Spouse's Heavy Demands on Geocacher Extra!

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

My wife has always been supportive of my interests and hobbies, but of late, my interest in geocaching has been screwed with by virtue of a couple of her mighty concerns:

1) lyme disease

2) life insurance

I had more or less poo-pooed or ignored her concerns in typical male fashion for several weeks on these two issues, primarily because they weren't big concerns of mine.

To get my attention on this, she confiscated my GPS one day. Took it and hid it. Well, not wishing to indulge in a pyrrhic 'power trip' (how close I came to simply buying another GPS I won't tell you), I requested it be returned and we sat down and discussed it. Huh! Discuss. Do what she asks is all it meant.

Upshot? Until such time as I'm covered by a $100,000 life insurance policy (I've only about $20,000 currently), she has requested that when geocaching I wear long pants, no hiking sandals, and exercise 'reasonable caution'. Seem reasonable? Aaggh, who knows, I no longer know. But in deference to her wishes, on recent cache-hunts this weekend I dressed in t-shirt, boots, and long pants and my fun wasn't notably constricted. I've actually come to realize that hiking boots are better than my hiking sandals for obvious reasons.

So.

As an addendum, today on Labor Day, I told wifey that I was going out to place a cache (dressed in shorts, hiking sandals), knowing that the area I headed for was along the shore of the Bay-- an area I often dressed quite similarly for when walking the dog.

She sees me dressed as I am in shorts and sandals and says, "What's our agreement, Chris"? I explain that the area I'm heading for is along the bayfront, that I'm not dressing in any way differently than I would were I walking the dog... she says nothing.

I inwardly groan and with an exasperated flair state I'll wear the required clothes. As I'm about to change I say, aw, screw it, I'll just walk the dog. No geocache placement today, just a dogwalk.

I tell her as much, and dog and I get in the car and drive off to the dogpark. While there I check on my own geocache 'Dog Day Afternoon' and see that it's fine. In sandals. In shorts. I shake my head at the irony of it all-- have I broken my word?

It's ironic that dogwalking is ok (maybe?) or just a walk in the neighborhood, or even a stroll along the weedy bayfront could be safe. I could get a tick in my own backyard, yes? It's not reasonable to dress up in long pants tucked into socks in my backyard, of course.

I'd pretty much resolved myself to endure this circumstance until the life insurance kicked in, at which point wife admits that I can go geocaching in whatever dadgum clothes I want to-- the only positive thing out of this has been a bit of fiscal responsibility to my family and the realization that my hiking sandals are no good for bushwhacking as a geocacher. They're fine for trails, but not so good for off-trail. Live and learn.

Anyone else have any such restrictions from significant others? What do you think responsible behavior is for a geocacher who is married and with kids in terms of the risk of lyme disease?

For my purposes, keeping a vigilant eye on my body for ticks is the only reasonable approach-- but the only tick known to carry lyme in California is a small, poppy-seed sized one that I might not even notice. !@#$%!! I could arrange my geocache exploits only during winter, summer midday, or on hotter times of the day in spring or fall, when ticks are less active and there's less moisture in the air, but what else can I do?

Input appreciated on this thread!

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

My wife has always been supportive of my interests and hobbies, but of late, my interest in geocaching has been screwed with by virtue of a couple of her mighty concerns:

My God! All this talk about someone else picking out your clothes for you, telling you what shoes you should wear, and taking away your favorite toy. If you substitute the word "Mother" for "Wife", it sounds like a teenager complaining about his parents.

Other than a marriage counselor, I can't think of anything to suggest.

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 03 September 2001).]

Guest hgmonaro

It's probably more dangerous driving down to the shops to get some milk... statistics would prove it I'm sure!

My (or should I say 'our') GPS is dead at the moment. The other night I hinted that I had to check whether the local agent really charged a set service fee that was almost as much as the unit's replacement value (as shown on their website), because if that was the case I'd buy a modern one... I was told "fine, but not until our house is completed cause you haven't got time to do that at the moment" Hmm... and I thought she was hooked on Geocaching! Looks like more weekends of looking at tiles and carpet!

Guest xsintrik

Not having been married myself, all I can say is - dadgum!.

Since she says you can wear what you want once you increase your insurance, it appears her concern is primarily financial, so maybe I should say Greedy, just kidding [ icon_biggrin.gif].

