Using Visor (Palm OS) How do I download cache info to it?

RAD Dad

Is there any software out there to download the cache info (all of it, coordinates, description, find logs ect.) to my Visor (uses palm o.s.) I know you can download to that easygps program for the PC, but I want to be able to have all the logs, coordinates, and descriptions on my Visor. I'm new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I use AvantGo's software to sync to web pages using their "Create Auto Channel" feature. Once you load their software, go to the Geocaching page that you want to seek and create a new AvantGo channel. Then sync. The page looks best when the Palm options are set to "show images" and NOT to "show tables"

I just found IE2PDB today, and really like it.

It adds a new button to Internet Explorer's toolbar. When you find yourself on a web page you want to move to your Palm OS device, just click and drag to select whatever text you want, then click on the new IE2PDB button. A control opens that allows you to select a name for the page, then click the PROCESS button. The page is converted into a DOC file and queued into your desktop manager for the next hotsync.

I very quickly used it to put copies of the caches I've yet to do in my area. Note that it only converts text, so you get the details, the logs, the hint, all that stuff, but not any pics or maps.

Member:

banner-small.gif

I also use Avantgo, with a few custom channels Brian was good enough to put together for me, as well as other Utah cachers. It is fantastic, and I swear by it.

Before that came along, I used my memo pad. I just copied all the text from a cache page, pasted it into the Palm interface, and hotsynced. This is the long way around, but worked well for me for a long time. Be sure (if you go this route) and get the hint decoder as well. The Pathetique channels do the decoding for you, which is also very handy.

There is another endorsement. Go nuts.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

Brian's AvantGo indexes are great, but there are problems. AvantGo's terms of service now have a per site limit of 8 users, which Brian's index pages exceed. They are in danger of going away for this reason and others. As much as I love the layout, they aren't a long-term solution.

The problem is that any data that doesn't come from Geocaching.com is going to run into problems. This is my #1 feature request and I've made it clear on at least a dozen occasions to no avail. If anyone is listening, I'll donate knowledge, programming time, and hardware to make it work. I just need access to the data. Is that clear enough?

In the mean time, I'll use my cobbled PHP scripts and keep them to myself.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I use a program used plucker.

It is still being developed but it is stable and aviable at most palm download sites.

It works with Windows, Unix (Linux), and MAC.

READ the instructions bacuse it is not very intuitive. You have to edit some text files.

It collects the pages and you can view then offline on you palm.

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

Brian's AvantGo indexes are great, but there are problems. AvantGo's terms of service now have a per site limit of 8 users, which Brian's index pages exceed.

...AvantGo hasn't sent me The Letter yet. Actually, I'm not sure that I have more than eight AvantGo users -- I have a few dozen users, but some of them are using other web-to-PDA applications. Even if I am over eight, I'm sure that AvantGo is going after the obviously commercial, heavy-use sites first. So Tres is quite right that my stuff is in danger, but I'm currently in "What, me worry?" mode.

Plucker (http://www.plkr.org/) is really nice, but as Lone Rangers pointed out, it's a little harder to use than AvantGo. iSilo (http://www.isilo.com/) is a commercial product, as slick and easy-to-use as AvantGo, but it costs $17.50 to buy after 30-day trial. Neither of these two have any limits on the number of users per site. I have all three products on my Visor, mostly for testing, and they're all good.

I hope I can keep the service running, or alternatively, I hope I can cancel the service because there's something better available. It's really handy to carry cache information on your PDA, I'd hate to have to give it up.

Well, thanks for all the replies and good ideas. I have tried AvantGO, problem I ran into is it keeps telling me I need to log on, and to do that I have to enter user name, password, then resync. Thing is, even after it see's me as being logged on, it somehow decides I logged off, and then I can't view things again...pain in the rear. I think I will try and use that site that is optimized for the palm, it appears that many of the caches in my area are there on that site.

If anyone understands my problem with loggin in/out with Avantgo (this is a problem unique to pages at geocache, never run into it when I go to some other things I use avantgo for.) help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Oh....and I tried to go find a cache today, using a Magellan 300, it was one my dad got for free a few years ago for test driving a Lincoln with OnStar. Anyway, I found it so frustrating to use, and so slow that I went out and bought a Garmin Etrex Legend....MUCH better, much easier, and updates position fast. (plus I can hook it up to my laptop and with streets and trips see where I am on a map and where I'm going)

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

Thanks, Brian.And if it comes down to having to pay to keep your valuable app. running, I'll gladly throw in some $. It's been a real asset.

Gary "Gimpy Strong

Thanks, Gimpy, but I'm never going to charge for this. The way I figure it, there are thousands of geocachers out there putting many hours of effort (and money) into creating caches for me to hunt. They don't charge me for their work, so it doesn't seem right that I should charge them for merely collating the data.

I love that Palmable Geocaching site. It makes things much easier. I have settled on iSilo. Looked seriously at plucker but it is a little more work than I am willing to put in for such a simple task, and Avant Go is a pain with it's size limitations and all, plus the stupid ads.

Now I saw on the Palmable Geocaching site a notice that you may not be able to continue updating due to issues with Geocaching.com have you worked this out? If not, I hope you will. Frankly I don't understand why geocaching.com doesn't offer to host your site or use your program so that all the geocaches will be palmable. It's a fantastic service!

Although I'm usually a lurker, I just gotta put in a good word about Brian's service. I signed up after finding one of his travel bugs and it works wonderfully. The only down side is when the hints are in the form of pictures as they aren't transferred to the Visor. If I really need the picture, I note it on the Visor and take paper copies of what I need for the next trip out.

Now, we just go --- if we need more than what's in the Visor, we usually can figure it out before spending an hour searching some obscure location.

Jeremy, if you can work something out with Brian to keep this going, it sure is the single best companion to www.geocaching.com.

Kudos to both Brian and Jeremy.

spidertea

[This message was edited by spiderteam on March 29, 2002 at 05:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

I love that Palmable Geocaching site. It makes things much easier. I have settled on iSilo. Looked seriously at plucker but it is a little more work than I am willing to put in for such a simple task, and Avant Go is a pain with it's size limitations and all, plus the stupid ads.

Plucker really isn't that hard to use. It uses text files to configure it instead of a flashy interface. Its open source so it eventualy someone will write interface into it. When they do give it another go.

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by spiderteam:

Jeremy, if you can work something out with Brian to keep this going, it sure is the single best companion to http://www.geocaching.com.

Kudos to both Brian and Jeremy.

spidertea

Or work on something to make Brian's service not needed. You should be able to use style sheets to make palm friendly pages. I've never had the need to do this on my webpages but www.w3c.org has some info on doing this.

- Lone Rangers

I just got Plucker installed on my windows box. very smooth and not really that hard at all.

Im messing iwth getting all the caches in my local area scooped up and ploped on the palm.

My Palm has also now got the right cables to talk directly to my little yellow eTrex. I ve been messing with it for the last coupel of hours and its really amazing.

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

GeoClipping

Use this application to clip information from the cache pages at Geocaching.com, formatted for the MemoPad application of your Palm.

The cache information will be cleaned up, and formatted to read nice in MemoPad. The content will be truncated to 4k, so it will fit one memo.

License to use is hereby granted to the GeoCaching community, released to the public domain.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geocaching.htm