Letterbox but not a letterbox

Sure. There's nothing to say that letterboxes have to be listed on the letterboxing site. In fact, you can get letterboxing clue anywhere, email, other people's websites. We just did a couple that weren't even listed anywhere yet.

With letterboxing, you choose where to list your boxes.

Besides, if you were to choose one or the other site, listing your box here would get you a lot more traffic. Believe me, we know all about that!

CR

72057_2000.gif

Why not advertise on LB.org? Because it's a pain in the butt.

The guys I dealt with over there are nice guys, but the site is a pain to work with. You have to be Yahoo! member to get on the list and the list is the only way to ensure that your box is listed. The last time I was over there, they discouraged simply emailing the clues. That site is very labor intensive for them as practically nothing is automated. If you don't like the delay of getting your caches approved here, just wait until there are problems with your letterbox.

I can understand a little of why they're wanting to make the site on the cheap, but the list being on Yahoo! is too much. EZboard could have hosted the board and the last time I checked it's was $60 a year--plus has a community chest thing for support. Ikonboard on your own server is free, just have to worry about bandwidth.

LB.org could easily make things easier. I just don't understand why they don't.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

LB.org could _easily_ make things easier. I just don't understand why they don't.

To exclude people that can't deal with the *problems*? icon_razz.gif

But really, Why make a letterbox Hybrid your not going to attempt to let the letterboxers know about it?? That would be like me hiding a bunch of geocaches and not listing them on ANY of the caching websites. It jsut doesn't make any sense.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Well, I do have to go back to my earlier point of being able to find clues anywhere.

Still, if not listing on letterboxing.org is meant for it be semi-secret, then listing on GC.com kind of blows that.

Besides if more people list hybrids that are closer to pure letterboxes here instead of lb.org, then more and more boxers will start coming here to get their clues.

Plus, it's not as if letterboxers have to feel their boxes have to have alot of traffic. I'm told some boxes are never found.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Besides if more people list hybrids that are closer to pure letterboxes here instead of lb.org, then more and more boxers will start coming here to get their clues.

And if we start listing all the cave's locations here, maybe he can lure in some spelunkers... Oh wait, they don't seem to like that idea icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif.

quote:
Plus, it's not as if letterboxers _have_ to feel their boxes have to have alot of traffic. I'm told some boxes are _never_ found.

icon_confused.gif So, your saying if you don't want your box found, don't tell anyone where it is? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

icon_confused.gif So, your saying if you don't want your box found, don't tell anyone where it is? icon_confused.gif

It's not that you don't tell anyone where it is. You simply don't post it in a clues warehouse like lb.org.

Here's another way to look at it. You don't have to advertise your box. You might spread various clues among a few boxes and if people are smart enough to put it all together, then the box is found.

In these cases, just finding the clues is part of the challenge.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I just checked the Letterboxing site and, while their list is run out of Yahoo!, you do not have to be a Yahoo! member to subscribe. Nor, it appears, to post a message.

Check out the LbNA Talk List Info page for more information.

The list archives are a Yahoo! group and you would probably have to use a Yahoo! address to check them out. I must be missing something about your complaint. Yahoo! addresses are free. Just sign up for a free address and then subscribe to (join) their group. What's the big deal?

I realize that LbNA is not as automated as Geocaching.com and that might be sufficient reason not to have them list your cache. On second thought, you really should list on their site.

Using their mailing list as an excuse just doesn't float as a decent reason. I must be missing something.

Well, here's how I've seen it in the past, though it's gotten a little better.

The message board: You had to sign up with Yahoo! first. Then you had to join the group. That's a two step process. Then, the message board really sucks. There are tons of alternative sites out there to host a message board.

True, you don't actually have to go to the board to get your messages, you can have them sent directly to you. Yeah, that's right, have your mail box filled with [LbNA] messages from the list. This is what I do because it's a lot easier than going to the site and dealing with all of the Yahoo! ads.

However, you still have to be a Yahoo! member as the list will not accept a message from email addresses that aren't members. This means if you forward email from home to work and want to post from work, you have to set up a local account to check your home mail so you can post from your home address at work. It's not like here, you just log in and post.

Getting listed: Used to, you had to post your clues to the list, then when they got around to it and admin would create your page for you. If you wanted to change something, you had to email them and wait for the change. The best way was to create the page yourself somewhere and email them the URL. You could change the page at will, but you had to be knowledgable with HTML to create the page in the first place.

Personally, I really think the above complaints are major factors for boxing not taking off as fast as caching. Letterbox style clues and hunts are getting bigger around here, but not pure letterboxes.

In short, compare GC.com to LB.org. It's so much easier to use GC.com, but that only highlights the pain in the butt it is to use LB.org.

After listing my first couple of boxes on the LB.org, I quit. After the site's change over, I did post one more box. I'm still not satisfied with the site.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Don't letterbox, but I agree with you about Yahoo groups. Yahoo groups have their purposes, but I think that the people needed to have a plan especially when things grow. I use Ikonboard. Of course you have to pay for your own space that includes bandwidth and all. If it's a free thing and they don't take in money to cover things, then it won't be worth their trouble to consider something like that. Things on my site are not automated with exception of course of the message board and my classifieds, but there is another person who has a website that usesa different type of forum software. Actually it has nothing to do with the forum software, but they can code out ASP pages. They have a campground submission script that they wrote themselves that people can post campgrounds that they know of and visit. It's automatic and goes right into the system.

Do they verify anything with them as the approvers do here with caches?

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

Yikes. I didn't realize it was quite that bad to register a Letterboxing 'cache'. I wonder what it would take to add a "+ Letterbox" setting for caches so that we could search for caches that are also Letterboxes.

We really have things good here.

quote:
Plus, it's not as if letterboxers have to feel their boxes have to have alot of traffic. I'm told some boxes are never found.

How would they even know unless they visit the letterbox and check the log? It's one of the reasons I like the "xxxx found your cache" e-mail feature at GC.COM. I've heard of letterboxers who include postage paid, self-addressed post cards, but if postage rates change, they are pretty useless.

My wife decided she liked the idea of letterboxing, so we started a few weeks ago and have found about a dozen. It's amazing how close many letterboxes are to geocaches. Some we've found have been as close as 100 feet to geocaches I've found previously and in every single instance there was a geocache within a half mile of the letterbox.

I guess there are only so many good places to hide things.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

My 10 year old daughter and her friend just hid two letterboxes in a local canyon park. I am not a member of the Yahoo group, but I was able to post it without problem. I think they recently redid the site, so that you do it directly (and can check off wether you want your new LB to go to the yahoo group). I know the old site still exists, so maybe you are still reading the old stuff.

Try http://www.letterboxing.org/

Laura

I thought that a letterbox cache was basically a regular (or offset) cache with a stamp. Cachers can either sign in the normal way or trade stampings. Since this is my perception, I don't have a problem with the cache only being listed on GC.com.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on July 07, 2003 at 12:41 PM.]