You know you're addicted to geocaching when...

Guest web-ling

Guest web-ling

You know you're addicted to geocaching when...

...your children are named Garmin and Magellan.

...whenever you find leftovers in the refrigerator, you put something in, take something out, and sign a logbook.

...the address printed on your checks is N 32° 55.608 W 097° 13.992 (WGS-84)

Guest rdwatson78

Even the sound of gunshots doesn't stop you.

You consider going for a cache an hours drive away for a second time at 11:20p since the owner verified it is still there. Hmmm...

rdw

Guest OblongFred

...your late picking-up your wife/husband/whatever because you had some trouble finding cache.

"But I swear it was only a 2/2. Look at the sheet."

[This message has been edited by OblongFred (edited 12 December 2001).]

Guest Geoffrey

You know your addicted to geocaching when...

...You try to find out how to modify your GPS to use "D" Cell flashlight batteries.

...your a guy wearing miniature GPS earrings.

...you wear a Geocaching decoder ring instead of your wedding ring.

...any purse or briefcase that people are carrying suddenly take on the appearence of an ammo box geocache, or Tupperware.

...you don't get sleep anymore.

...you apply to get a geocaching sitcom on this season's program lineup.

...you go into production to create the Geocachers Thriller movie, with lots of suspense.

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 13 December 2001).]

Geocaching decoder ring?! There's a Geocaching decoder ring? No one told me about any ring! Why wasn't I told about the ring? Where do I get the ring?? (Ok, so I'm looking forward to the Lord of the Rings movie}

Crusso

Guest Geoffrey

You wake up to find a Geocache in your fridge, then find your left-over turkey dinner under a tree.

...you encrypt all your WORD documents, then practice decrypting them.

------------------

My GPS Information Page:

http://members.aol.com/geoffr524/myhomepage/howto.html

This page has many links about GPS information for the beginner.

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 14 December 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

You wake up to find a Geocache in your fridge, then find your left-over turkey dinner under a tree.

Game. Set. Match. icon_biggrin.gif

(BTW, anyone want to start making decoder rings?)

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Game. Set. Match. icon_biggrin.gif

(BTW, anyone want to start making decoder rings?)

You wake up and realize that the really cool cache you found, that you couldn't wait to log, was really just a dream. You then lay in bed an extra 10 minutes trying to figure out how to place that cache in real life. (yes, this just happened to me. Hi, my name is Mopar, and I too am a geocacher)

quote:

You know your addicted to geocaching when...

...You try to find out how to modify your GPS to use "D" Cell flashlight batteries.

(edited 13 December 2001).]

I'm there right now.

tak1

Guest ClayJar

If you've got a Magellan receiver, it'd be really easy to build a battery pack to put in a pocket of your backpack, and then just have a standard power cable going to the receiver. You'd have the power cable to look out for, but it'd be easier, less permanent, and a lot lighter GPS-side than actually rigging D cells to the unit itself.

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

SSoooo seeing as I have already done the D-cell battery pack thing AND then a solar cell hookup - no batteries at all - for my 315, does this mean I am in trouble ???

You're fine as long as you have a schematic up by the end of the month. icon_wink.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:

SSoooo seeing as I have already done the D-cell battery pack thing AND then a solar cell hookup - no batteries at all - for my 315, does this mean I am in trouble ???

You're fine as long as you have a schematic up by the end of the month. icon_wink.gif

Guest RedwoodRed

- You and your spouse have only geocaching items on your Christmas lists: Gel cell batteries for the headlight and ham radio handheld, truly waterproof hiking boots, a new raincoat without tears from berry bushes and brambles, a walking stick with a small nail in the tip to pick up trash while caching...

- your PDA has decryption notes in Word, notes and tasks.

- the people at the Dollar Store know you on a first name basis and show you where all of the new stuff is upon your arrival.

- you plan a trip to visit friends and family only if they live near a lot of geocaches.

- you have a bumper sticker made for your vehicle that reads: "Ask me about Geocaching!"

- you have a bumper sticker on your vehicle that reads, "Yeah, well MY kid helped solve the Contact Cache puzzle in Hillsboro!"

RedwoodRed

http://www.geogadgets.com

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

http://www.geogadgets.com

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

- you plan a trip to visit friends and family only if they live near a lot of geocaches.

Guilty as charged (it was almost a 1500-mile round trip). How about:

...you seriously consider missing Christmas in order to go on a 2500 mile solo caching trip.

Guest Tomebug

*You run a zip code search every day at geocaching.com to see if there are any new caches in your area.

