthanna Sarin Cache" and "Falljuah Hidden Nuclear Hideaway." I could see the log entry now:

"Left AA-battery pack, took 35 grams Uranium."

Fun!

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy

Army Scout is in Iraq right now. For the moment, he is a bit busy. However, he was hoping to find that cache, and is upset that it has been archived. He says he might place on to replace it before he comes home, which will be 6 to 12 more months as it looks now.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Army Scout is in Iraq right now. For the moment, he is a bit busy. However, he was hoping to find that cache, and is upset that it has been archived. He says he might place on to replace it before he comes home, which will be 6 to 12 more months as it looks now.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Man, that had to be some kind of dissapointment! To go to all that trouble, the training, the equipment, the MRE's, only to find the cache has been archived???? I'd be firing off some really heated e-mails to one Jeremy Irish...LOL.

But seriously, I know you are one proud pappa at the job our youngsters are doing over there Mike. God Speed to Army Scout and a safe return home after a job well done.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Anyone have a link to that archieved cache? Some friends of mine are curious to see it and I would like to see it again myself!

What's interesting to me is that many of my non-geocaching friends didn't know what a cache was until the war broke out and the media started reporting about weapons caches that have been found.

Now they say "oh, is that like the geocaching you do?" My response is "Well....kinda"

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Moore9KSUcats:

I don't know how many of you watch MAIL CALL, on the History Channel (I think), but recently he showed what was in the various survival vests worn by flyers, at least..

I saw that the other day.

I liked the grab and dash survival packs that was pretty cool.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

i'd like to know why that cache was archived.

on the one hand, there's travel advisories. but on the other, it has significance to the community at large, and, well, there are people who can hunt it!

maybe the hider is deceased? or the container was blown to bits? THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by Trailwalker2:

Heh when my father was in the first gulf war, some fellas from his unit buried some AK-47s and took down the coordinates, is that a geocache?

-J

Ah, sweet! Now they wouldn't let you take those back to the US, would they? I think customs would have a fit about them being assault rifles... but man, I heard those Kalishnikovs are pretty reliable.

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

i'd like to know why that cache was archived.

on the one hand, there's travel advisories. but on the other, it has significance to the community at large, and, well, there are people who can hunt it!

maybe the hider is deceased? or the container was blown to bits? THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

it was archived because of all the sentiments being posted, one was a not so nice anti-war.(they retracted it) jeremy said this was not the place for those messages. i have it on my watch list.

join.gif

Click to subscribe to ozmtngeocachers

if you cache it, they will come.