Maybe you should have just gotten a rider on your life insurance that says if you die of Lyme's disease acquired while geocaching, then she gets the $100,000 instead of the $20,000. [ icon_wink.gif]

Curious, was the size of your life insurance policy an issue before and she just used geocaching for leverage, or was it really a geocaching/Tick/Lyme's disease issue?

I've taken my daughter, her mother, her two half brothers, my cousin's three kids and a couple of thier friends along with me geocaching with out any problems. Although I have pulled ticks off of myself after geocaching adventures. Boots and long pants help, mostly for the stickers and thorns though. The last two ticks I pulled from my lower back, I guess I should have tucked my shirt in too. I don't know the prevelance of Lyme's disease here in Texas, but either way, I have a better chance of being killed in a car wreck on my way to the cache site, then by a tick bite. Actually, from the sunburns recieved while geocaching, I imagine I have a greater chance of skin cancer than Lyme's disease.

Next time, tell her if you can't geocache, then you will take up skydiving instead and maybe her opinion of geocaching will change.

------------------

xsintrik

Guest xsintrik

Not having been married myself, all I can say is - dadgum!.

Since she says you can wear what you want once you increase your insurance, it appears her concern is primarily financial, so maybe I should say Greedy, just kidding [ icon_biggrin.gif].

Maybe you should have just gotten a rider on your life insurance that says if you die of Lyme's disease acquired while geocaching, then she gets the $100,000 instead of the $20,000. [ icon_wink.gif]

Curious, was the size of your life insurance policy an issue before and she just used geocaching for leverage, or was it really a geocaching/Tick/Lyme's disease issue?

I've taken my daughter, her mother, her two half brothers, my cousin's three kids and a couple of thier friends along with me geocaching with out any problems. Although I have pulled ticks off of myself after geocaching adventures. Boots and long pants help, mostly for the stickers and thorns though. The last two ticks I pulled from my lower back, I guess I should have tucked my shirt in too. I don't know the prevelance of Lyme's disease here in Texas, but either way, I have a better chance of being killed in a car wreck on my way to the cache site, then by a tick bite. Actually, from the sunburns recieved while geocaching, I imagine I have a greater chance of skin cancer than Lyme's disease.

Next time, tell her if you can't geocache, then you will take up skydiving instead and maybe her opinion of geocaching will change.

------------------

xsintrik

Guest brokenwing

Chris,

Just a piece of advice. Regardless of your wife's irrational fears, it's best to make her happy. It's not worth the grief she'll give you otherwise.

Besides, $20,000 of life insurance is not sufficient. If your family depends on you for income, you should have insurance with a death benefit large enough to pay off your debts, provide a continued stream of income for your family and help fund any other long-term savings goals like college expenses for your kids, or your wife's retirement.

For your own education, take a look at the CDC's information site on Lyme Disease. You will see that Lyme Disease is rarely, if ever fatal, and that there are only about 100 to 150 reported cases annually in California. Remember, these are reported cases, actual cases are likely higher. Still, your chances of even getting the disease are extremely small. Lyme Disease is also quite treatable, and the likelihood of any severe repercussions from the disease even less likely. There are lots of things to worry about in this life, but you catching Lyme Disease while geocaching, should not be one of them.

If she ever gets over this irrational fear, you need to try to get her involved in the sport. My whole family, including by 2 year daughter love to geocache. It's a great family sport.

Best of luck,

brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

My wife has always been supportive of my interests and hobbies

I see your other hobbies are cartooning, reading and comic books. Does she adjust the light properly over your shoulder and make sure you have the correct wattage to see? Read what you wrote--then get a GRIP. It's geocaching, not some life altering experience like cancer or a stroke. For God's sake, wear your sandals--I do. Who cares what someone else thinks you should or shouldn't be wearing?

[This message has been edited by celts (edited 03 September 2001).]

Guest Cisupete

Hey Chris, forget about the life insurance and sell your story to Disney. I can just see the movie title up in lights now: "THE GEOCACHER IN THE BUBBLE". Ya never know, this hobby could prove to be a lifesaver !!

Guest Chris Juricich

f reason. It's not about what's correct or incorrect-- it's about how she feels-- and that's pure emotion and no amount of arguing will help.

Thanks for your input-- more?

