How Many Girl Geocachers were in the Girl Scouts?

Well we had one for the Guy's here is one for the Gal's.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

And I guess this begs the question:

How many guys were in the Girl Scouts?? icon_eek.gif

As a boy scout I was into girl scouts, does that count?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I never lasted very long in the girl guides. It wasn't my beard so much that gave me away as it was my being caught writing my name in the snow.

I found the fireside chat rather boring anyways; Girl talk, you know, sowing, knitting, cooking, David Cassidy etc. Wasn't in long enough to meet her but apparently Aunt Flow's a real b*t*h.

OK, another female posts a note. I have been trying all day to do this!! I was in the Brownies briefly, but I did not like them. Later, I joined the Girl Scouts and enjoyed that. My favorite parts were summer cookie camp. I won this by selling a lot of cookies. My folks could not really afford to send me to the two week camp, so I got the "free" weekend cookie camp. I don't remember what we did, but it was fun to just "get away!" We also had "day" camp a couple of times where we just went out into the woods (southern OK) and waded in the creek looking for quicksand, braiding a keyring fob, building camp fires, making s'mores and coffee can stew, and a few other crafty things. I almost made it to the rank of "curve bar" or something like that, but I was missing one badge. Then, after 14, boys became much more important. My favorite thing ever was taking my dad to the father daughter banquet. One year I had to take my little brother cause my daddy was working. That was kind of fun, too. You guys definitely got to do more interesting things than we did.

I was in Brownies, which I enjoyed, even though I don't remember much (I was a Sprite and a Pixie), other than being taught how to wrap parcels to mail...very useful at age 6...also I remember having to bring a note in saying I made my bed every day for a week and did a couple of other chores to get a badge or two.

And of course, I remember our pledge:

"I promise, on my honour, to do my best,

for God, my Queen and my country. To help other people every day, especially those at home." And yes, that's from memory not google!

I then got to "fly up" to join girl guides, and thereby advanced from a two-finger salute to a three-finger salute! Did guide camp and learned some basic camping/ orienteering skills (like how to read a compass!). But then we got a new Guide Leader who focused more on "girl" things, like how "ladies" sit on the floor, get up gracefully and walk. I think that was my last year! But some 30 years later I still remember the song we sang to march into formation:

"Who are we that (grammatical note: should be "who") sing along the road,

With a pack on our back, a song in our hearts, to ease our load.

It's been 60 years or more, since we travelled throught the door,

And we're coming along, as gay in song, as ever we did before.

We are guides, all guides, and in unexpected places, you'll see our friendly faces, we're ready and besides,

There's not much danger, in finding you're a stranger to commissioner or ranger,

We are guides (stamp, stamp) all guides!"

Ok, this will rank as my most embarassing post. For the record though, I only scored 9% on the geek scale, and I worked hard to get that high, so they obviously weren't asking the right questions!!

My goal is to become as wonderful as my dogs think I am!

I have been a Girl Scout for 7 years. As leader of my elder daughter's troop from Juniors to Seniors now, one more year and they will be adults themselves. Also I was Neighborhood Cookie Manager for the past two years. So there are guys in Girl Scouts / Girl Guides, just as there are girls in Boy Scouts, they are just adults icon_wink.gif

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**

Doc-Dean, although I know the answer to your question icon_eek.gif, a lady wouldn't say it (and neither will I!) icon_wink.gif

I was a Brownie for years, then didn't get involved again until I was 18 and joined as a Junior Leader. Since then I have been a Unit Guider for Sparks, Brownies and Rangers, as well as lifeguard and first aider for lots of Guide and Pathfinder camps. I have held positions on District and Division Councils, and am currently registered as a Division Music Advisor and Link Member.

"Hey boys, wanna buy my cookies?" icon_biggrin.gif

============================================

Be Prepared.

I was only a Girl Scout for one year as our leader quit and no one else would do it. Was a Girl Scout Assistant Leader for 6 years for my daughter's troop.

Made the mistake of saying yes to being county cookie sales leader one year. When the semi pulled up to my house and we had to move all our furniture and literally walk through aisles of boxes to get through our house, I never agreed to that again!

Also helped at camp for several years.

Lots of fun...I kinda miss it. icon_smile.gif

I was in Girl Scouts all the way until Senior. Then I became a leader when I lived in Indiana. I remember my mother teaching us orienteering and our trekking all over Mt. Diablo State Park in California with our little compass' clipped to our jackets. Both my daughters are now very involved with geocaching, and of course are in Girl Scouts. I have been asked to teach geocaching to my youngest daughters Brownie Troop in the Spring.

This is the post I was trying to reply to when the Great Crash of '03 happened.

I was in Guiding for 10 years - through Brownies, Guides, Pathfinders & Rangers. I thought I would one day be a leader, but being blessed with boys, I am now in training to be a leader in Scouting (Beavers to be exact). The skills I learned in Guides lead me to my career of surveying & have proved useful in geocaching.

-Donna G

I did the whole girl scout thing so did my sister. Since my mom was a troop leader for a few of those years my little brother was......well............

kind of the troop mascot.

Now my oldest son is a Tiger Cub and I'm learning all about the Boy Scout organization. (I don't remember Girl Scouts being this complicated)

I am a Girl cacher but in the UK Girls can be in the BOY scouts! We have mixed groups and do it all together! Girls do have the choice to be a Girl Guide if they want a Girl only group. I am now retired but I was a BOY Scout Leader in the UK for many years. My cacheing friends have mostly been in Scouting, outdoor types etc.

Not a Girl Scout, I was a Camp Fire Girl (now called Camp Fire Boys and Girls). I spent three summers doing a two week session at CFG camp outside of Buffalo, NY. Three years later, I started working summers between college years at the same camp. Four years after the last summer at camp, I moved to northern NY state and had a great time hiking and skiing in the Adirondacks. When my DH and I married, we spent three weeks camping in a VW camper bus from Buffalo to the Rockies and Grand Canyon and back for our honeymoon. Our lives have been enriched with a joy in the outdoors and raising our five kids to feel the same. Some do, some don't. Our oldest got me interested in caching while she was a student at Penn State. She is now in Ireland working on her master's. Our two youngest are in Cub and Boy Scouts and I am the pack leader for the youngest's pack. Only fourteen more months of that, and he will become a Boy Scout. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

PeachyPA

Punxsutawney, PA