Hi, I am new to geocaching!

quote:
how much is a "rough" estimate of how much making a geocache cost?

Welcome!!!

You really need to decide that for yourself and if I may suggest it, the way to do so is to find a few more and make a guess at it.....

However, for your guidance, some people will spend tens of dollars, some will spend just a few. It's not really the cost of the cache that matters, it's the value of it. Again, welcome to a great way to get out and around.....

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

It all depends. I've spent well over a hundred bucks on a cache that I've placed before. It was a multi with some creative stages that required certain hardware.

I usually stock my caches with great 'new' items and since I use ammo cans the price ranges ends up being around the 50 dollar mark.

You can make whatever you want of it. I'm hopping people will catch on around here with nice caches (money or not) and I think they have a little so its a great thing.

also, welcome

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

I like ammo cans. 5 bucks.

Camo paint - two colors. 5 bucks

Goodies. 5 to 20 bucks.

If you include a first finders goodie - another 10 bucks or so.

Log book. 1 buck

Pencil, sharpener, pen. 3 bucks

You can do it cheaper or a lot more expensive. As you find caches, take a look at them and see what you like and what you don't about the contents and the container. Get a few finds under your belt before you do a hide. Keeps you from regretting later on or going back and making changes.

Happy caching and good luck. And welcome to the sport.

Or go to walmart and buy a plastic waterproof match container for 88 cents and make it a micro. Make a log on a piece of paper and put in it along with a piece of pencil or pen...Or if you have an empty 35mm film cannister laying around...

I would say it's more of the challenge, view and getting there that makes it all worthwhile..

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I spend anywhere from around $2 for a log only micro (for container and waterproof paper), to as much as $40 for a .50 cal ammo box cache. Most often it costs me around $20 to place a cache, including ammo box ($4) and trade items.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I did a micro that cost next to nothing. I painted one of those AOL tins you get in the mail with paint from around the house (it was a perfect match for where I was hiding it), 50 cents for a note pad, half a pencil, $1 for a strong enough magnet superglued inside, and 25 cents and a half hour of woodburning for a first finder's wooden nickel. Despite the low cost, it's gotten great comments because of the location.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

One of my hides is a book cache, so I suppose there was initial cost for the books, but once they were read, they sat for years on a shelf. So other than the $8 for a large ammo box and log book set-up, it was free to me.

Make a sanity check.http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I thought that would be a good idea and wondered why I haven't seen anything like that. I'm not too fond of geojunk and a book is more likely to get my attention. I saw that another org was doing something similar - bookcrossing - which is also found in the links section at GC.com

I would agree with what's above. I bought some tupperware containers and then only put a notebook and pencils in it. I would rather log a find than take a prize.....other than a travel bug. Cache cost less than $5.

I have also bought ammo cans, cleaned them, painted them, and then bought prizes for them. Total cost for each completed can......maybe $15-20.

The Ammo cans look nice when done but I like to hide the smaller tupperware containers. I can get one of the tupperware caches prepared in a matter of minutes and it is easy to hide something smaller. The Ammo cans take me a couple of hours when you figure in cleaning and drying time for the paint.

The more you do caching I think you'll find that it is about the hunt and the location more than the container and the prizes.

Muskytooth

Hermits have no peer pressure.

quote:
One of my hides is a book cache, so I suppose there was initial cost for the books, but once they were read, they sat for years on a shelf. So other than the $8 for a large ammo box and log book set-up, it was free to me.

Good idea and an even better one if you register the books at www.bookcrossing.com. Then you can follow them like wheresgeorge bills.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm