Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Guest PneumaticDeath

Guest PneumaticDeath

I'm a little more paranoid that most, but I dislike it when a web site forces my broswer to connect too much.

I noticed a lot of traffic on my network that I couldn't account for. I thought maybe I'd picked up a trojan or worm (though I'm pretty carful about that, but I shudder to think how many security holes there are in IE). Well I finally tracked it back to a web-bug in the geocaching web pages. The offending code is:

<script language='javascript' src='http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/48316084/x.js?cmd=file&file=chatScript3&site=48316084&category=en;liveperson;3'>

And apparently this causes my web browser to report back to the host server.iad.liveperson.net every second or so telling them which web page I'm on in the geocaching web site. I did a cursory amount of research on the liveperson site, and apparently this is an eCRM service, though they had so many marketing buzzwords just on the front page that I felt vaugely ill just looking at it.

However, I don't like being tracked. I'm savvy enough that I can just blackhole that ip (207.153.203.227) at my firewall, but it's still annoying.

Jeremy: Why do you need to do this? What are you hoping to learn? Does geocaching really need leveraged eCRM? eek.gif

-- Mitch

Guest Peter Scholtz

I also asked Jeremy, here is his reply:

Hmm. Odd. What browser are you using?

It's a tool to help folks that are new to the site. It allows you to send a

chat request in order to answer questions in real time. It was offered free

by LivePerson so I figured I'd play around with it.

What's the error?

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2001 11:49 AM

To: Jeremy Irish

Subject: liveperson

Jeremy,

The JavaScript code for liveperson is causing my browser to report an error.

Probably because I have Visual Studio installed (report bowser errors) ...

What is this liveperson stuff? You trying to figure the number of unique

visitors?

Regards

Peter Scholtz

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest jeremy

Yeah. The plan wasn't to play big brother, I am just trying out the tool. I'll play with it one more day and probably abandon it. It's not like I have a staff to answer questions 24x7.

Jeremy