Tell Us About...

Criminal

I tripped over a log once while my daughter and I were searching for a 5/3 geocache on a hillside (it was hidden in a fake rock, so the rating was accurate). A stick was poking straight up out of the log. I fell right onto it and the stick penetrated my leg like a pungee stick. Blood immediately spewed forth in generous quantities.

My daughter rushed up to me and what do you think she said? Was it "Are you alright?" Nope. She said "Does this mean we can't find the cache?"

After some bandaging and finding a hiking stick to prop me up, we found the fake rock 45 minutes later. icon_biggrin.gif Now, I get to show off the scar at event caches.

Criminal, this thread ROCKS. Don't you just LOVE talking about geocaching?????

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I was in Superior, AZ, looking for a cache that was a few miles in the middle of BFE.

I was stepping from one boulder to the next and my strong foot lost grip, sending me crashing 5-6' down between those boulders. Luckily, I just let myself fall, rather than trying to stop the fall, and came out with minor cuts/scrapes. Any effort to stop myself would have broken a wrist at the very least because of how I fell.

Brian

Team A.I.

[edit]I hope this doesn't get locked because it's OT. After all, the topic is about tripping and tree roots. ;p[/edit]

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I tripped over a log once while my daughter and I were searching for a 5/3 geocache on a hillside (it was hidden in a fake rock, so the rating was accurate). A stick was poking straight up out of the log. I fell right onto it and the stick penetrated my leg like a pungee stick. Blood immediately spewed forth in generous quantities.

My daughter rushed up to me and what do you think she said? Was it "Are you alright?" Nope. She said "Does this mean we can't find the cache?"

After some bandaging and finding a hiking stick to prop me up, we found the fake rock 45 minutes later. icon_biggrin.gif Now, I get to show off the scar at event caches.

Criminal, this thread ROCKS. Don't you just LOVE talking about geocaching?????

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

You are OFF TOPIC! This thread is about tripping over tree roots.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Criminal, I do appreciate your respectful moderation of your own forum thread. It is better for the community to be self-moderating. You sure took care of those off-topic Leprechauns!

Do you want me to delete the offending post about the boulders? This is pretty controversial stuff.

Any time you think that the thread is getting out of control, you just give me a shout and I'll close it for you, if your time limit has expired.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

Edit for Criminal's sake.

The last time I was out geocaching and tripped over a root, I got to thinking,

If it is in the brush, I have tripped over it at one time or another it seems.

I even know a person who tripped over a BlackTail shed and had to have stitches from the hole he had poked into his ankle by a tine.

But I have seen Red trip over a painted line on the sidewalk let alone a root.

But remember this; "Falling down does not count if you do not loose your hat". This was told to me a few moons back by an old time rigging slinger.

And the way the keystone Approver stepped in reminds me of a bunch of High School kids sitting behind a building talking when a teacher sneaks up, eerrr speaks up, that is what I wanted to say. Yea, speaks up that was what I meant, really it was.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

[This message was edited by logscaler on October 16, 2003 at 08:48 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

If it is in the brush, I have tripped over it at one time or another it seems.

I even know a person who tripped over a BlackTail shed and had to have stitches from the hole he had poked into his ankle by a tine.

But I have seen Red trip over a painted line on the sidewalk let alone a root.

But remember this; "Falling down does not count if you do not loose your hat". This was told to me a few moons back by an old time rigging slinger.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

You forgot to mention tree roots and geocaching.

This one is my worst

Find 5 of 7 for the day. Had to avoid the devils club getting to the cache. Had a 'fun' time getting down the hill afterwards. Seems that the bite valve on my hydration bladder had something stick to it when I logged my visit. On the way down the hill, I took a drink and ended up swallowing whatever was stuck on the bit valve. I was so preoccupied about what disgusting thing I may have swallowed, that I lost my footing and slid about half way down the hill. After I reached the bottom I headed back for the trail. I tripped over a branch as I entered the trail and made a nice lurching/falling motion as I come into the open....right in front of some poor gal who nearly maced my sorry face for scaring her half to death. I was able to explain and aplogize my way out of a pepper spray lunch. Needless to say this was a rather interesting cache. As they say, getting there is the true adventure.

If there is a moral to be learned from all this, it is the following- Always check your bite valve before taking a drink or you may get maced for your trouble.

Still worried about that thing I swallowed. Hope it was not anything really icky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

The Wife and I were looking for a Geocache on the side of a sea cliff. About the only way we could save ourselves from a long tumble and a swim in the Pacific was to hold onto tree roots and limbs where ever we could find them. At one point we seperated to look around for the cache. While Willow was looking intently in a bush I slipped on some gravel and slid on my posterior about 15 feet. No big deal, but that's my biggest Geocaching tumble so far.

