Explaining geocaching to a non-cacher

Do you find it challenging to explain GC to a non-cacher? I do. You can't really explain it in one or two sentences. Then you have to gell them about the Internet, web site, GPS units, logging, and everything else. By the time you're done, they're overwhelmed and thinking "What's the point?". Maybe we need a marketing brochure to give out. Then we could just say, "Here. Read this and check out the website."

GPS/Website = Treasure Map!

Cache = Buried Treasure.

"Fifteen men and a dead mans chest, Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"..

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Do you find it challenging to explain GC to a non-cacher? I do. You can't really explain it in one or two sentences. Then you have to gell them about the Internet, web site, GPS units, logging, and everything else. By the time you're done, they're overwhelmed and thinking "What's the point?". Maybe we need a marketing brochure to give out. Then we could just say, "Here. Read this and check out the website."

I just tell them it's a High Tech Treasure Hunt. Someone hides a treasure somewhere, then let's everyone know where he hid it. I find that usually is enought... Lots of people really aren't into anything that takes them away from the comfort of their couch and tv.

On the other hand....those who are into outdoor activites enjoy hearing all the details and will ask all the right questions.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

After giving some one a 20 minute explination of geocaching. They said "sounds like a waste of time to me" I just walked away.

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

I don't find it difficult at all...but then, I don't really try to "sell" anyone on it.

"Someone goes out and hides something, somewhere. They record where they hide it using a GPS. They put the location coordinates on the Internet, and anyone with access to the website, and a GPS, can go out and find it."

Doesn't get much simpler than that. As has been said...some get it, some don't. Everyone can't be as cool as we are. icon_biggrin.gif

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

First cache I hit yesterday was a micro at a state historical site in Indiana. As I was looking for it the caretaker came out and asked if I needed any help. I explained the game to him and his response was "COOL! Let's find it!"

Gotta give the guy credit, he was really excited and actually spotted the cache first. I think a big plus for him was when I explained that this was likely going to bring a lot of new tourists to his site, and even though it doesn't open until April, he gave me a quick tour. VERY cool place.

Like many others, the best way to explain it to this guy was to take him on the hunt with me. That always seems to work best.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I just sent this email to a friend's brother, who she thought might be interested in 'caching:

"Your sister believes you have too much time on your hands. I too, have had the same problem, and like you, I believe that pursuing utterly useless endeavors is the only way to prove that I am in control of my life.

So, she thinks this game that I've been wasting time and gasoline on for the last year is something you would find fulfilling. Basically, people hide stuff, post the coordinates of said stuff on the internet, and you go find the stuff. You are also expected to reverse the process occasionally by hiding stuff of your own. The game has all the best components -- high tech gadgetry, aimless wandering, and time away from bothersome family members -- as well as time wasting internet searches and bulletin board forum addictions to further whittle away those annoying moments when you know that you should be doing work. Plus, as an added bonus, you get to think up a cool geek name for yourself to hide your true identity.

I've done this all around the United States, and most recently found it as a welcome justification for a beer run to Belgium a couple of weekends ago. (I have a very tolerant wife, believe me.)

So, check out www.geocaching.com, buy yourself a GPS receiver, and go find some swag of your own. I look forward to searching out a cache of your stuff in the near future.

That about sums it up for me...

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I had to explain what I was doing to the friendly police officer that wanted to know why we had parked our car on the road to the sewerage plant. Told him it was a high tech treasure hunt, gave him my printed copy of the cache details and map from the web site...

I think he was annoyed the patrol chief had seen our car parked in a strange (but not dangerous) place, and got him to investigate.

I like your reply! Maybe it was your reply, or maybe it's because it is late, I'm tired, and feeling silly, but your response had me LOL. Thanks for the laugh!

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

What's really fun is to walk up to the counter at some government official's office with the hope of talking to the supervisor and trying to introduce yourself and explain what you want in as few of words as possible.

Hi, I'm Bob and I want to hide something on your property . . .

About that point they're ready to call security.

quote:
Rusty O Junk...

Is your flyer available in a MS Word file by chance?

Want to share?

Dale

I made it in Printmaster but I think it can be loaded in Print-Shop too. Wish it was in PDF format to make it easier to share but if you can use it I'll be more than glad to send it to you.

For me, one word: "Treasure-hunt"

If their eyes haven't glazed over at that, they might get the explanation that others have posted.

I must admit, I initially was of the "What's the point? Why waste time searching for random trinkets when you can simply buy what you want?" ilk when I first heard of it--after all the GPS locates it for you... But I was hearing about it second-hand, as my brother had run across a cacher while hiking. It wasn't until I was looking to blow some cash on a toy when I ran across the web references and found out about the "search" and "clues" aspect--nevermind the inaccuracies of GPS.

It's not just a bunch of trash that gets carried from point to point, each cache is it's own challenge, mystery and puzzle complemented by a hike, bird-watching, mountain biking, or other pleasant activity.

Some people, of course, don't enjoy challenges, mysteries or puzzles...

They're not welcome to come caching w/me,

Randy

Like Rusty O Junk, I developed a flyer. The people that I talked to out in the field seemed interested, but I knew that they wouldn't remember the website. I thought that someone should come up with a handout, then realized that I was someone.

You can read the text of the brochure at:

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway , then click on Geocaching With Jeeps.

It's not the best, but it will get better as I learn more.

I haven't had much luck getting people interested in caching. Most people wonder why I spend hours walking though the woods looking for tupperware. Sigh...

The thing I'm almost getting tired of is this:

friend: "Hey! How's it going? What did you do today?"

me: "I went geocaching!"

friend: "Oh, right...I should have guessed..."

friend: "...So what did you find?"

Oh well. I have made 1.5 converts so far...

While in the car and you have a few minutes to spare, hand another gps to your friend after initiating a GOTO on it. Then Ask your friend, if he/she can get it all the way down to zero feet, then there is a surprize waiting for you.

OR:

"Can you help me find a hidden box", while handing over your spare GPS.

This is a hard one.

I can't get people interested in Geocaching, Disc Golf, or Roller Coasters anymore.

Always different...Hit refresh

maze?90+35+4+1+0+0+0+0+255+255+255

If you are able to get the person to go on a hike, you can choose a nice park, that has a geocache near the trail. Then when you are hiking near to the cache, your friend's gps, will suddenly show an interesting waypoint, near the trail. Then you are close enough, to show a hidden surprize.

It can even be a box you hidden just for your friend, explaining about geocaching, that it can help you get exercize, see new places, and experience Nature.