*You mark/capture the coordinates of all your favorite hangouts, just so you can know their coordinates (not like you'll ever use them or anything).

*You look up zip codes of places you go on vacation because you've already found the ones close to home.

*You store cache items in your car "just in case."

*you no longer talk to your friends about geocaching -- none of them will allow it.

*You plan your entire vacation around Geocaching.

*Your dog is no longer excited to jump into the car with you.

*...or when your caching paraphernalia pile gets bigger than your computer paraphernalia pile.

*you spend hours thinking up things for this thread

*And of course, when your 5 year old knows how to read your GPS, "Mom, we're 154 feet!"

*Your husband catches you in front of the computer at 5am and says "Geez, now you need a morning fix?" and you reply, "No, it's not like that! Really!" ...but it is.

*You go to geocaching.com and position your mouse pointer on the link you want - before the page is drawn.

*And friends who cant read a GPS display just arent as good of friends anymore...

*If you have to bribe your 4 year old with McDonalds in order to get her to go treasure hunting with you!

*You plan your vacation around how many caches are in an area.

*You check for new caches in your area before you check your e-mail. If you see one, what e-mail?

*Your kids wonder where all their stuff went.

LMAO...I own every one of these!

Guest Trafcon

You take an old baseball hat and go out and buy your own cable so you can rig your Garmin V antenna on the top of the hat to get better signal strength and your body doesn't block the signals from behind.

Hey at least it keeps my arms from getting too tired on the long hikes.

------------------

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

[This message has been edited by Trafcon (edited 15 December 2001).]

*You run a zip code search once a week because your pretty confident that nothing has slipped by you.

*All your friend's, family's homes have been zip code searched and plotted and have definite holding patterns for visitation.

*You store cache items in your car, home, office, person....hell.. your idea of cache items takes on a whole new light. What started off with junk draw, became dollar store, flea market.. right up to what I don't need or want but someone must.

*At Christmas time your stocking stuffers are confused for cache items....and you start looking in your caching bag to stuff the stocking.

*You look forward to seeing what kinds of Stuff you get for Christmas that you might not want so that you can offer some cool cache items. Returning??.. what's that? back to the stores?? Forget AbouT IT!

*You have more information then the Welcome Wagon when new cachers move to the area icon_smile.gif

*my favorite... Rereading logs...I love reading everyones reaction to the placement and once someone visits I reread the whole page... sheesh.. at least 3 times I'd say.. kinda makes me feel like I was out there again with them but getting a different perspective.

**You never talk to your friends about geocaching anymore... yeah I'm there too... for the most part... but when I come up with something cool I tell em about it and update along the way... I'm thinking about hang'n a map at work and flag'n the path of Old Bet's travels....my first travel bug I sent along that's done well in her travels and brought up enough area history that people seem to have somewhat of an interest as to what happens to her. Otherwise I think they think I'm just nuts with my caching obsession icon_smile.gif

*You run a zip code search once a week because your pretty confident that nothing has slipped by you.

*All your friend's, family's homes have been zip code searched and plotted and have definite holding patterns for visitation.

*You store cache items in your car, home, office, person....hell.. your idea of cache items takes on a whole new light. What started off with junk draw, became dollar store, flea market.. right up to what I don't need or want but someone must.

*At Christmas time your stocking stuffers are confused for cache items....and you start looking in your caching bag to stuff the stocking.

*You look forward to seeing what kinds of Stuff you get for Christmas that you might not want so that you can offer some cool cache items. Returning??.. what's that? back to the stores?? Forget AbouT IT!

*You have more information then the Welcome Wagon when new cachers move to the area icon_smile.gif

*my favorite... Rereading logs...I love reading everyones reaction to the placement and once someone visits I reread the whole page... sheesh.. at least 3 times I'd say.. kinda makes me feel like I was out there again with them but getting a different perspective.

**You never talk to your friends about geocaching anymore... yeah I'm there too... for the most part... but when I come up with something cool I tell em about it and update along the way... I'm thinking about hang'n a map at work and flag'n the path of Old Bet's travels....my first travel bug I sent along that's done well in her travels and brought up enough area history that people seem to have somewhat of an interest as to what happens to her. Otherwise I think they think I'm just nuts with my caching obsession icon_smile.gif

there too... for the most part... but when I come up with something cool I tell em about it and update along the way... I'm thinking about hang'n a map at work and flag'n the path of Old Bet's travels....my first travel bug I sent along that's done well in her travels and brought up enough area history that people seem to have somewhat of an interest as to what happens to her. Otherwise I think they think I'm just nuts with my caching obsession icon_smile.gif

there too... for the most part... but when I come up with something cool I tell em about it and update along the way... I'm thinking about hang'n a map at work and flag'n the path of Old Bet's travels....my first travel bug I sent along that's done well in her travels and brought up enough area history that people seem to have somewhat of an interest as to what happens to her. Otherwise I think they think I'm just nuts with my caching obsession icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

...every time you get home, your cat comes up to you like she was never going to see you again... and it's almost justified.

