1/24,000 topo map vector data announced by Garmin

Finally something a lot of people have been asking for. I wonder however just how is it's going to be to see all that data on the small screens. The memory usage is probably pretty substantial since you're increaseing the amount of data enormously over the current 100K scale. It's not amatte rof 4 to one by 16 to one since you're dealing with square areas

What effect the vector method has I this I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

What effect the vector method has I this I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Alan

The vector graphics are what make this possible. Raster graphics which is what the USGS uses for its maps and data is simply too large to be practical.

NOt just parks.

a quote from garmin

"The 24K TOPO CD offers topographic data for most of the major national parks, national forests and recreational sites in the United States, displaying such information as contours, summit elevations, park amenities, and points of interest."

sounds pretty good to me. I've been thinking of getting an etrex vista. a question, how much space does one 100K topo map take up? How many can be fit into 24MB RAM?

"The vector graphics are what make this possible. Raster graphics which is what the USGS uses for its maps and data is simply too large to be practical."

Actually, Genius Loci and I have been using a setup that does allow us to use the USGS 1:24000 DRG (Raster) topos. The setups are:

*iPAQ PDA w/bluetooth

*Bluetooth GPS (Any gps would do but this allows me to place my iPAQ in a waterproof otter box)

*Ozi Explorer and OziCE

*LARGE storage media. This is pretty easy as we both use expansion packs on the iPAQ to improve battery life. I use a 1 GB microdrive.

You can download for FREE the DRG's from most states. Here are the steps:

*You download the quad

*Import them in Ozi Explorer

*Convert them to OziCE format, by the way this compresses them to about 1/2 the size

*Copy them to you Pocket PC

This allows incredible GPS detail and allows you to track your position right on the topo!

I asked, and according to Garmin tech support you cannot load DOQQ images, or any 3rd party imagery into their units (Trimble can -- C'mon Garmin, keep up!).

I ran DOQQ images through MrSid image compression and reduced files size 90% with imperceptible loss of resolution. I am still working on it and may have a 'back door' method.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

"Keep up?"

It doesn't fit in with their marketing plan.

I suspect that Magellan isn't far behind in this. I sent them an email about vector topos awhile back and received a curiously worded response that hinted that they were working on it. The unlimited expansion of the Meridian is made just for something like this.

Congrats to someone for actually thinking things through!