Guest Chris Juricich

An addendum-- my wife is a very loving person, but believe me, when she gets scared about something, despite her prodigious intellect, she goes totally irrational. But then, fear is an emotion, so no surprise.

I think single people's reaction to my circumstances are decidedly different from those of a married person. Choosing to live with someone come hell and highwater allows for some unusual compromises, believe me. At least, any married person would immediately get it.

Guest larrycot98

quote:
I think single people's reaction to my circumstances are decidedly different from those of a married person. Choosing to live with someone come hell and highwater allows for some unusual compromises, believe me. At least, any married person would immediately get it.

I get it. As I was reading through the responses to your original post, I realized that none of those guys were married.

Comments like:

quote:
For God's sake, wear your sandals--I do. Who cares what someone else thinks you should or shouldn't be wearing?
can only be made by a single guy or one who will be single shortly.

For what it's worth: I can relate. I too have learned that minor compromise is the essence of a happy marriage. When I think of all the crap my wife puts up with from me, I'm happy to give in to her little requests.

Funny though.... She suggested I get a motorcycle a few years back, not long after we increased our life insurance.... hmm....

Guest leskowitz

I have wife and kids, so I can somewhat relate. My wife is not into it, but she is not against it. We follow one basic rules.

Geocaching is second to family time.

That means even if I am a mile away from 5 caches and the kids need a bath, the cache loses. That is hard to shallow sometimes but I am okay with it. This also means no Groundspeak/site checking unless everyone is asleep and the kids have to go with me if I drop off a cache. I am just luckly I don't need much sleep.

Guest Chris Juricich

My wife will occasionally pull some stuff about 'see to the kid before you check your email, etc.' As I'm a travelling salesman, my time is my own during the day, so once our son is off to school, my wife is off to work, hell! I could geocache all day long, check the geocaching forums all day long, or just go to the movies!

Point is, I have enough time to spend more with our son in the AM than mess around on the computer.

But compromise-- boy! I'll admit there are times I'd just like to tell the world to f--- off, I'll do what I want. Even my wife has fantasies of being a 'single' woman-- or at least, living alone for awhile in her own place just so she could write her book! Hell, I'd be fine with that-- our relationship is at the point where we could survive separation for awhile-- and endure. She accepts that I want to buy a sailboat and live on it and sail off a bit for a time, and agreed to meet me in Puerto Vallarta or Alaska as the case may be!

Guest Jerrold21

I have also recently been put on some limits, my wife enjoys geocaching with me, she is just tired of going 100's of miles everytime we run down to the store. She says that we cannot go anywhere without me plotting a map of nearby caches along the way. I have been late to a few planned events, because I had to stop for a new cache along the way. so her new rule is, If we are going somewhere (movie, dinner, family, etc.) then thats were we are going, no caching along the way. I have somewhat agreed to this, but with the exception of, if there is time for it or if we are a great distance from home and may not get back to a area soon, which she agreed to the part of, if there is time for it(sometimes). when you are married you just have to compromise, I give a little she gives a little, until we find a spot where we are both okay with it. JERRY

Guest Snowtrail

From what I can tell, I'm the first married female to respond to this issue.

If the wife is that restrictive on the conditions for you to go geocaching, then she has probably never been on a hunt. My guess is, she's not really an outdoorsy kind of gal to begin with, and doesn't understand the whole tick thing either.

I agree with some compromise on the geocaching. My husband complains that I spend too much time in the woods as well, but I compromise by going early Saturday morning when he's still in bed, or when we're on a trip together, or after work. I never lie about what I'm doing or where I'm going because that's a good way to never be found again if something happens.

If you have to wear the long pants and boots to take a walk on the beach (you can get ticks from your dog in your living room too), take the wife. Let her see how mundane and tame the cache location is stored. But, if she asks for help to paint a room, do that too.

How long have you been married? A good marriage depends on trust, compromise and communication. Sharing something you enjoy with someone you love makes the house that much happier.

" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:

Originally posted by Snowtrail:

From what I can tell, I'm the first married female to respond to this issue.

Sorry, but I was apparently the first married woman to respond---33 very happy years, but if my husband had written the response, it wouldn't have been much different. In 33 years, you learn a lot about compromise but there's a lot more than that to a good loving relationship. We are each individuals supported and trusted by the other with room to stretch our own wings. We have individual identities and thoughts and we're very happy. And I couldn't ever imagine in my wildest dreams ever having to get his permission to wear my sandals.

