Question on cache approvals

Eric K

Please do not turn this into a flame. I am just curious. I was looking at some caches and noticed this at the bottom of one.

"Congratulations, since your new cache has all the required parts, not closer than 0.1 mile from anything else and you are close enough to properly maintain it, it has been approved!! As a cache placer, you have the ability to improve (or degrade) the quality of Geocaching in your area. I hope that this cache will be a positive addition. Enjoy!

Cheers & Thanks for your contributions to Geocaching,

*****, your friendly neighborhood Admin."

My question is on the line "you are close enough to maintain it"

The reason being I have placed 3 successful Bug Hotels in rest areas.

I-196 South Bug Hotel

I-55 Prarie Oasis Bug Hotel

I-74 West Bug Hotel at Salt Kettle Rest Area

Before anyone starts yelling at me please check out the links for the caches and you will see they have worked quite well. If there has been any problems, members of the geocaching community have helped me out. I take care of the caches from 'afar' and I do alot of traveling so I can visit them periodically. Since they are Bug Hotels and not traditional caches I don't have to worry about keeping them stocked with "McToys" :-)

Each cache was also carefully thought out and only placed in rest areas with hiking trails and you can tell from the amount of time they have been there that they are well hidden.

I guess my question is if I wanted to do more of these would they still be allowed if I don't reside a certain distance from where the cache is located?

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

A team mate of mine had that same post on the bottom of his cache page the other day when it was approved; I’m sure it’s the same approver. We talked about it and liked the ideal that he would take the time to write that and for him to say "you have the ability to improve (or degrade) the quality of Geocaching in your area" is a way to make you think about the caches you own or soon will.

So people please make it a well thought out cache and not just one placed real quickly just to place it. And being close enough to maintain it is a plus, if someone posts they couldn't find it, and that it is possibly not there anymore, you will need to be able to go check on it.

Now that more caches are out there they can and are being pickier as to have better caches out ther, it's good for everyone and the sport itself.

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.