ABC News

Guest Rocky

Guest Robereno

quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:

ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings will have geocaching story on Fri July 6th

I saw the promo for it last night. I have my recorder set up for tonight as I wont be home.

It looks good! Was that you Rocky?

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Must... not... flame... local... ABC... affiliate... (They don't do WNT. mad.gif )

...huh .... what'cha talkin' about thar Clayjar .... you lost me on that one ...

Guest Rocky

Robereno, no that was not me but George Stone, from Rochester, N.Y. He is a well known cacher in this area and even has his own web site. Looking forward to the national exposure, I'm sure George will be a great spokesman for all involved in our sport.

Guest Robereno

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

Please record and upload to geocaching.com so the rest of us can have a look ...

Actually, I use one of those new fangled Tivo devises so I?m not sure how to convert it for the computer. (Did I say I?m not sure? Should have said, ?I don?t have a clue.?

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

Please record and upload to geocaching.com so the rest of us can have a look ...

Peter, tomorrow (or Monday) check out ABCNEWS.COM. Its possible that they make it available on their website for web streaming video....possibly. An Example

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 06 July 2001).]

Guest Terraranger

Hey, I just caught the news. It was excellent. I watched it with my 8-yr old daughter and we were pleased to see you searching with your family, too. Good job to all the geocachers on the show.

Guest bunkerdave

In case anyone is wondering WHEN, I am watching it right now - well, it will be on within the Half hour here in Utah. Tape is running. I like the lead in about how it's a "family sport."

Guest cache_ninja

yeah..

not to mention people are going to think from the segment you take the whole cache with you when you find it.. but alas..

i suppose most people who are interested are computer savy enough to do a search and find geocaching.com, but it would've been nice if they mentioned it. i noticed...ahem...that Quinn chose to use _his_ url to get the coordinates. heh

Guest robamy

Great piece on Geocaching! I watched it with my wife (whom also like it) and my 11-month-old son (whom up until the Geocaching piece was making lots of noise, that?s my boy). I looked on the abcnews.com web page but could not find a link. Plus I think the only partial web pages they should on the TV was Buxley?s (http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/), maybe Navicache (http://www.navicache.com/) and of course the Planet of the Apes part of Geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/pota_details.asp?id=3831).

I thought they would have showed mostly the Geocaching.com (regular) page.

Anybody else see what web pages they may have showed?

Guest jeremy

I'll have to catch it elsewhere, since I don't think I get the show up here in the PNW.

I do use TVEyes though, and it actually picked up the news piece -

http://www.TVEyes.com/database/expand.asp?ln=3424390&Key=geocaching

Neat that they spelled it right in close captioning.

Obviously due to the interview of Quinn from Navicache.com there would be no mention of Geocaching.com - Hey, that's cool right? The geocaching.com site doesn't really have anything to do with the growth of the sport anyway.

Jeremy

Guest tslack2000

I liked the segment. I imagined my 3 month old daughter getting as excited about a cache as the little girl on the segment!

I for one am glad they didn't mention a web site. Because if they did, it probably would've have been Navicache (no offence) and I'm quite partial to Geocaching.com! In any event, it shed a good light on our new sport!

Guest cache_only

I hate to say I told you so...but remember a month or so ago when you were riding the crest of that geocaching copyright/gag order wave? Well it seems you got your wish. I just watched the segment and I don't believe they ever used the term "geocaching." They called it GPS treasure hunting--exactly as I warned you what would happen: no references to you or your website.

So you got your wish. ABC News did a national piece and you got jacked up.

As Nelson from the Simpsons would say, "Ha Ha!"

Rob

[This message has been edited by cache_only (edited 06 July 2001).]

Guest cache_ninja

i'm pretty sure they said "geocaching" when they introduced it no? and said they were looking for a "cache"..correct me anyone?

also, if this is a transcript http://consumer.tveyes.com/database/expand.asp?ln=3424390&key=geocaching well, its in there..so i dunno, maybe they were talking too fast for people from MI heh

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 06 July 2001).]

