Do you have/will you get a Charter Membership?

mrcpu

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas E. Welch:

How about a waiting to see what happens choice?

I make computing clear!

That's what "I will get one soon" is for. If you really are on the fence then I guess that's OK. Unfortunatly I can't put more then 5 items in a poll icon_mad.gif

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas E. Welch:

How about a waiting to see what happens choice?

I make computing clear!

That's what "I will get one soon" is for. If you really are on the fence then I guess that's OK. Unfortunatly I can't put more then 5 items in a poll icon_mad.gif

Rob

According to my calculations, Jeremy should be able to raise $50,000 per year at current rates:

"Active Users" in last 7 days based on the About Geocaching Page: 2745

74% of respondents say they have a 1 year membership.

2745 * 74% * $30 then rounded down to $50,000

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

According to my calculations, Jeremy should be able to raise $50,000 per year at current rates:

Rob

I don't think it is safe to assume that because 74% of those who answered the poll have 1 year subscriptions, that 74% of all geocachers will subscribe. icon_frown.gif It would be nice if that were the case, but most of the people answering the poll are the hard-core cachers that would curl into a ball and die if they lost geocaching.

I subscribed for the 1 year membership within 10 minutes of knowing I could. With no reservations or regrets. Jeremy does a great job and I have no problem funding something which gives me so much enjoyment.

rdw

quote:

Rob

I don't think it is safe to assume that because 74% of those who answered the poll have 1 year subscriptions, that 74% of all geocachers will subscribe. icon_frown.gif It would be nice if that were the case, but most of the people answering the poll are the hard-core cachers that would curl into a ball and die if they lost geocaching.

I subscribed for the 1 year membership within 10 minutes of knowing I could. With no reservations or regrets. Jeremy does a great job and I have no problem funding something which gives me so much enjoyment.

rdw

Until you are a shareholder in geocaching.com, I don't think it is any persons business what income Jeremy is making. Pay the thirty bucks or don't - and just continue to enjoy the game.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

..... I don't think it is any persons business what income Jeremy is making. ...

Besides ... the amount of work it's going to take and cost of the machines ... it's not going to come to a lot per hour ... I PERSONALLY HOPE IT DOES ... but bottom line ... as long as it keeps the site running and improving ... BIG THUMBS UP!

348_1002.gif

"Raising money" and "income" are not the same things, guys.

I think it's interesting that we expect geocaching.com to survive on $50,000 a year ... doesn't seem like much money to pay for equipment and bandwidth and still hire someone to tend the database. Besides which, Jeremy does a LOT more than tend.

I don't care if this move brings in $500,000.00 a year. Not my business.If Jeremy could devote all of his time here (as opposed to the countless hours he already has), it could only be a benefit to all of us. No matter what the dollar figure, it's still only going to cost me a scant 30 bucks a year to be an active member in what has become my favorite pastime. I got my membership immediatly after reading the first hint of it. Best 30 bucks I've spent all year. Keep it up, Jeremy.Thank you for all you've done.

Gary "Gimpy Strong

Look, you know what? I don't know anything about Jeremy. For all I know, he's really a woman or an eight year-old boy or... whatever. And I don't care how much money he's making.

I just like caching. And if $30 is going to make it more enjoyable, or challenging, or fun - for anyone - then it's a worthwhile investment.

My kids like hiking. They didn't used to. Can I pay for TWO years in advance?

Charlie

Oops! I guess I irked a couple of people! I wasn't trying to be nosey. I figured it an interesting academic exercise to figure out a theoretical and completely inaccurate financial forcast.

I'm not interested in how much money J. makes, other than to wish him the very best and hope that he makes a million!

I am curious as to whether or not the $30/year is going to be enough. I imagine that combined with the Shirts and other things it may just be.

As for the shareholder comments... In a way, being a charter membership reminds me of being in a coop. The success of the Geocaching site is the interest of all members and non-members equally!!!

I'm not asking or even suggesting that Groudspeak provide disclosure in any way shape or form. I DON'T have the right to do that!!!!

I'm just a curious fellow and using the available evidence anyone can make assumptions about anything!!!!

Rob

Well, I am glad to see everyone is so gungho about paying to play. What amazes me on this and simular threads is the number of people who posted opinions who are people we have never heard of . . .Where are the old regulars? How does "Shel" who has only one post know that $50,000 is or is not enough to purchase and run the site?

Stop and think about what is going to start happening people . . .When others see that Geocaching.com is charging $30 a pop to become "Charter members" other sites are going to start poping up. Geocaching will fragment. remember the dot.com problems of not that long ago? How many are not around today?

Why would anyone want to post a plain old "public cache" anymore anyway? After all, didn't someone say that a pay service would almost eliminate plundering of caches??. . . Do you really think that in a year, when most new cache placers are listing as "members only" caches and the "public" caches start going down hill, that new people are going to want to throw down $30.00 just to get the information to try geocaching?

