...but you CAN drill for oil!

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

I found it interesting that while I cannot get a permit for a geocache in a wilderness area, thirteen states WILL give me a permit to drill for oil in a wilderness area!

There is an irrational fear that hordes of geocachers will decend on the parks, polluting, tearing up the flora, and digging up the land.

It goes beyond drilling in the wilderness areas. People are allowed to graze cattle, drill for oil and gas, and STRIP MINE on BLM land. In some parks, there are ORV areas, you can ride a snowmobile through Yellowstone. I could go on, but the bottom line is we need to educate starting with local officials first. These are the people that interpret and enforce the rules in the parks and protected areas. Then we need to have dialogue up the chain.

We can say, "this is public land and we(the public) have the right to use the land the way we see fit, but in truth, we need to dialogue to get use permits just like the Oil Companies.

Nice weather, but cool here, and there's one more waypoint we need to find a cache (the only one within thirty miles not on our found list), so....

Richard and Tracy