Lamest cache you've ever seen

I want to know just how that South Pole Cache got approved with this listed in the contents:

"six knives inluding a couple of great pocket knives, three key chain knives, a 13 function camp knife, "

and don't forget:

"a silver bullet from the masked marauder,"

Who placed this, Charles Manson?

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I want to know just how that South Pole Cache got approved with this listed in the contents:

"six knives inluding a couple of great pocket knives, three key chain knives, a 13 function camp knife, "

and don't forget:

"a silver bullet from the masked marauder,"

Who placed this, Charles Manson?

It was hidden before the ban on pocket knives in caches, according to the date. And a lot of folks in the western states (the cache is in Utah) aren't unhappy to find such trade items...

Ron/yumitori

I have found my fair share of lame caches, and I will leave polite hints in my log or in an e-mail to the hider about what I did not like (placed on private property, placed in a lousy area, placed in a bad container, placed in an obvious location likely to be plundered, mis-rated, etc.). But I will not embarrass anyone by linking to their cache in the forums for all the world to see.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I think it was a lame 1/1 virt. Something someone just placed so he could say he placed a cache.

I wonder............

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Centex Trekker,

The cache you've singled out was created in an attempt to free a travel bug being held hostage according to this thread. It doesn't look like it was something the cache owner really wanted to do, but it did achieve its intended purpose; the travel bug was set free.

Has your opinion changed any, given this additional information?

Worldtraveler

I've found several (and placed several), but I don't see the need to post links to them here.

It's kind of rude to tell someone their cache is lame. You wouldn't tell them they're too fat, or ugly, or make fun of their house, or car. Same thing.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Like The Leprechauns & BrianSnat, I've found my share of lame caches, but I don't think there would be any benefit in linking to them here. I will, however, share some characteristics of caches that I considered lame.

Containers inadequate for their environment. If they can't protect the logbook & contents from the elements, they are trash-in-the-making. I've NEVER found a Gladware cache that wasn't ready for the trashbin.Lack of a decent logbook. Loose sheets (or scraps) of paper, or poorly bound logbooks are shoddy, IMO. Geocaching.com sells decent, durable logbooks. Buy them or something at least as good. If it's a microcache, consider using the letter & logsheet found here and here.Trashy location. I'm up for a good challenge, and I don't mind getting dirty; but I don't like wading through heaps of trash and other refuse while searching for a cache. Even if the purpose of the cache is CITO, try to find a nice place for the cache.

When I find a cache with these characteristics, I get the impression (right or wrong) that the owner doesn't really care much about the sport or its participants, but has placed it primarily for his own ego gratification.

Worldtraveler

Worldtraveler, you said it very well. Do you mind if I quote you in the future?

Centex Trekker, maybe you can remove the link to the cache and just add a brief description.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...Do you mind if I quote you in the future?

Wow, I don't know what to say... Quote me if you like, I guess, but please recognize the dubious reputation of your source. I don't carry much weight in these forums or anywhere else for that matter. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

The lamest cache i've been to would probly have been one that was IMO, very poorly thought out.

From the cache page, "I went cheap on this one and placed all the goodies inside a tall BIG GULP container - washed of course. I sealed the straw hole with some duct tape. Please let me know how this one holds up and please put everything back EXACTLY how you found it! PLEASE??!! "

Yes, the container started leaking quite quickly. When I found the cache in August (about four months later), the last 500ft threw tall grass and stickers, etc, wasn't so fun. And it(the empty cup) was in the bottom of the little stream it had been hidden near to. icon_frown.gif

The good news is that the cache is now a much better container. icon_smile.gif

Cache identity withheld.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Og's outfit:

Why do you think that one is lame, Oregone?

<snip>

That's IT!!! We're going to Fist City, and I'm driving!

Be careful not to get shot. icon_biggrin.gif Couldn't you just put the cache IN the shooting range Oregone?

hehehee

I don't remember the name, but it was a cheap tupperware container filled with junk and soaked from rain. What made it lame is that for a month or so, the logs all looked like mine -- soaked and in need of maintenance. The cache owner let this thing just sit there for way too long while people wasted their time going after it. Geotrash.

Not really a 'lame' cache, but definitely found one that is totally trashed by water because it is placed at creek's edge.

There have been many logs stating the cache is wet/ frozen etc.

Still there, still being found, still being written up in the logs. Could be moved 20' to a dry location.

Wonder if it would be kosher to replace the old container with a nice dry one and move it myself? I think I'll email the owner and ask.

Owner is a student and hasn't found a cache since 9/02. Probably not a student of Geology or Meteorology- I admit that there was a time that *I* didn't know rivers and creeks rise.

Not that far from Aurora IL, I wonder if we are discussing the same cache?

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Good Lord Oregone!!! I've read some of the posts from your "lame cache" suggestion.

Thanks for the fun"

"Fun park"

Thanks for the cache".

The log I missed was "thanks for the public bashing......."

It's all relative. I use official Geocache labels on my ammo cans. I put really nice swag in them. And oddly enough, after a half hour of mosquitos and thorns, some people don't like my caches.

Oh, the pain of rejection..........

Minnesota Geocaching Association

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Worldtraveler, you said it very well.

I agree. You, on the other hand, made it sound like people who place lame caches are too fat, ugly and they have lousy houses and cars.icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

J/K of course.icon_biggrin.gif

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

Couldn't you just put the cache IN the shooting range Oregone?

Hehe. One of the reasons why i think it's a lame cache is because i didn't even know there was a shooting range nearby when i placed it. Of course, it's over a year old now so maybe my defense should be that i was just 'filling a hole in the map.'

At any rate, i'm embarassed that my easiest cache is also my most found cache. Everyone that finds it must think that i go hiding that same cheap-*** tupperware in every park i run across.

Also--to get back to the original topic of this thread--i guess i'd be pretty mad if someone posted a link to my caches just because they thought they were lame. When i was new, i placed the worst possible cache imaginable. Luckily, an experienced geocacher emailed me privately and told me--in polite terms--how to fix it.

Then again, i guess that since i wasn't on the forums back then, if he brought it up here i would have never known that he was making fun of me. So maybe no harm done.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Like The Leprechauns & BrianSnat, I've found my share of lame caches, but I don't think there would be any benefit in linking to them here. I will, however, share some characteristics of caches that I considered lame.

((Additional text deleted for brevity))

I am in complete agreement with the characteristics listed above. When I think back to the two worst caches that I have found, they were each hidden in areas that could only be described as unauthorized town dumps. I enjoy the way that GeoCaching gets me off the beaten path and allows me to discover beautiful scenes, and I am really disappointed when I am led to a trash dump where the container might be one of numerous sofas, tires, small appliances, etc. To my mind, caches placed in such surroundings completely miss the point about what is good about cache hunting.