Guest Chris Juricich

If you have to wear the long pants and boots to take a walk on the beach (you can get ticks from your dog in your living room too), take the wife. Let her see how mundane and tame the cache location is stored. But, if she asks for help to paint a room, do that too.

No, she's not an outdoorsy person-- at all, and neither am I, really. But in pursuit of these cache goals, I'm coming to appreciate both the environs as well as the way to exercise.

How long have you been married? A good marriage depends on trust, compromise and communication. Sharing something you enjoy with someone you love makes the house that much happier.

How long? October 4, 1985, and I usually remember our wedding day and she doesn't! Our relationship may be typical-- she makes demands and I accede. Not sure if that's compromise or not-- but as I rarely make demands or requests of her, as long as I'm mostly left alone in other areas I'm pretty much ok.

We had a long non-argument about keeping the dog in a safety belt harness while driving. As with everything she suggests, it sounds 'reasonable', but I most often interpret them as infringements on my own freedom. Almost always.

Two thoughts:

1) Reading these posts makes me SO GLAD that my wife is as into geocaching as I am. We get home from work, touch base with the kids and their day, then hit side-by-side computers to catch up on the Groundspeak forums. She's the one that did all the planning for our recent caching frenzy. An evening free, how about hitting that new cache we read about is her suggestion. And just to keep it even more interesting, we co-developed a bonus system for the first to find each cache we hunt.

2) To Chris, I read a few items in your posts that would sure worry me:

• once the life insurance goes into effect, I'm 'free' to wear whatever I feel
  • I usually remember our wedding day and she doesn't
  • it's about how she feels

Looks to me that she doesn't care about losing you, she cares about losing your income. I agree with c.mathis, Other than a marriage counselor, I can't think of anything to suggest.

Guest Cache-potato

Crimeny! The only thing I can say is I'm Sorry. I went on a 4 cache expedition this weekend sans wife. (most times she goes) all she said was take the cell phone. If she knew how much I was worth dead I wouldn't take her icon_biggrin.gif . Sorry so brief now she wants me to go bury her dog!! Another compromise. IT WAS HER DOG! (if ya need me I'll be out back with the shovel)

Guest Cache-potato

Crimeny! The only thing I can say is I'm Sorry. I went on a 4 cache expedition this weekend sans wife. (most times she goes) all she said was take the cell phone. If she knew how much I was worth dead I wouldn't take her icon_biggrin.gif . Sorry so brief now she wants me to go bury her dog!! Another compromise. IT WAS HER DOG! (if ya need me I'll be out back with the shovel)

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by larrycot98:

I get it. As I was reading through the responses to your original post, I realized that none of those guys were married.

See how wrong you can be. icon_wink.gif

I'm married and have two children. As with all marriages (partnerships) ours is a compromise.

I rock climb, hunt, fish, geocache, re-enact the 18th century "Longhunter" and can't imagine my wife dictating to me how I should do these things or what I should wear.

One of the things that makes a marriage great is the individual personalities and what they bring to the relationship. I know for some, they are attracted to someone "for who they are", but as soon as they are married they try to change the person. Not healthy.

Compromise is one thing, but having your life dictated to you is something different. I had a mother - don't need another one.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by larrycot98:

See how wrong you can be. icon_wink.gif

I'm married and have two children. As with all marriages (partnerships) ours is a compromise.

I rock climb, hunt, fish, geocache, re-enact the 18th century "Longhunter" and can't imagine my wife dictating to me how I should do these things or what I should wear.

One of the things that makes a marriage great is the individual personalities and what they bring to the relationship. I know for some, they are attracted to someone "for who they are", but as soon as they are married they try to change the person. Not healthy.

Compromise is one thing, but having your life dictated to you is something different. I had a mother - don't need another one.

Guest Zigmund Fraud

I zink zat vou are veeling zee guilt becuss zou are veelink guilty, jahvol?? Ven vou are doink das Geocashink vou shuld be not vearing der vunderware, no? Listen to der vife and put sum klothink on das bod. Do not blame der hund for vor der excuss to do das Geocashink.. Now vot vou moust do es to take der auld vattlax to der diner, jah? Den buy bier vor her and snitzel mit pomme fritz, den moore bier.. Vou moust den convess to her das sin of da Geocashink en der vunderware.. Naughty, naughty naughty vou..