...the "local" section on your caching TODO list includes te entire state of Louisiana.

...you check the not-yet-approved queue before you go out every Saturday, just in case.

...you haven't missed a weekend caching since the remnants of a hurricane blew through the second weekend in June.

...your online logbook is the only part of your web site that you've updated this year.

...you have a separate account for geocaching-related e-mail, and it automatically sorts into "Watch Lists", "Forum Notifications", and "General Geocaching" based on the headers.

...you've seen a new cache and just decided to grab water and go, even though it's about a five-hour drive and it's 9:30pm.

...you have a container theme going, based on your geocaching name.

...you know at least twenty-five people who have said, "Oh, cool! I wanna come," and so far you've actually been accompanied by three of them.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

you have a separate account for geocaching-related e-mail, and it automatically sorts into "Watch Lists", "Forum Notifications", and "General Geocaching" based on the headers.

...and, that seperate caching eMail is auto forwarded to both your alpha pager and WAP cellphone.

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

quote:

...ya have a 4 x 8 foot map of the U.S. on the wall with found caches marked, including miles and driving time.

...or, you have saved every trinket you ever traded for to make a display on your office wall:

collection_th.jpg

Guest Choberiba

Ttepee: You never talk to your friends about geocaching anymore

I did a barrel roll of a chuckle when I read that. I can see it on people's faces, sort of like having a brother-in-law who sells Amway and won't for the love of God shut up about it.

I have a mental checklist of who I've introduced to the hobby, and who will soon be developing facial ticks* were I to utter anything even remotely related.

People have joked about needing a 12 step program, maybe we could trim it down to three or four steps, print it out, and hide it somewhere in an ammo box out in the woods.... never mind.

*at least the facial variety don't carry lyme disease.

ClayJar: you have a separate account for geocaching-related e-mail

How about registering a domain for this purpose? I still can't believe I was able to nab cachestash.com.

Choberiba

Guest Morseman

You place a cache outside your place of work (Yes, done that)

You start looking for cheap boxes to hide caches in (Yes, done that)

At car boot and jumble sales you haggle over bulk buying small furry toys (No, not done that, yet)

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest BLEdwardsJ

when you:

build a dash mount

buy a handle bar mount

added a tripple cig lighter to truck so I can run GPS, Cell phone (to call home and tell wife I'm running just a little bit late), and a charger for rechargable spotlight

volunteered to help kids clean room

get in trouble at work oops gota go

------------------

Guest web-ling

...when all of the kids' presents from Santa come in Tupperware and ammo cans...and they're happy about it!

(Mrs. Web-ling, aka Nutri-Mom, won't be too happy icon_frown.gif ...But Miss Pumpkin and Curly Tiger will love it! icon_biggrin.gif )

Guest web-ling

...when all of the kids' presents from Santa come in Tupperware and ammo cans...and they're happy about it!

(Mrs. Web-ling, aka Nutri-Mom, won't be too happy icon_frown.gif ...But Miss Pumpkin and Curly Tiger will love it! icon_biggrin.gif )

...the first site on my browser when I turn it on is geocaching.com

...your truck is outfitted with an AC inverter and battery chargers

...you seriously contemplate on getting a laptop and wireless connection inside your truck for the sole purpose of finding out caches in the areas you visit.

...you look for fellow geocaching enthusiasts as a date qualification

...you go geocaching on your first (and second, and third) date

...all you want for christmas are GPS accessories/software

...your latest pair of shoes were chosen with geocaching in mind

Guest logscaler

You drove 60 extra miles to get one of those $129.99 MAP 330X rigs so you could now have 1,000 waypoints. (500 x 2)

You have 16 different easygps files on your laptop for different regions you MIGHT be going to, just incase. All updated daily, including reading newest logs.

You are packing at least 2 full blown ready to go caches in the trunk, just in case.

When the gals down at the 99 cent store call and tell you when the latest shipment got in, and what was in it on your REQUEST list.

[This message has been edited by logscaler (edited 18 December 2001).]