What's your state's (or country's) "style" ?

In Western Pennsylvania, Eeyore has already noted that the cache will be on the other side of the poison ivy patch. He forgot to mention that the cache will also be at the top of the hill (if you are at the bottom) or at the bottom of the hill (if you are at the top). The thicker the undergrowth, the better. Somewhere in there, the cache usually will be hidden using a fallen tree, stump, or hollow in a live tree. And you will only reach this forsaken place by driving up and down yet more hills, on roads that refuse to meet at right angles.

I've hosted a half dozen visiting geocachers and they've been unanimous in saying that a 1.5 terrain cache in Pittsburgh is a 2.5 to 3.0 where they're from. We may not have the most creative hides, though several of us are working on that, but you'll have a heck of a time just getting to the cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

In Nebraska we're usually looking under

a cow or in a field of corn....

Look at the pic in my profile if you

need a graphic to help with the mental-image.

Don't laugh. Living in Nebraska isn't so

bad. It's makes going on vacation to Kansas

seem exotic by comparison!

Like most people have noted, the "style" in most states seems to be evolving. In West Michigan about a year ago you could pretty much bet on where a cache was before you even left home. Yep, it's in a pile of sticks, under some bark, or in a hollow tree. There were a few exceptions, but man... those really caught me off guard. Lately though, caching standards have been raised dramatically. I see more and more caches hidden right out in the open with the most amazing camo (and not just a paint job... I'm talking people build things to house their caches... and they don't just throw something together.) Seriously, I think around here caches are getting so much better. People are learning to hide things in much more natural settings. For instance... Fake bird nests with coordinates in them for multi caches. Hollowed out pine cones with vials in them with coordinates... fake tree branches, home made trick logs, etc... It's quite amazing what peope come up with to trick people. Also popular around here are the puzzle sort of caches... I enjoy those heartily. I'd like to think that Michigan is becoming an evolved, intellectual caching state... but then... I know umc, so that idea is shot. (Kidding! You know we all love ya!)

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by walkietalkie:

Alaska style is heading to the Hawaiian Islands for your geocaching in the winter. Look and find a coconut tree cache near a beach. icon_biggrin.gif

I heard that in winter, the largest city in Alaska is Honolulu!

In the Philippines, the predominant cache style is a virtual. They are less prone to typhoons and muggles.

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

Originally posted by carleenp:

LOL. Nice to see someone here who I recognize from cache logs!

Hi, carleenp!

Yeah...C-Ya in the cache logs, if the heat ever

lets up.

Thanx for the past, personal response you gave me when I had ?'s about logging TB's.

I really appreciated that!

So far around Vancouver, I've seen a lot of in a hollow stump/log/tree, under a bridge, and just sitting behind trees out in the open where muggles don't bother looking. Also, if there's a rock, log, or chunk of bark blocking off a hole in an object, that's where the cache is going to be.

There have also been a lot of creative hides.

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

In Austin it's the ubiquitous Unnatural Rock Pile. Sometimse a few sticks are thrown in for variety, sometimes not.

We have recently snagged 500 50 cal ammo cans at surplus auction, so most of our caches here are being upgraded to Ammo can in a pile of rocks. I like to paint my cache containers flat black; makes 'em dang hard to find even when staring right at it.

quote:
Originally posted by lowracer:

In Austin it's the ubiquitous Unnatural Rock Pile. Sometimse a few sticks are thrown in for variety, sometimes not.

We have recently snagged 500 50 cal ammo cans at surplus auction, so most of our caches here are being upgraded to Ammo can in a pile of rocks. I like to paint my cache containers flat black; makes 'em dang hard to find even when staring right at it.

Are you interested in selling some of those ammo cans?

Can I get an Amen!?

we make our own. one of mine is a cinder block, and .3 miles away is a vertical pipe that LOOKS like the ones used to stop cars from hitting things in parking lots. You know the ones filled with cement?

The Pipe has many people looking hard...

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)

maybe alittle off topic but since my name has been brought to the forfront maybe paint could share his #500 find story with us. an interesting cache placement and not so cliche unless you are the federation and look out suemac you now have one in your area also but yours has an added feature.

the federation

boldly going where others have gone before

quote:
Originally posted by the federation:

icon_rolleyes.gifand remember Jim we were all muggles once till someone intorduced us to the addiction. but I bet that lady at the Wal-Mart is still laughing!

the federation

boldly going where others have gone before

OK OK OK

It is a funny story....

My VERY memorable 500th find!

Thankfully MOST caches are not hidden in this manner. The Federation WILL pay for this. I have a devilish payback cache coming soon!

