Geocaching changes lives

TresOkies

I've commented in the past about how geocaching has had a positive impact on my life. Doing something with my family, getting exercise, seeing places I've never seen before, meeting interesting people, etc. Here's a new twist...

I was in graduate school in 1986. My wife and I met another couple there who were also in graduate school and we became good friends. They graduated and moved to California. We visited them once in 1988 and after that we lost touch. I looked on some of the internet directories in the last few years, but I never found them. Their name is too common so it was like finding a needle in a haystack.

Last week I was camping at a state park with my sisters and their families. We all went off in search of the caches in the park. We found one cache, a decon kit, but it hadn't been shut well and was damp inside. While my sister signed the log book, I cleaned out the container. The contents of the cache were pretty meager--two business cards and they were damp and mildewed. I stuck the cards in my pocket to throw away later.

When we got back to the camp, I looked at the business cards. One of them was a name of this friend. Granted, his name is a fairly common name but I decided to send an email to him, just in case.

Care to guess the ending?

It turns out that my friend was at the park earlier in the year with his sons' boy scout troop. He'd never been geocaching before and didn't realize he needed to bring something to trade. So, he stuck the only thing he had on him in the cache--his business card. We're now planning a reunion.

Once again, our hobby/game/sport/obsession proves that it's more than what it seems.

Cheers!

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631