Sorry, people, I don't see much good coming out of this. I know that there are several of you that think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe it is. If I can get a listing of all the people who have looked at my "members only" caches to ensure that they are not being plundered, it might be worth it. Do I think this will stop or slow plundering? Not for a moment.

quote:
Originally posted by Drive-in:

Why would anyone want to post a plain old "public cache" anymore anyway? After all, didn't someone say that a pay service would almost eliminate plundering of caches??. . . Do you really think that in a year, when most new cache placers are listing as "members only" caches and the "public" caches start going down hill, that new people are going to want to throw down $30.00 just to get the information to try geocaching?

Hmm...196 caches within 100 miles of my house...several new ones in the last few days by charter members...ZERO members only caches. Looks like a big problem to me!

quote:

If I can get a listing of all the people who have looked at my "members only" caches to ensure that they are not being plundered, it might be worth it.

You can, if you're a charter member.

IF I set any member-only caches, it will be only for a limited amount of time, then I'll open them up to everyone. Half the fun of setting caches is to see who visits them. By restricting access, I'd lose out on the satisfaction I get from seeing that a newbie chose my cache as their first!

I don't think private caches are going to be a big issue!

Web-ling

25021_400.jpg

quote:

I'm curious how many people have gotten or are planning on getting a Charter Membership.

It looks like a lot more people signed up as a member membership than ones that will not. So why do I see so many posts about poeple being upset about a membership based system?

Quit your bellyaching and go geocaching!

quote:

Oops! I guess I irked a couple of people! I wasn't trying to be nosey. I figured it an interesting academic exercise to figure out a theoretical and completely inaccurate financial forcast.

I'm not interested in how much money J. makes, other than to wish him the very best and hope that he makes a million!

I am curious as to whether or not the $30/year is going to be enough. I imagine that combined with the Shirts and other things it may just be.

As for the shareholder comments... In a way, being a charter membership reminds me of being in a coop. The success of the Geocaching site is the interest of all members and non-members equally!!!

I'm not asking or even suggesting that Groudspeak provide disclosure in any way shape or form. I DON'T have the right to do that!!!!

I'm just a curious fellow and using the available evidence anyone can make assumptions about anything!!!!

Rob

Our local food Co-op charged a membership. The highest price was $25 for a lifetime membership, which I paid. After they got enough money, they let everybody in. Somehow I don't feel very special anymore. icon_frown.gif W

quote:

Rob

Our local food Co-op charged a membership. The highest price was $25 for a lifetime membership, which I paid. After they got enough money, they let everybody in. Somehow I don't feel very special anymore. icon_frown.gif W

quote:

What amazes me on this and simular threads is the number of people who posted opinions who are people we have never heard of . . .Where are the old regulars? How does "Shel" who has only one post know that $50,000 is or is not enough to purchase and run the site?

It might be that when "Shel" joined, the old post numbers got wiped out. Least thats what happened with mine. Also the username automaticly goes to the name you used when logging/hiding caches unless you update your profile.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

In fact that's exactly what happened -- my old post counts didn't transfer to the new forums, besides which my old forum name wasn't the same as my caching name, so when the chance came to unite my fragmented personalities, I snatched it! icon_smile.gif

And it's not about the numbers anyway, right?

Looks like Drive-in has about two weeks' experience on me, and I have three or four finds on him ... as of today, anyway ... numbers do change.

But now I have two posts! icon_smile.gif

In fact that's exactly what happened -- my old post counts didn't transfer to the new forums, besides which my old forum name wasn't the same as my caching name, so when the chance came to unite my fragmented personalities, I snatched it! icon_smile.gif

And it's not about the numbers anyway, right?

Looks like Drive-in has about two weeks' experience on me, and I have three or four finds on him ... as of today, anyway ... numbers do change.

But now I have two posts! icon_smile.gif

I am glad to pay (as soon as my wife gets around to it) 30 dollers to support Geocaching.com, but I am not in favor of paying to play. M.O. caches I think have there pros and cons also whiche have been voiced and beat to death, of which I am not in favor of, but do see the security reasons (for some area's).

Oh, and I will get my membership.....

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?

I had to subscribe after all the advertising for the sport I've been doing.....ya know--put your money where your mouth is. icon_biggrin.gif

__________________________________________________________ _

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery........ there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs...

I had to subscribe after all the advertising for the sport I've been doing.....ya know--put your money where your mouth is. icon_biggrin.gif

__________________________________________________________ _

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery........ there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs...

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

...but most of the people answering the poll are the hard-core cachers that would curl into a ball and die if they lost geocaching.

ROFL! But SOOOOOOOO true! icon_wink.gif "Ow, the pain... it hurtsssss usssss!"

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

...but most of the people answering the poll are the hard-core cachers that would curl into a ball and die if they lost geocaching.

ROFL! But SOOOOOOOO true! icon_wink.gif "Ow, the pain... it hurtsssss usssss!"

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Until you are a shareholder in geocaching.com, I don't think it is any persons business what income Jeremy is making. Pay the thirty bucks or don't - and just continue to enjoy the game.

I disagree - If I am considering buying a 1 year subscription, I would like to know the status of the company - will they be around in a year?. A big factor is if costs are covered. One way we can look into this is the price and est. the number of subscribers.

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

I disagree - If I am considering buying a 1 year subscription, I would like to know the status of the company - will they be around in a year?. A big factor is if costs are covered. One way we can look into this is the price and est. the number of subscribers.

Give me a break. When you subscribe to any thing else did you ask for financial records? How many magazines or anything you have wasted money on (as we all have) have sent the records to you? Although maybe someone should have asked AT&T DSL about that since they bit the big one in our area a few months ago!

If something gives me this much pleasure, gets me off of my big a** to do something other than play video games, has an investment of $0 (I already bought an e-trex for my wife 6 months ago but that's another story ), and allows me to get some fun excersize in without the expense of going to the gym, I am all for it. I was into scuba diving for about 6 years and that is REAL EXPENSIVE!

Be thankful for a site this nice, someone who cares about the upkeep, puts in the time to keep it up and maintains the equipment WITHOUT advertising everywhere. I hate going to some sites because everytime you change screens, another ad pops up.

Honestly Jeremy, the check is in the mail and I will still respect you in the morning. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Give me a break. When you subscribe to any thing else did you ask for financial records? How many magazines or anything you have wasted money on (as we all have) have sent the records to you? Although maybe someone should have asked AT&T DSL about that since they bit the big one in our area a few months ago!

If something gives me this much pleasure, gets me off of my big a** to do something other than play video games, has an investment of $0 (I already bought an e-trex for my wife 6 months ago but that's another story ), and allows me to get some fun excersize in without the expense of going to the gym, I am all for it. I was into scuba diving for about 6 years and that is REAL EXPENSIVE!

Be thankful for a site this nice, someone who cares about the upkeep, puts in the time to keep it up and maintains the equipment WITHOUT advertising everywhere. I hate going to some sites because everytime you change screens, another ad pops up.

Honestly Jeremy, the check is in the mail and I will still respect you in the morning. icon_wink.gif

quote:

I disagree - If I am considering buying a 1 year subscription, I would like to know the status of the company - will they be around in a year.

Then take the monthly $3 option. If geocaching.com goes under within the year, you'll prove how wise your forsight was.

Member:

banner-small.gif

I have been doing a lot of complaining about the Member Only Caches in some other threads but I definitely think this site is worth $30 a year to me. I also think that joining will make me feel better about voicing opposing opinions just like voting gives me a right to complain about whichever idiot gets elected. I know you can still use the site without joining but if you use something alot I think you should support it.

I am enduring one of those "can anything else possibly break" times around home and won't have a spare dime until mid-April but I will join.

I ran a full-time online business at the same time I worked 40hrs at a real job and I am in total awe of Jeremy's ability to keep up this site. I also know that unless you have been involved in it personally you wouldn't believe how much big-time bandwidth can cost.

Rusty...

(shareware - if you continue to use after 30days you should register)

quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I have been doing a lot of complaining about the Member Only Caches ...

I am enduring one of those "can anything else possibly break" times around home and won't have a spare dime until mid-April but I will join.

First of all I'm kind of tired of the MOC complaints and whinning ... but that's another story ... icon_biggrin.gif

On the other ... I feel your pain ... same boat here ... and more ... but you have to do what you can to make things work ... You probably know ... but in case you don't ... you can join for $3 per month ... That's pretty easy to cope with ... if you still want to contribute to the costs. But YOU DON'T HAVE TO ... Hang in there it'll get better icon_biggrin.gif ... I haven't had an appliance break down in ... oh, 8 days now! icon_rolleyes.gif

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I have been doing a lot of complaining about the Member Only Caches ...

First of all I'm kind of tired of the MOC complaints and whinning ... but that's another story ... icon_biggrin.gif

On the other ... I feel your pain ... same boat here ... and more ... but you have to do what you can to make things work ... You probably know ... but in case you don't ... you can join for $3 per month ... That's pretty easy to cope with ... if you still want to contribute to the costs. But YOU DON'T HAVE TO ... Hang in there it'll get better icon_biggrin.gif ... I haven't had an appliance break down in ... oh, 8 days now! icon_rolleyes.gif

348_1002.gif

The first time my wife and I logged on this site we were amazed all of this was free. I know from personal experience what it take to keep even a small web site going. We gladly paid our 30 bucks. The site is still free for those who can,t aford to or choose not to join and that's a good thing. I am much more concerned about restrictions against geocaching on public land.

Live long and Cache

Jim & Deb