Pictures taken of another cache!

Guest Quinnow

Guest JIntorcio

In thinking about this... There's a presumption of ownership. We often think of the person who hid the cache as being the cache ?owner?. But, surely, the person(s) who is(are) on the hunt has ownership of the adventure. (Just read the Geocaching disclaimer!) When we pile our kids in the minivan and head out into the woods on a treasure hunt, we?re doing so for our own benefit ? not in servitude to the cache stasher. We want to have fun and maybe even document our quest!

So? There?s a joint ownership between hider and seeker. This game won?t work without both and therefore some mutual cooperation is necessary.

I suggest that cache hider who would prefer that cache finders not post pictures or clues make that preference explicit. In the cache description, you could include a statement like ?please help me maintain the character of this cache by not posting pictures or clues that would reduce the challenge for others.? Maybe this could even become an attribute or a preference expressed when defining a cache?

Guest Quinnow

" So? There?s a joint ownership between hider and seeker "

Well if ownership in your opinion is joint could you please send me half of the following...

15.00 in gas I used to drive 100 miles to place my second to last cache.

5.00 I used to buy a .50cal ammo can

21.00 I used to buy a single use camera and the many Items I included within the cache.

I won't include the time I invested as I feel that is priceless.

Hey!!...I think I just made one of those commercials!...Priceless!

And as for joint ownership of something I bought I feel you are wrong. I don't ask people to go out and find it, I provide a cache and if you wish to go find it then you are free to do so. But just because I have listed a cache does in no way mean that I myself am saying that it belongs to others as well.

For instance...there have been a couple of times where people who have found some of my caches have gotten a bit greedy and have taken more than the 1 for 1 Item trade I ask them to follow. Thus it is I that goes out and replenishes the caches I have placed so that other family members that may have kids can have fun in the hunt. After all, to you and me the fun may well be in the hunt and the chance of finding it, but to a child who has tagged along the fun is in the treasure and what may be inside. There is nothing in life greater and more enjoyable than seeing a child smile, so I do my best to keep the caches filled even when others abuse some of them.

I really don't want to head back and hit on the picture thing again due to most know my thoughts on this, and I honestly do respect your thoughts and views as well as I like seeing others voice an opinion.

But I think that if I place a cache that it gives me the right (and only me)to do with it as I feel fit. If a cache belonged to everyone then all of us instead of who placed it would be able to edit the cache page. I do agree with you about the fact we should express our request's on if or not we want people to add pictures to personal sites, I myself have been very laxed on this and that is my fault, but I will start adding those comments and requests if and when I start seeing mine show up on a site somewhere. By the way, my comment about 50% money was just a joke. But if you want to send me a check i'll take it icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for giving your thoughts here and above all just have a great time caching! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest JIntorcio

Check's in the mail Quinnow! icon_wink.gif

But seriously, I think you ?donated? at least partial ownership of your cache to the sport when you placed it. Certainly, you retain some control over it. You can pull it back, you can change the contents, you can refresh the camera? I might even argue that you own its contents. But when you left it out there on public land, I think, you relinquished some of your rights to it. I have the right to go look for it. I have the right to post my story of finding it.

In fact, I *can* edit the cache page ? I can add my log to it. We have joint ownership of the cumulative ?story? that appears on the web page.

I like differing opinions too. Thanks for sharing the discussion. icon_smile.gif

Guest Quinnow

No...you are correct that if it's on public land that anyone has a right to it. I think what I am getting at is that it's not so much a right than it would be common courtesy to ask someone if they minded about the pictures. I may not be able to stop people from doing that, and I may not even mind if they did that, but it would be kind if someone would ask first. As for editing on the site, you can only edit your own log on someones elses cache page, whereas the cache owner can edit them all icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for taking the comment about the money as a joke, its good to see someone with a sense of humor. Have fun out there bud! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com