Guest rebobbitt

They showed Buxleys maps and Navicache.com, although you couldn't tell unless you knew

what they looked like.

Here are the word counts from the story:

4 - Cache

3 - Geocaching

2 - Treasure

1 - Geocachers

1 - Scavenger Hunt

1 - Treasure Hunt

Why should they mention any particular web site? They didn't mention the founders of it either. I'm glad they showed Buxley's maps.

[This message has been edited by rebobbitt (edited 06 July 2001).]

Guest Ron Streeter

Only those of us in the know (all geocachers) would tune in to the fine points such as Buxley's maps or Navicache.com on the TV screen (3 second bursts!).

The main thing here is (I think) that the activity got a boost and yes, the terms geocaching and cache got prominent play.

This will probably have the same kind of impact the CNN feature did last February....good for the caching community.

Ron

24H/26F/1C/4S/3X

Guest Artful Dodger

It was a good segment. I thought it was well presented as a good family activity. Cute little daughter of Quinn's icon_smile.gif

I suggest you check the video archive on Monday as they usually put the World News Tonight segments 24 hours later.

Guest Artful Dodger

It was a good segment. I thought it was well presented as a good family activity. Cute little daughter of Quinn's icon_smile.gif

I suggest you check the video archive on Monday as they usually put the World News Tonight segments 24 hours later.

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

Thanks for the comp dodger...she is a great kid! she's my caching metal detector. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

Thanks for the comp dodger...she is a great kid! she's my caching metal detector. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest zilla

Just couldn't resist a reply.. Years ago 60 minutes came to our town and did a story.. [Rock Springs, Wyo] We were supposed to be one of the baddest towns to live in at the time, around 1972.. There was a huge furor around here after the show aired. Seems the news editors did a LOT of editing and taking things OUT of context.. The Mayor and a few others didn't look so good, and yes a lot of things they said and did were left out, conveniently. So , remember, who put the show on Geocaching on the air and their agenda..

just my $.02 worth

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Quinnow:

Actually if you knew about news editing you would be better not to assume...

You're right Quinnow. I apologize. I did indicate I hadn't seen the piece, and based on previous discussions with reporters, much can be lost in the translation.

To be honest, the reason for my negativity against your web site (and as an unfortunate result, you), is my first impression of you as a carpetbagger. I remember the constant postings of your web site which was ad ridden and at the time I assumed you wanted to take advantage of the sport and attempt to "ride the coattails" (so to speak) on the popularity of the game.

As someone who abhors advertisement-ridden sites, I had a jerk reaction to your site. Although still heavily laden with advertising (Navishopper?), I have noticed your web page has been toned down a bit, and it's getting some smoother edges. I commend you on your work.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 06 July 2001).]

Guest Excession

It was a nice piece that presented geocaching in a very positive light. Can we not bicker? Quinnow is absolutely right about news editing -- it's exactly the reason that we refused to even consider doing it. I've been misquoted enough and made to explain myself many times -- I've been nearly physically attacked by a parent who believed nonsense in the paper about his son (a shot put star -- and I was only the assistant coach). We can all see things that we believe ABC could have done better, but I believe that we must also see the generally positive things about the piece. For instance, a nice article in the Newark Star-Ledger has really contributed to many new geocachers by me -- so this one might really help promote the sport (although one can nit-pick on some details in that article too). One last point: let's not have this piece become the way to restart the sniping of the past and rekindle old news.

Sorry for the preaching. My 2 cents.

Guest jeremy

Heh. There was one article where I was misquoted and ended up demeaning mountain bikers. I got a lot of hate email from that one (It was in Colorado. Never talk negative about mountain biking there).

I also have a dry humor so I have to be careful cracking jokes to a reporter. One time I was joking and saying that geeks and gun toting libertarians can play this game side by side. It's amazing what someone can do to that comment.

I just saw the piece and it was very well done (and you do have a cute daughter, Quinnow.)

