GMRS Licensing

Well... this post is a non-starter...

Do you really think people are going to willingly admit to violating a fedral law? Hmmmm... looks like 3 did. Riley Holingsworth (FCC chief enforcer) would LOVE to hear about it.

BTW, I don't have any GMRS equipment, nor do I have a GMRS license. I am a ham operator, duly licensed, and using much more versatile equipment....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I have been GMRS licensed and have owned my own GMRS repeaters (several) for nearly 20 years.

I have also been a ham for 20 yrs or so. I chose GMRS for family communication, because every member of the family doesn't have to be a "radio nerd" and take a test to operate it.

I am distressed by the fact that any fool (and any business) that has ten bucks can buy a GMRS radio and blatently trash FCC rules.

Since the FCC did such a stupid thing as allowing blister pack sales and the resulting trashing of previously very lightly loaded UHF channels, I will never again pay $75 for a license.

I doubt any SANE person is going to pay $75 for a license to operate a ten dollar radio. The FCC has trashed the GMRS band the same as they did with CB.

These pieces of junk have really hurt business band sales also. The wire pullers and road flaggers aren't about to spend a thousand dollars on a radio if they can get one for ten at Wal-Mart. Never mind such use is illegal.

For all practical purposes, the FCC doesn't HAVE any enforcement. And with rule-making like the FRS/GMRS, they never will.

They learned NOTHING from the CB fiasco of the 70's

IMHO so there.

Disclaimer: This post does not in any way reflect the opinion of my employer who makes a reasonable profit selling "consumer grade" radios through Wal-Mart and probably shot themselves in the foot regarding short-range commercial sales by lobbying for the current rules.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Someone could buy an FRS/GMRS radio and have no intentions of licensing and stay legal only uses the FRS-only frequencies. Of course, one has to ask why buy the FRS/GMRS rubber duck unit when you could get just the FRS unit for half, but still.

Anywho, we licensed our GMRS radios and I we scan only FRS 2 (for other GeoCachers), but talk on GMRS 15 (way less chatter).

Personally, I think they should have put a postcard mail-in for the GMRS license in the blister pack and made people pay for the license up front (with the purchase) or show proof of GMRS licensing, and make the manufactures include in their booklets the guidelines to GMRS. Wouldn't have cost a whole lot more, and would have kept folks legal.

I bought my radios and registered online at the FCC site (paid with my CC) and was licensed within about 30 minutes (their site is a bit cumbersome). Yeah, they're blister packs, but they work fine when we're hiking and one of us wants to stop for a little break. FRS just doesn't cut it much of the time, but with GMRS we've not had a problem.

Just my non-HAM, non-radio geek two cents,

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

In Canada GMRS is not allowed to be used.

I was curious if I ordered units with GMRS from the US, would they be stopped at Customs for inspection if they were duly reported as 'radios'?

What's with that anyway? Why doesn't the Canadian government just license that spectrum for GMRS?

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Someone could buy an FRS/GMRS radio and have no intentions of licensing and stay legal only uses the FRS-only frequencies. Of course, one has to ask why buy the FRS/GMRS rubber duck unit when you could get just the FRS unit for half, but still.

Sorry but that's wrong. A GMRS radio not only has some different frequencies but transmits at a higher power; 2w instead of 1/2w. Because of this, if you're using a GMRS radio, no matter what frequency you're using, you must be licensed or are violating federal law.

[/Quote]Sorry but that's wrong. A GMRS radio not only has some different frequencies but transmits at a higher power; 2w instead of 1/2w. Because of this, if you're using a GMRS radio, no matter what frequency you're using, you must be licensed or are violating federal law.

BUSHWA!!

Rino's operate at 1/2 Watt on frs and I think 1 Watt on gmrs or so I've been told.

Anyway, this interpretation of the law is a moot point due to the obvious lack of enforcement by the FCC who made the rules about Gmrs in the 1st place!

Here's the poop:

FRS is limited to one half watt, GMRS can use, like a million watts or something. You would have a hard time finding a handheld GMRS with more than two watts, some are around with five. Some folks will modify a radio that was not designed to operate on GMRS, and will be operating illegally on FRS as well.

FRS radios must have a fixed antenna; GMRS can use a detatchable antenna. Great for use in the car because you can add a higher gain antenna. Gain does more than watts for your signal. All the GMRS/FRS combo radios are going to be limited by the more restrictive rule, and have a fixed antenna.

