Holloween Caching

I was wondering if there would be an interest if I gave coordinates to a Holloween cache.

The catch is, it would only be for Holloween night.

I know a place where the yard is covered with carved pumpkins, and Holloween decorations, a real neat place for young and old. He'd love to have a few more visiters.

Of course, you'd have to live kinda close to where the cache would be.

Do you think it would work?

Would it be a real cache or make it a virtual for the sake of seeing the setup and such. If its the second that would be kind of cool.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

The whole yard with over two hundred jackolaterns, and all the other gostly surprises would be the actual cache! There would be no need to bring anything, just go there and see the site, and he'll of course have Holloween candy to hand out.

It is, and has been a huge event in our town for many years. I think the pumpkin carving is in progress now, as it takes quite some time to prepare for this event.Young and old alike visit his home and carve pumpkins, and are placed on display for all to see.

I just wonder if a temporary cache site would work

quote:
Originally posted by Anvil Forge:

The whole yard with over two hundred jackolaterns, and all the other gostly surprises would be the actual cache!

I think that in order to be approved, you'd have to think up a unique question that only a visitor to the site could answer. It sounds like a fun idea to me. In order to make sure people understand it's a one-day-only cache, list it as an "event" cache. You could then archive it the day after the event.

I want to thank you for some wonderful ideas. One thing if I do hide a cache in a pumpkin, a great idea by the way, the problem is, there are so many pumkins. I suppose I could say the cache is near the spinning head, or some other pin-pointing clue.

I would have to make it a temporary event.

Now.......How do I do this?

Hide the fake pumpkin in a pumpkin patch. Get the farmer's permission, tell him more people will come to buy pumpkins, it could be a week long cache just before Halloween, or make it a geocaching Halloween Party event, for one night only, in a haunted house, or at one of those scary abandoned castle type caches. Or even in an open field. Arrange a hay ride, apple bobbing, pumpkin carving contest, pumpkin pinatas, must arrrive in costume, must post photo on log. You know, I've actually been thinking about this, lately. Maybe next year. This year I'm busy. At a Halloween party. Maybe I'll pick a year when Halloween is on a Saturday night. It's on Thursday this year. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:

I want to thank you for some wonderful ideas. One thing if I do hide a cache in a pumpkin, a great idea by the way, the problem is, there are so many pumkins. I suppose I could say the cache is near the spinning head, or some other pin-pointing clue.

I would have to make it a temporary event.

Now.......How do I do this?

You only put that stuff in the clue. I'd have fun trying to figure out which one is the cache. It would take some work to find but it's doable.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

icon_biggrin.gif I got an e-mail from Anvil Forge this morning, saying that my ideas were good but it's a small town, and a 1/4 acre property he's planning on using and a few other details and it turns out we live in the same small (in HIS opinion, I think 17K people +/- is not too small) town and I think I know where he's talking about. I asked if I could log the find yet. What are the odds of finding another geocacher in the same town, unless they are already your friend?

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

What are the odds of finding another geocacher in the same town, unless they are already your friend?

I guess it depends on how much publicity geocaching has received in the local news media.

Regarding the question of how does one create an "event cache," it is one of the options you choose when you create your cache page. The page will have a different icon associated with it, and it will be featured in the "event" section of the geocaching home page ... but you will still need to manually archive the cache after the event has ended.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

What are the odds of finding another geocacher in the same town, unless they are already your friend?

About 30K in my town (my previous post saying 3000 was the village only), and it turns out trippy1976, admin of the MiGO website, recently moved here. At least one team of cachers works in the town (don't know if they live here). None of us knew each other until a GC event in September.

Michael's and other craft stores have fake pumpkins that are carvable. I don't know how well they'd hold up to the elements, though.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

I was wondering if there would be an interest if I gave coordinates to a Holloween cache.

The catch is, it would only be for Holloween night.

I know a place where the yard is covered with carved pumpkins, and Holloween decorations, a real neat place for young and old. He'd love to have a few more visiters.

Of course, you'd have to live kinda close to where the cache would be.

Do you think it would work?

We are doing our 2nd annual one.

Last Years Here Lies the Cache

This Years Cache of the Dead .

But I recommned giving local folks MUCH advance notice. essepicaly if you don't have many caches near your home. Last year , while we had nearly 400 visitors we only had 1 logged geocacher.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Hi Guys,

All the responses were great, and I thank you all. I did start getting everything in place.

I sent my intention to the powers to be at the geocache site, and my idea was rejected.

It was explained to me, and I'm O.K. with the decision. It makes sense, as it would be a cache for only one night, and it wasn't at my property.

The owner was fine with me doing it for the one night, but I can't gaurantee that's the only time the cachers would show up.

It all worked out.

Thanks.