Das bill es en der e-mail..

Doktor Fraud

HMO, PMS und BLT

[This message has been edited by Zigmund Fraud (edited 06 September 2001).]

Chris,

I was about to reply about compromise until someone wrote this accurate statement:

From what you've explained where is the compromise on her part? She actually confiscated your GPS. That doesn't seem like healthy communication to me. And then you are required to get life insurance and wear long pants? What did she concede as part of this "compromise"?

It seems that she has learned over time that you will bend to what she requires. You are an adult and as such should be able to make your own decisions on such things as this. I mean, it's not like you are considering buying a house together or something.

Anyway, I hope it works out...

-exConn (married)

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 06 September 2001).]

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 06 September 2001).]

Guest Chris Juricich

It's funny-- while I believe that public forums are the best way to expose the truth about things, it's kinda backfired here, and the result is one that has painted my wife in the least delightful manner.

Yeah, you're right-- there was no compromise. The notion of 'let's talk about it' means-- this is what I want you to do for me to feel comfortable

In terms of compromise in this particular issue, there is none. It seems as if she's won-- but I've found that there are areas where she surrenders as well.

The more one gets pressed and attempted at being controlled, the more it spills out elsewhere. This week in Santa Cruz during my business trip I went on four geocache trips. I had fun. And frankly, without eyes present to judge, I dressed in my normal manner.

On the face of it, to keep it all in perspective, other than certain areas of... intractability in her personality, she's a good woman who loves me deeply.

I've also learned a bit about airing my 'dirty laundry' a bit-- I get more info than I want! Oh, I may do it again, but sheesh!!

Guest Choberiba

Wow,

This thread really hit home for me on a variety of levels. Initially it was because I'm in Berkeley too and was planning on going to the Dog Day cache with my daughter today. Truly a coincidence.

I too wear shorts-n-sandles and placed "Love Child" while doing so. I too have been afraid of ticks, even more so than poison oak or wildlife.

Secondly I'm recently divorced for reasons along the line of what Chris is going through. I felt manipulated and she felt that I didn't respect her wishes.

No adultry, abuse, or even name calling. Just years of cumulative and somewhat subtle

conflicts in opinion.

We were married in August of 1994 so Chris has been married much longer than I was.

I'd like to state for the record that in my opinion, His wife does love him very much.

Does she have a sister?

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

Chris,

You painted a target on your forehead--you surely didn't think this diverse group wouldn't take aim. icon_biggrin.gif

BLAM!

Another hen-pecked husband bites the dust! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

Chris,

You painted a target on your forehead--you surely didn't think this diverse group wouldn't take aim. icon_biggrin.gif

BLAM!

Another hen-pecked husband bites the dust! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Choberiba

This is sort-of on topic...

I gave one of Chris's caches a try this evening. (No Escape)

Thinking myself clever, and wanting to prove his wife wrong, I attempted it wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Not worth it.

I would have made it, but I started too late in the day and the sun was setting as I arrived within 300 feet of the cache site.

It was about this time that I stumbled on a homeless person hiding under a blanket.

Between the setting sun, the difficult terrain (two stars - my keister), and the mysterious person of blanket... I decided to

take my sore backside (did I mention flip-flops were a bad idea? icon_biggrin.gif) on out of there.

I did manage to take some beautiful shots of the sun setting over the San Francisco bay.

That alone was worth a huff and a puff.

I'll put on some shoes and try it proper in the morning.

Guest Choberiba

This is sort-of on topic...

I gave one of Chris's caches a try this evening. (No Escape)

Thinking myself clever, and wanting to prove his wife wrong, I attempted it wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Not worth it.

I would have made it, but I started too late in the day and the sun was setting as I arrived within 300 feet of the cache site.

It was about this time that I stumbled on a homeless person hiding under a blanket.

Between the setting sun, the difficult terrain (two stars - my keister), and the mysterious person of blanket... I decided to

take my sore backside (did I mention flip-flops were a bad idea? icon_biggrin.gif) on out of there.

I did manage to take some beautiful shots of the sun setting over the San Francisco bay.

That alone was worth a huff and a puff.

I'll put on some shoes and try it proper in the morning.

Guest larrycot98

We've spent almost a week dissecting Chris' marriage and the pros and cons of acceding to his wife's demands. Some of us (such as myself, above) support his decision to mollify his wife in the interest of marital harmony. Others, in an almost libertarian zeal demand Chris reject his wife, or at least seek counseling to help his screwed up marriage.

It's all B.S.

Chris did what millions of married guys do all the time: He sought commiseration for what he thought was his wife's almost comical request that he protect himself against lyme disese. Were this a alocker room, one of the married guys would have piped in with a more outrageous tale of marital woe. The truth is that 99% of us love our wives. We love our wives because they make irrational requests when it comes to our safety.

I strongly suggest that we all climb off Chris' back, and congratulate him for having a wife that cares whether or not a tick screws him up.

Larry

[This message has been edited by larrycot98 (edited 08 September 2001).]

Guest CACHED-AWAY

The western black-legged tick (lxodes pacificus) is the only tick of the 48 species occurring in California that is

known to transmit Lyme disease. The spirochete causing Lyme disease was first isolated from this tick in 1984.

Studies indicate that wood rats serve as the primary reservoir host, and together with another nonhumanbiting lxodes

tick, maintain the agent of Lyme disease in nature. Larval and nymphal ticks acquire spirochetes from the blood of

infected mammals as they feed, the other mammals (including humans). Approximately 24 to 72 hours of attachment

is necessary for transmission of the Lyme disease spirochete to occur. In California a low percentage of the ticks are

infected with the Lyme disease spirochete.

Guest CACHED-AWAY

Tick Avoidance

Personal

Tuck pants into boots or socks, and shirt into pants.

Wear lighted-colored clothing so ticks can easily be seen.

Apply insect repellent on pants, socks, and shoes. Use a repellent registered for use against ticks.

Avoid trail margins, brush, and grassy areas when in tick country.

Check yourself and your children frequently.

Environmental

Mow grass along trails, buildings, and camping areas.

Remove brush along trails or other areas of high human activity.

Area application of insecticides is not effective for tick control.

Removal of Attached Ticks

Prompt removal of ticks may prevent disease transmission.

1. If possible, have someone else remove tick from you.

2. Use tweezes or forceps rather than your fingers.

3. If you must touch the tick, use a tissue to protect your hand.

If ticks are crushed or squeezed while attachment exposure to body fluids may lead to transmission of Lyme

or other disease agents.

4. Grasp the tick's mouthparts as close to the skin if possible.

5. Gently pull the tick straight out, steadily and firmly. Do not twist for jerk the tick.

Tick mouthparts have harpoon-like barbs; they do not screw into the skin.

6. If mouthparts of the tick break off and remain on your skin, consult your physician.

7. Dispose of tick in alcohol or by flushing it down the toilet.

8. Wash hands and bite site with soap and water. Apply antiseptic to bite site.

9. Use same procedures and precautions with removing ticks from pets.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by CACHED-AWAY:

Approximately 24 to 72 hours of attachment is necessary for transmission of the Lyme disease spirochete to occur.

That's true. After your hike, take a shower and check for ticks. If you bathe once a day you don't really have anything to worry about.

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 09 September 2001).]

There's a simple solution: spend more time with your wife when you're NOT geocaching. She wants your attention.

Or, she may have "other plans" for you, which require that life insurance be increased very significantly beforhand!

Guest Chris Juricich

Oh, we spend plenty of time together-- usually weekends. But our interests coincide only in certain areas. We're both computer geeks-- she's writing a biography, I'm drawing comics. Both of us work a lot on the computer in the evening, and I-- due to the vagaries of my job, have lots of time during the day to get the job done as well as f--k off (firetruck)-- which often means either cleaning the house, yardwork, going to a movie, doing a geocache, etc. My poor wife (and many) are stuck in 9-5 jobs in a single building whereas I have all the joys and tribulations of being a salesman. In other words, loads of free time. My wife has come to learn this is true so I don't share a great deal of the cool aspect of this job. She could be jealous-- and it also allows me to take my son to school in the AM, oftimes pick him up in the evening... it's a great job.

But it gives me lots of freedom, it's good for our relationship, and it gives me at least a couple of nights a week of peace and quiet from family concerns. And I get to watch HBO or Showtime in the motel rooms (we don't get premium stuff at home)!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Juricich (edited 09 September 2001).]