I was just becoming interested in getting a GMRS licence when I started seeing them in every wal/K mart. Shame.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I voted that I won't apply for the license. But that's only for the foreseeable future. If things change, then my answer may also change. The main factor in my decision right now is that I don't have anyone to talk with on GMRS!!! I have a Rino120 which is equipped with both FRS & GMRS. I leave it on channel 2 (FRS range). Everyone I know that has handheld radios has only FRS. Until there is someone to talk with, it's silly for me to plunk down $75 for the license.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Here's the poop:

FRS is limited to one half watt, GMRS can use, like a million watts or something. You would have a hard time finding a handheld GMRS with more than two watts, some are around with five. Some folks will modify a radio that was not designed to operate on GMRS, and will be operating illegally on FRS as well.

FRS radios must have a fixed antenna; GMRS can use a detatchable antenna. Great for use in the car because you can add a higher gain antenna. Gain does more than watts for your signal. All the GMRS/FRS combo radios are going to be limited by the more restrictive rule, and have a fixed antenna.

I was just becoming interested in getting a GMRS licence when I started seeing them in every wal/K mart. Shame.

95.135 Transmitter power limits.

(a) No station may transmit with more than 50 watts output power.

(:D [Reserved.]

© A small control station at a point north of Line A or east of Line C

must transmit with no more than 5 watts ERP.

(d) A fixed station must transmit with no more than 15 watts output power.

(e) A small base station must transmit with no more than 5 watts ERP.

---------------------------------------------

The FCC has a history of creating regulations that drive consumer communications into the ground... They did it with CB, they did it with GMRS, and they are even moving that direction with amateur. While I am a strong believer in FRS and the low power, low cost, license free service; I cant tell you how many buisness users I see using FRS (no they never will enforce it). I think that it is kind of funny that they allow mass consumer sales of GMRS equipment at the same time they pull the ability to get non-individual licenses. I can't even get a GMRS license for our search & rescue team (for comms with possible lost subject). I have been a ham for 10 years, managed commercial for 5 years, and been using FRS for about 2 years. I dont think I would ever go for a GMRS license. Besides if you look at the FCC's history I'm sure you will agree it will only be a matter of time before the band is so far gone that they drop license requirements anyway (just look at CB and the DOT (now called MURS) bands).

Well for Good or Evil, I have my license...just arrived in the Mail....and the top of the license it states. Radio Station Authorization.

Wether or not some feel it's a waste of money or whatever. It would be a conflict of Principals for me to violate FCC rules while trying to enforce COPYRIGHT rules for my photos.

The same with MUSIC...if I use a song in a slide-show presentation, I make sure that I buy the CD so the artist gets their due, but that is a whole entire can of worms!

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

Well for Good or Evil, I have my license...just arrived in the Mail....and the top of the license it states. Radio Station Authorization.

Wether or not some feel it's a waste of money or whatever. It would be a conflict of Principals for me to violate FCC rules while trying to enforce COPYRIGHT rules for my photos.

The same with MUSIC...if I use a song in a slide-show presentation, I make sure that I buy the CD so the artist gets their due, but that is a whole entire can of worms!

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

You are absolutely right.

Despite my comment in my post that I will never buy another GMRS license, I suppose, when the time comes I'll make a decision: either renew the license or get off the band.

There's no great moral dilema here- it is obviously wrong to violate the law- even if it is a STUPID law.

I'll probably vacate the frequencies since I lost my repeater site on a 450 foot tower a couple of months ago. Anyhow with my job I have access to statewide commercial commo gear and don't really need GMRS much any more.

When you consider the price of a repeater (1-10K) and site rental ($500/month typical), and factor in a lot of kids playing "walkie-talkie" on your frequency, a couple of cell phones or nextels begins to look VERY good- and no license required. Much better for serious commo than either FRS or GMRS.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I just found that blip of a paper that said I need to register. As it turns out the channel I have been using is not a GMRS channel and so I've not been in violation.

But I'll register just the same.

Just to point out. If your radio is capable of using the GMRS channels then you are in violation. Doesn't matter if you use the channels or not, you are still in violation. The FCC can stop you and inspect your radio and fine you for not having the license. You really have no way to prove you don't use those channels in their eyes.

Problem is they do little to enforce it as far as I can tell. This is compounded by the fact that most bubble pack sellers don't even carry FRS radios anymore. I ran into Target today to get some coax cable, and every radio on their shelf nearby was a GMRS/FRS combo. I'm pretty positive most of the people working there are clueless as to the FCC rules on what they are selling.

