How many Caches in one day?

I was just wondering how many caches have you found in one day. I don't care if they are virtuals or traditional. Just the number of caches in one day.

Did you make a special trip there to get those or are they in your backyard so to speak?

What gave me the idea to ask is that the other day we did several virtuals in the evening after work and I thought to my self that if I had all day, man I could find alot of these things.

Another cacher and I hit 47 caches of all types in one day and it wasn't the most cache rich area that we could have hit either. I think that was in a 12 hour period.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Similar thread:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=49260631&r=25060906#25060906

Have done 74 with 3-party (w/ vdbalamo and jimswim), 60 w/ 2-party (w/ vdbalamo), and 45 by self (me driving). Someone in Arizona did 55, finshing the evening with a partner as I understand it. For my above, all in Calif, the driving miles were 400, 300, and ~200. Planning is everything... well, besides finding the caches.

Oh my! And here I thought that my personal best was 10 in D.C. just a few weeks ago was something to be proud of. WOW! Now I know that I am not addicted.... whew! Had me worried!

--------------------------------------------------

"If you ever go temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised." - Jack Handy

quote:
Canadazuuk wrote:

Not a chance. They could be reasonably expected to hit 40-50 per person... and that's a 16 hour day.

I agree. I doubt that they're going to get anywhere close to a hundred. On a sixteen hour day that would require averaging 1 cache every 9.6 minutes. Even doing a 24 hour day would require finding a cache every 14.5 minutes and that includes travel time between caches. Having a problem finding one cache could screw the whole day up. Personally, I don't think a hundred in a day is remotely possible.

At the Yakima Cache Machine held at the end of March, we found 68 caches during an approximately 13.5-hour period. (Some of us logged fewer than that as we had already found some of the ones included on the tour.) That involved driving well over 200 miles. Given that, I think that 100 in a day is quite possible. It all depends on what the cache density and terrain are like in the area. Having not cached in Victoria, I can't say if 100 or even 50 is possible there in a day. However, TravisL is pretty good at planning these things.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Some of us logged fewer than that as we had already found some of the ones included on the tour.

The difference between signing logbooks on a guided tour and actually finding caches will be the deciding factor I am sure.

I am trying to arrange my attendance. On my previous guided tour of Victoria, I did 40 caches in 48 hours... but we were going for a balance between easy finds and great sites...

quote:
Moun10Bike wrote:

Given that, I think that 100 in a day is quite possible.

Well, I won't argue the point because you may very well be right. It just seems a bit unreasonable considering that you've only got a few minutes to find each cache -- there are several caches that I've just walked up to and found nearly instantly but there are also many that have taken a fair bit longer to find.

You mention 'we'. How many people are you talking about here? I assume that these Cache Machine events are not a single person?

On the Yakima Cache Machine, I count 27 logged finds. Of those, a couple are locals who were just along for the social aspect and didn't participate in the finding, at least one person who participated and logged the event as a note, and at least 2 accounts that cover 2 people. So, I would guess that at full strength we had around 30 people on the hunt. We frequently split up, though, so the number was often smaller.

Certainly, such a large group can make short work of a normally difficult hunt. That is part of what made the number of caches we hit possible despite the large amount of driving.

One thing that makes me think that 100 is very doable is that we actually followed a very leisurely pace on the YCM. We even had a long break in the middle that centered around an awesome picnic lunch set up by the local cachers for us in the heart of the Yakima Canyon.

Oh, and as for the 'guided tour' comment, I didn't mean to give the impression that we were being led to the caches. We found them all fair and square; that's just a lot easier (and faster) with a big group like we had. The whole day was easily one of the most fun geocaching outings I've ever been on, and an incredible social event. A lot of friends were made that day.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Having a problem finding one cache could screw the whole day up. Personally, I don't think a hundred in a day is remotely possible.

I can see 100 in a day. You can't linger at caches that are hard to find. You have to figure, if you can't find it in a few minutes, it's time to move on.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Why would you wanna find that many in a day? just so you wouldn't have any caches to find in the near future?? I once did 12 in a day and hated myself for it for weeks. I go caching to relax. I was not relaxed, I did not have fun. We just drove and drove and drove. One, maybe two a day will do it for me in the future, keeps it more fun for this old fart. And isn't that what it is all about? Plus, it leaves more for me to do tomorrow, or the next day.

Bender

Searching, for the lost Xanadu

Geez I thought 7 finds on the streets of Melbourne (with no planning) was a good day...finished in the dark in Albert Park (for all those Victorian caches you know the one I mean!!!)

I had to attempt a lot as I'm not from Melbourne so was touring! Had to get as many as I could (who knows when I will be there next!)

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

Why would you wanna find that many in a day? just so you wouldn't have any caches to find in the near future??

yeah, that's what i was thinking. i don't own a car and so if i can't get to a cache in the city on foot/subway/bus, i'm not nearly as likely to go after it. i've got a zipcar membership -- a really nifty car-sharing service -- but even though it's cheaper than renting, an all-day cache outing would still be pricey. so i don't wanna find every single cache in the boston metro area within a month. then there'd be no fun for next month!

plus, meta and i went after 4 this past saturday and i was about ready to die by the end of it. way too much walking for this pasty geek. (you won't see me going after any of those 5-star terrain caches any time soon...)

-- rothko

It is very interesting to hear the differnt outlooks on doing alot of caches in one day.

I was just wondering what were some of the numbers that people have done.

Me personally, I have found 4 so far in one day two different times. One day was 4 virtuals and the other was a fun filled day of finding 4 traditional caches along the Appalachian Trail.

Me personally, I wouldn't want to do to many in one day, but if it is one of your lifelong goals of trying to get 100 caches in a day go for it.

mustanglx

By 12:00 noon, the Victoria Cache Machine was hitting caches at the rate of 7.1 per hour, which would have allowed us to get 121, all things being equal. In the end, though, many participants only managed to get counts in the low 70s. That was primarily to tougher-than-expected terrain on quite a few of the caches (quarter mile walks along rocky beach outcroppings, for example), and departure from the cache-dense city core after lunch.

No, it's definitely not relaxing. It is, however, a heck of a lot of fun. Kind of like storm chasers, I imagine.

quote:
so i don't wanna find every single cache in the boston metro area within a month. then there'd be no fun for next month!

On a selfish note, I've planned the cache machine events far enough away from my home territory that this isn't an issue. It takes me to cities that I otherwise wouldn't visit.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

THREE! That's right, you can stand there in disbelief and think I must fake my finds but yes indeed... THREE whole caches in ONE SINGLE day!

Tried to go for 5 on Saturday, got the third then was stumped on the fourth and was too tired to look for the fifth and decided to come back another day. icon_wink.gif

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

Fishingfools and I drove two hours west to the Triad area this past Sunday. We found 14 (well 13 for him since I found a cool virtual of his there). Only one other virtual, and 3 were multis. None were park and grabs, but all in park settings with some hiking involved.

Including driving back in very nasty rain it was a 15 hour day and I can't wait to do it again.

PS There were NO DNF's logged either.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane