$O WHAT'$ THE DEAL WITH ALL THE$E CA$HE$???

Pharmadude

Pharmadude - I'm glad you started this thread. I am just as puzzled as you are - I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but this is really strange. Their 100 loonie caches appear to be for real but $1,000?

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Now THAT's a cache that's just asking to be plundered. A real test of honesty!

How the heck does one trade? "Took MAP76S GPS, left a Weresgeorge dollar and a 4 pack of AA batteries. I'd feel real guilty.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 15, 2002 at 04:01 AM.]

I have to admitt, I had part in taking the whole thing (most of the cash anyways) in one of the smaller caches and I payed for it in guilt. Sorry.

The money will be redirected into caching and some has already been donated to a childrens charity.

As for the future, 'IF' I ever find another I'll take half/leave half.

I am enjoying (and struggling) with the math involved. Sure wish I'd payed better attention to my high school Trig. teacher. I guess, like most young men I was pre-occupied by other things. ie. Tight Jeans and gaping blouses.

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

I have to admitt, I had part in taking the whole thing (most of the cash anyways) in one of the smaller caches and I payed for it in guilt. Sorry.

The money will be redirected into caching and some has already been donated to a childrens charity.

As for the future, 'IF' I ever find another I'll take half/leave half.

I am enjoying (and struggling) with the math involved. Sure wish I'd payed better attention to my high school Trig. teacher. I guess, like most young men I was pre-occupied by other things. ie. Tight Jeans and gaping blouses.

Hey, congratulations. More power to you, by the cache description is was pretty obvious that the first finder was suppose to take all the loot in the seperate cases. There is absolutely no reason to feel guilty about it. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug

Is it part of a radio team? Is that how they are getting the money to back these caches up with so much cache that I am salivating hundreds of miles away. Or are they a huge motorcycle club with a ton of people pitching in?

The thing that scares me the most is if they are a motorcycle club and they come down here to my neck of the woods where geocaching was invented way back when.......if them and fractal and soup hook up to do a cache......

I can see it now...cache contains 10 grand but noone has found it yet as you have to decipher this and climb a tree for that and then when you have all the clues.....Today in Portland news, another mysterious death of someone falling off a cliff and out of a tree.......they had nothing on them but a gps and a gleam in there eye.....one person was quoted saying right before they died "dang you fractal and soup, I was so close ..money money."

Having split the loot from one cache with eroyd, and having spent many hours looking over these caches, I can attest to their 'realness'.

As for the guilt, or reward, maybe there is a balance. One of the leading 'teams' who have 10 FIRST finds logged on these caches, began leaving some $$$ for second place. Actually, one of the first caches, Operation Western Command had $100 in loonies, and I think it got split 10 ways. Since then, it has been more or less intended that the 'winner take all', at least with respect to the BIG caches.

I have posted my thoughts and ramblings elsewhere already, refer to PACIFIC AGGRESSOR GEOCACHE especially.

The intrigue here isn't just the $$$. These are tough caches. Legitimately difficult. Geocaching is a new sport/game/hobby, and this is one branch of it likely to continue on. I can tell you the complexity of some of the caches is indeed 'mind bending' as another cache finder put it.

So as to whether or not this adds to or detracts from 'geocaching' as we know it... I have an opinion, and it's just my own. I plan on having a cache in Abbotsford with a substantial prize, not CASH per se, but something very worthwhile. It just takes time to plan it.

Imagine the time TEAM KFWB GPS have put into this adventure, nevermind the incentives. The sheer multitude and complexity is nearly baffling.

The cachers on the Island and elsewhere icon_wink.gif have an interesting week coming up, as two BIG caches continue having their details released.

I'm sure there will be a fight right to the finish line... and to coin a 'cache phrase' from THE TEAM themselves: There is no substitute for Victory

[This message was edited by canadazuuk on November 15, 2002 at 11:34 PM.]