Jim

Can I get an Amen!?

quote:
When I was caching in the Triangle (Go TAG!) in North Carolina, it seemed that most of the caches were hidden in the root ball of a fallen tree.

Well with three big hurricane hits and several ice storms n the past few years it seems our woods are full of these ready made receptacles. But there are plenty of other creative hides around here; you'll just have to come back and find them PF. The rotting stump is quite popular, as are the ever nasty bison tubes.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Long Island NY. Home of the caches wrapped in plastic bags. If there's a stream you have to cross it. If there's poison ivy, you have to go through it. If there's wetlands, your gonna lose your shoe. Oh yea. There's also the ever popular caches camouflaged with deer ticks. That's my favorite. Seriously though we seem to be getting much more creative lately. Hollowed out logs with hinges, PVC pipes and even some urban caches in this very SUB-urban area.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Of the 60-some caches I found in central Indiana, most are ammo boxes behind a fallen tree and *bark-o-flauged* or covered with sticks.

Most caches here also require some bushwhacking through stinging nettles or briars, and involve a fair number of mosquitos.

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

I'll agree with this, with the exception that tupperware seems more common than ammo boxes (ammo boxes have been the only consistantly dry caches around here though, but I dirgress...). Lot of stick piles, tree knots/bases around here. I recall reading an acronym once that cracked me up. Some like USP for Unnatural Stick Pile, but it was longer and hit the nail on the head.

Haven’t seen this mentioned in this thread, but around here (Upper Cumberland area of Tennessee) bridges are VERY popular sites for caches. I’ve seen caches hid in every conceivable way, on, over, under and attached to bridges in this area. Just sitting here writing this post I can think of at least 10 bridges in the local area that have caches.

Due to the current world situation I can see that this might be a problem in some parts of the country, but this doesn’t seem to be a issue in this area. I even know of some placed by permit of the bridge’s controlling authorities.

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

quote:
When I was caching in the Triangle (Go TAG!) in North Carolina, it seemed that most of the caches were hidden in the root ball of a fallen tree.

Well with three big hurricane hits and several ice storms n the past few years it seems our woods are full of these ready made receptacles. But there are plenty of other creative hides around here; you'll just have to come back and find them PF. The rotting stump is quite popular, as are the ever nasty bison tubes.

Looks like I'll be back SOMETIME in the future. I'm waiting for a call.

I think those Bison tubes were made in HELL!

Jim - looking forward to more NC caches

Can I get an Amen!?

In Central Iowa, it is the stick pile, the bark-o-flage, or the hollow log. However, I did find one yesterday that was hidden in a trash dump of sorts inside an old rusty filing cabinet.

I tend to favor the hollow log myself, using smallish regular sized containers. These can be found in the snow better than ones on the ground.

In this part of Pa we're blessed, or is it cursed with some very creative hiders. We range from well hidden micros that will torment you for days, to the very well thought out multi that has you searching and searching for the final cache. We do have our share of hidden under a log type caches but lately the hiders have been trying to make them more and more challenging.

It wasn't that long ago that you would almost certainly find the majority of the caches in Idaho under the expected URP (unnatural rock pile), but things have changed and cache hiders are getting more and more creative. Just recently found one that had been eluding Renegade Knight. It was a phony rainbird sprinkler. Who would have guessed. I also remember a phony light switch that was in a parking garage. The only way we found it was by the elevation. That told us which floor we needed to look on. Things are getting tougher for us hunters. :D

If there's a regional type, I guess it's fallen logs or stick piles.  People here have been getting a lot more creative lately, though.  It has slowed the appearance of new caches, but they're more interesting when they do show up.

Dinoprophet,

I can attest to the fact that at least one of your caches was VERY creative! No stumps or sticks anywhere! :bad:

Chev

I'm glad this thread resurfaced. I've been geocaching for about 3 months now (86 finds and climbing). I see that an Ohioan last year mentioned that tupperware under fallen trees is very common. Many months later, that seems to still be the case. Equally common is tupperware sitting by a tree with sticks on top. Those two types probably count for well over half my finds!

But, then someone will do something very creative and throw you off. I was so used to looking around the base of trees at one cache that I didn't notice it IN the tree.

Here in Central Illinois it's definitely the stickpile/hole in tree/root ball fo a fallen tree. Even my 11 year old daughter has gotten to the point where she says, "Oh yeah...fallen tree...it's over there."<BR><BR>While I love finding a nice big ammo box in the woods, Cachew is right, the micros have potential to really make you think.<BR><BR>Bret<BR><BR>"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. <BR>When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Same here in Ohio