-beatnik-

quote:
If your radio is capable of using the GMRS channels then you are in violation. Doesn't matter if you use the channels or not, you are still in violation. The FCC can stop you and inspect your radio and fine you for not having the license. You really have no way to prove you don't use those channels in their eyes.

I'm not so sure about this. Just as owning a commercial, aircraft, or amateur tranciever is ok w/o license so long as you dont transmit. The burden is on the government to prove misuse. I am pretty sure that you may use a combo unit w/o GMRS license as long as you do not use gmrs channels or greater than 500mw on shared channels.

It is unfortunate that some people blame the FCC for the degredation of the CB bands, when in fact, the citizens are responsible for following the Part 15 rules and regulations. Now that GMRS is being targeted for licensing only responsible people are going to register for their licence. I throw this stuff away...along with FRS and MURS! With the new no code tech licencse available for $10 (application/license fee) for 10 years is even more beneficial for people who want to have better communications along with variety of transmitting modes. You would also have the use of repeaters (besides simplex)which there is no charge to air-time or their use and the ability to communicate with other amateurs as well. The majority of Geocachers that I have met also had a Amateur license as well...ever hear of APERS? The first APERS satellite using GPS technology was sent into orbit by Amateur radio operators. I do have to agree, however, that the FCC did not do any favors by releasing the once known amateur 11 meters to the public to be known as the "Children's Band"

to this day. Only the honest people will remain honest...Happy Geocaching and 73's to all. Sincerely, KD7KYU

quote:
Originally posted by SearchRescueDog:

quote:
If your radio is capable of using the GMRS channels then you are in violation. ...

I'm not so sure about this. Just as owning a commercial, aircraft, or amateur tranciever is ok w/o license so long as you dont transmit. The burden is on the government to prove misuse. I am pretty sure that you may use a combo unit w/o GMRS license as long as you do not use gmrs channels or greater than 500mw on shared channels.

SRD, you are correct.

I have a GMRS license, just because I'm one of those honest people that real deal mentions. Not sure If I'll have the strength of will to renew if the band continues down the path of CB...I can be driven to acts of civil disobedience.

It strikes me that the FCC is INTENTIONALLY driving these services in to the ground, in order to force everyone to use taxable/bill-by-the-second cellular or PCS services.

BTW, Businesses have the same right to use the FRS band as individuals.

The FCC even has a web page about 'channel sharing.'

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

<snip>

BTW, Businesses have the same right to use the FRS band as individuals.

The FCC even has a web page about 'channel sharing.'

ApK

Totally WRONG

FRS and GMRS rules specifically PROHIBIT business use except businesses licensed long ago that are "grandfathered". None are allowed on FRS, never were.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:

You are "pretty sure" that you may use a combo unit?

The way I read the code is that if you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. If you operate a radio that has both then you need a license.

This is especially true if you use channels 1-7 on a GRMS/FRS radio because you may be transmitting at a higher wattage and wider band.

-beatnik-

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

Totally WRONG

FRS and GMRS rules specifically PROHIBIT business use except businesses licensed long ago that are "grandfathered". None are allowed on FRS, never were.

Hate to break it to you Dave, but ApK is Totally RIGHT. The FCC even says on their FRS webpage "You may use your FRS unit for business-related communications." It's sad but true.

GMRS is still safe from business use.... for now.

-beatnik-

Ok... I see where you are comming from now.

quote:
Some manufacturers have received approval to market radios that are certified for use in both the Family Radio Service (FRS) and the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). Other manufacturers have received approval of their radios under the GMRS rules, but market them as FRS/GMRS radios...

If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas.

Regardless, you may OWN any radio without a license so long as you do not transmit.

I find $75 a little steep for a license, which is probably only good for 1 year.

I paid 10 for the radio, only wanted all the frs bands (current radio only had 1-3)

one other question: there is suspodily an emergency frequency on gmrs; is anybody monitoring this channel???

quote:
Originally posted by nevin1977:

I find $75 a little steep for a license, which is probably only good for 1 year.

I paid 10 for the radio, only wanted all the frs bands (current radio only had 1-3)

one other question: there is suspodily an emergency frequency on gmrs; is anybody monitoring this channel???

It's for 5 years. And yes I believe it is Channel 6 that many consider a "National Emergency Frequency". As for monitoring??? Well, I often take the approach of you should always consider that no one is listening when you need help, and that someone is listening when you say something you shouldn't.