Even though I'm a completely healthy and fit person Willow is always worried I'm gonna trip and kill myself. So I didn't tell her about my little trip until we signed the log and were back on firmer ground.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I was trying to do one of those "as many caches as possible" days and was running on some trails in a nature area. There were also bicycles out there so I was watching for them as I was running back to the car. I topped a hill and had just passed a couple on bikes when I hit a root. I did a diving belly flop and slide/skid. It was around November so there were lots of fresh leaves. My yellow eTrex was in the green cover that they sell. I had it in my hand and as I tried to keep from planting my face in the dirt I let go of the GPS. It probably took me three or four minutes before I found it in the leaves. That one cost me a pair of pants since I ripped the knee out and lost some skin too. I got up and started running back to the car again.

It gave "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" new meaning.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

I do have one that I'd forgotten about:

I did a cache with my parents a few weeks back. Just beside the trail on the way in, we passed an overturned, uprooted tree that had a gigantic "disk" of roots and soil still attached to it. My mother, who was in front of me, said "look at that," and immediately stumbled over a different root in the trail.

We proceeded to find two caches on the trail about 3/4 mile apart.

On the way out, I was in the lead. I rounded a corner and saw the overturned tree. I thought to myself, "there's the tree again... there was something about that tree..." *wham*

The same root got me.

quote:
Originally posted by OneOfEm:

I do have one that I'd forgotten about:

I did a cache with my parents a few weeks back. Just beside the trail on the way in, we passed an overturned, uprooted tree that had a gigantic "disk" of roots and soil still attached to it. My mother, who was in front of me, said "look at that," and immediately stumbled over a different root in the trail.

We proceeded to find two caches on the trail about 3/4 mile apart.

On the way out, I was in the lead. I rounded a corner and saw the overturned tree. I thought to myself, "there's the tree again... there was something about that tree..." *wham*

The same root got me.

Yep, yep, those gosh darn tree roots, they'll get you every time. Yep.

quote:
Good one. For the sake of this thread though, I hope you fell while geocaching.

I tripped over a tree root once. Then I fell. (EDIT) Then I hit my head on the ammo box cache (EDIT). Then I got back up. I was mad. Really mad. I said 'gosh darn dang shoot fiddle sticks!' Then I threw the ammo box. Then it hit someone else in the head. Then they tripped over a tree root. Then I ran away. The End. Sorry about the bad language.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Night caching. Three cachers. One flashlight. Mr. Flashlight left to follow a hunch. I tripped on some rocks and heard that ever so nice rock on ammo can sound. Hooah!

You forgot to mention the ROOT! Bad RK bad!

Night caching with Faile. Had to do some heavy duty bushwhacking through one section. That's when it happened. I tripped on a root, it must have been a root, it couldn't possibly have been any of the brush we were walking through.

But I knocked Faile over in the process and she kicked me.

hmmm, let's see, mentioned roots, geocaching, and tripping. I think I'm safe from a Criminal tongue lashing icon_cool.gif

EDIT: Woohoo, didn't even see that coming, but that was my 100th post icon_wink.gif

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

quote:
Originally posted by Ish-n-Isha:

If a geocacher trips in the woods and no one is around to see it, Did it really hurt??? Hummmm?

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella

I tripped over a tree root once. Then I fell. (EDIT) Then I hit my head on the ammo box cache (EDIT). Then I got back up. I was mad. Really mad. I said 'gosh darn dang shoot fiddle sticks!' Then I threw the ammo box. Then it hit someone else in the head. Then they tripped over a tree root. Then I ran away. The End. Sorry about the bad language.

Apparently J&MBella seems to think so. icon_wink.gif At least that's what I'm inferring here by the madness. Unless tripping over a tree root makes you mad, but doesn't really hurt. Hmmmmm. One of those really philosophical questions.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:
Originally posted by Ish-n-Isha:

If a geocacher trips in the woods and no one is around to see it, Did it really hurt??? Hummmm?

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella

Apparently J&MBella seems to think so. icon_wink.gif At least that's what I'm inferring here by the madness. Unless tripping over a tree root makes you mad, but doesn't really hurt. Hmmmmm. One of those really philosophical questions.

Webfoot

_Veni...Vidi...Vicachi._

I came...I saw...I geocached.

http://www.scgeocachers.org

You're off topic.

Well here's a "funny" story... I was Looking for my very first Cache... No GPS.. fortuniately on this one... i was searching around the bank of a river... blasted root came out of nowhere... i was walking at a brisk pace...so i lodged it in there good... I started teetering... but i couldn't pull my foot out of the root... So in the process i fell right over into the bank.. Head first.... Backpack...gear and all... I found the Cache later... but i was soaked all the way home... Good first cache eh?

--Alsid Prime--

GeoCaching for a goal.