I've heard stats that response is about 25%-30% but I've not seen facts to back that up.

-beatnik-

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

GMRS is still safe from business use.... for now.

-beatnik-

You obviously have not monitored GMRS much!

As far as FRS, I geuss they changed the rules. No doubt in response to everyone BREAKING them.

That is an FCC historical policy:

1. make poorly thought out, unenforceable rules

2. spend a lot of money trying to enforce them

3. give up and abandon the unenforceable rule

FCC rules is a great example of "mob rule". If enough people break the rules, they just eliminate them.

Perhaps NY could try FCC tactics- if they legalize robbery, rape and murder the big apple would be virtually crime free.

So, no need to sweat the license thing. The FCC has been "dumbing down" their license requirements and kowtowing to the rule breakers for the past 30 years.

It won't be long till they finally throw up their hands and eliminate the license requirement (Sorry- I meant "suggestion").

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:

For what it's worth, REACT monitors 462.675 (the FCC officially designated GMRS emergency channel) in many areas.

The most common tone code is 4A 141.3 Hz

Still the range of the blister pack radios is just too short to be effectively monitored.

GMRS allows bases and repeaters, making it more likely to get someone in an emergency, but repeater operation requires purchasing a REAL radio which is several hundred dollars typically.

Even then, unless you have the proper tone code for the repeater in your area, you cannot access it and it is unlikely that anyone will hear you.

For emergency, get a cell phone. Even an un-activated one can be used to call 911 in an emergency.

I would never bet my life on a $10 wal-mart toy.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

You are "pretty sure" that you may use a combo unit?

The way I read the code is that if you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. If you operate a radio that has both then you need a license.

This is especially true if you use channels 1-7 on a GRMS/FRS radio because you may be transmitting at a higher wattage and wider band.

I just bought a set of Mororola T5950 FRS/GMRS radios at Costco and here is a blurb from the little licensing info card that was in the package:

Radio.jpg

It seems to indicate that the license is only needed while operation on the GMRS frequencies.

RM

I've had my Motorola T6400s for two months and I sprung for the license. I felt $15/year was a small price to pay for complying with the law and operating guilt-free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I want to see a sunrise, I'll STAY up for it!

quote:
Originally posted by elmo-fried:

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

In Canada GMRS is not allowed to be used.

I was curious if I ordered units with GMRS from the US, would they be stopped at Customs for inspection if they were duly reported as 'radios'?

What's with that anyway? Why doesn't the Canadian government just license that spectrum for GMRS?

Jason Roysdon

http://jason.roysdon.net/

In Canada the GMRS Freq, are Licensed for Public service use. This is a can of worms you would not want to open, My guess would be that if you tried to use a GMRS radio in Canada the radio you would be visited by the local Police in short order. Keep in mind that UHF and VHF radio regulations can very quite a bit in each country. In Aust. what we have for FRS is used by the Police, what they have for FRS use is not legal in the USA. You can even run into trouble with Ham radio Frequencies, in the USA we have the 220 Mhz band, In other parts of the world this is not a ham band. As far a GMRS, I do not have any use for it as I have a Ham radio Lic. as does my Girl freind. Why would I want to down grade to a GMRS radio. You do not need to be nerd to get a no code tec Lic. it is a very easy Lic to get. It is only $10.00 for ten years and there are thousands of repeaters to use at no charge. The local Ham clubs give the test and even have classes.

John

KF6VYH

Glad to see there was more a showing of pro license than anti licence, was worried about where this post would go. There still seems to be a lot of confusion over licensing though. Manufacturers and retailers are pretty clueless about GMRS.

I have been a licenced ham for about 15years, and have been a licenced GMRS user for about 3.

I would like to see GMRS stay licenced, but if it doesn't I won't sweat it. The cheapy 2 watt radios don't bother us too much, the range isn't enough to really cause a problem. Have been really lucky in my area with little interference. I have had kids try to jam us, but when using a repeater, or 35 watts, it just doesn't cause a problem.

Glad to see there are still some honest people out there.

WL7MN

WPQL444

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

quote:

Totally WRONG

Don't let the name "Family" Radio Service fool you.

See here:

FCC FRS info page

As beatnik mentioned, it specifically states business comms are ok.

See here:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/47cfr95_02.html

These are the rules. No prohibition of business use.

Everything else you said in the other message about the FCC's laughable role in 'protecting' the spectrum, I agree with.

ApK

Just to make sure my post came off as I intened... I agree 100% with holding a license for whatever band you intend to operate on. Just making the point that you do not need to hold a license to own the equipment. After reading through the fcc material again it appears that if the radio is type accepted for GMRS & FRS than a License is not require to operate ONLY on the FRS freqs. However, if the radio is type accepted for GMRS only than you do (EVEN though they are marketed as FRS/GMRS).

quote:

Perhaps NY could try FCC tactics- if they legalize robbery, rape and murder the big apple would be virtually crime free.

I think you've just described the Liberal Democratic platform on the issue. ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by McKenna Family:

The cheapy 2 watt radios don't bother us too much, the range isn't enough to really cause a problem. Have been really lucky in my area with little interference. I have had kids try to jam us, but when using a repeater, or 35 watts, it just doesn't cause a problem.

Glad to see there are still some honest people out there.

WL7MN

WPQL444

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.

Correct: You are LUCKY

It does cause a problem when you have to listen to the unlicensed, un-disciplined nonsense. Which occurs when some child gets on the tone code you've been using for many years and starts playing "army". Changing code on a repeater system (and evry unit) is not an easy task and sometimes costs a lot of money. -And then the children change their $10 toy to the NEW code you just chose, or then comes another child with their new toys.

Also, the rules clearly state that you, the LICENSED user, have to wait for the children to get done before you key up your 50 watt repeater. They have the same rights as you do. (You are only ASSUMING they do not have a license)

If you HAVE a license, you have something to lose (the license) and the FCC knows where to find you. If you violate the rules (by "walking" on another user), you can be fined or lose your license.

The unlicensed users have NOTHING TO LOSE (well, they COULD be fined $5000, but that NEVER happens) so they can pretty much do as they please. Also the FCC DOES NOT know where to find them and tracking an intermitent signal from a low power radio is nearly impossible. I know- I trace interference as part of my job.

So, if you do spring for the $75, which an HONEST person will do, it is important that you mind your p's and q's in operating procedure.

quote:
originally posted by JimmyVegas:

Why would I want to down grade to a GMRS radio. You do not need to be nerd to get a no code tec Lic.

As to the "nerd" issue, you would be surprised how many people just can't grasp simple electrical concepts like Volts X Amps = Watts. Getting a no-code ham ticket is still out of the question for some and GMRS is not a "downgrade"- it is a different type of radio service which was established for a different purpose.

KAC-0726 (since 1977)

KB4BYQ (since 1975 approx)

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:

Totally WRONG

Don't let the name "Family" Radio Service fool you.

See here:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/

As beatnik mentioned, it specifically states business comms are ok.

See here:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/47cfr95_02.html

These are the rules. No prohibition of business use.

Everything else you said in the other message about the FCC's laughable role in 'protecting' the spectrum, I agree with.

ApK

I also posted just a few posts above you:

"As far as FRS, I geuss they changed the rules. No doubt in response to everyone BREAKING them."

That roughly translates to : "I stand corrected"

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Having never actually purchased a blister pack GMRS radio, I was surprised to learn today in talking to a former co-worker and fellow radio nerd that he found a GMRS radio for very little money that can be set-up on repeater splits by just a few keystrokes.

Made by MY company no less!

He told me these radios can also be made to TX at high power on FRS, again by just a few keystrokes. Instructions included in package.

We both found it very interesting that the FCC would type-accept a radio that has instructions enclosed to make it operate in violation of FCC regulations.

THEY JUST DON"T CARE.

As long as the manufacturers can make a buck, how dare the FCC stand in the way. Never mind the potential damage to a FORMERLY useful communications service.

The advent of dirt cheap UHF radios sounded the death-knell of the GMRS service for long range communications.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:

Also the FCC DOES NOT know where to find them and tracking an intermitent signal from a low power radio is nearly impossible. I know- I trace interference as part of my job.

SHHHH! Don't go blabbing that...we need the fear of getting caught to keep some people honest!

quote:
As to the "nerd" issue, you would be surprised how many people just can't grasp simple electrical concepts like Volts X Amps = Watts. Getting a no-code ham ticket is still out of the question for some and GMRS is not a "downgrade"- it is a different type of radio service which was established for a different purpose.

Exactly. My wife, as I've said, can't spell FCC and will never be a ham, mostly due to terminal lack of interest, so that, plus being able to use it in the course of business, is enough for me to have the GMRS licenses, too.

quote:
That roughly translates to : "I stand corrected"

OIC. Sorry.

ApK