Jeremy

Guest Quinnow

iving away a Etrex that was Given to me by Kim of advancedgps.com , I could have kept it or raffled it off. But I love the sport and I like the people who I meet as a result of it, thus I wanted to give it to someone who liked Geocaching as much as I, thus the drawing tab on my site.

Navitee's... you must know the HUGE profit in the tee-shirt business, and also seeing as I do not buy them bulk but just sell them so people can have a geocaching Item with a logo. I make .50 on each shirt. this should get me a vette in no time icon_smile.gif

This is a hobby to me and nothing more. I geocache every free moment I get ( and some moments I shouldn't while working ) I have always spoken my mind about geocaching.com and Jeremy Irish as well, Geocaching.com I have always thought to be a great site (wouldn't come here as often if I didn't) Jeremy however I didn't like much due to what I would have considered to be outcasting anyone who had a opinion of their own. Did I assume this?... maybe, was I wrong?... Maybe. But I am willing to dump this all in the past and go from here. I have had so many contacts about doing news stories (local and not so local)and each time I do one I always place mention of Geocaching.com and the great site that it is. heck!...I have a full tape of other news clips I did based on this. You even have a newspaper link from a story I did here doing nothing but praising your site. So, I wish to drop this junk talk and maybe start playing the game more as well as help the new kids. If there is something of bother please feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to work it out. right now I have much to do as far as working out bugs on my site and move towards a face lift for it as well. Jeremy I thank you for your comments and wish you all the best. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

iving away a Etrex that was Given to me by Kim of advancedgps.com , I could have kept it or raffled it off. But I love the sport and I like the people who I meet as a result of it, thus I wanted to give it to someone who liked Geocaching as much as I, thus the drawing tab on my site.

Navitee's... you must know the HUGE profit in the tee-shirt business, and also seeing as I do not buy them bulk but just sell them so people can have a geocaching Item with a logo. I make .50 on each shirt. this should get me a vette in no time icon_smile.gif

This is a hobby to me and nothing more. I geocache every free moment I get ( and some moments I shouldn't while working ) I have always spoken my mind about geocaching.com and Jeremy Irish as well, Geocaching.com I have always thought to be a great site (wouldn't come here as often if I didn't) Jeremy however I didn't like much due to what I would have considered to be outcasting anyone who had a opinion of their own. Did I assume this?... maybe, was I wrong?... Maybe. But I am willing to dump this all in the past and go from here. I have had so many contacts about doing news stories (local and not so local)and each time I do one I always place mention of Geocaching.com and the great site that it is. heck!...I have a full tape of other news clips I did based on this. You even have a newspaper link from a story I did here doing nothing but praising your site. So, I wish to drop this junk talk and maybe start playing the game more as well as help the new kids. If there is something of bother please feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to work it out. right now I have much to do as far as working out bugs on my site and move towards a face lift for it as well. Jeremy I thank you for your comments and wish you all the best. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest cache_only

quote:
Originally posted by zilla:

..Years ago 60 minutes came to our town and did a story...Seems the news editors did a LOT of editing and taking things OUT of context...

Yes. I agree. I have undergone many classes in the military related to giving press interviews. They can really get you while you're down. The slightest fumble for words, an "uh-huh" here and a "ya know" there. That's all it takes. A bad quote will turn you into a rube in a minute.

I was interviewed recently by a major Detroit paper for a geocaching article. Luckily I remembered all the stuff I learned from the military classes. At one point I came up with a goofy response to one of his questions and I heard him repeating it back to me quietly. I could tell he was typing it as a direct quote. I said, "Whoa! Do not use that as a quote. Paraphrase that answer. As a matter of fact, do not quote me at all in the article. Paraphrase all my answers to your questions." He did. You see, when the columnist has to write without having the luxury to make a rube out of somebody, his grammar and syntax will be polished. It makes the person being interviewed look better, too.

Journalists are bound by a fairly strict honor code. If you tell them you want to see the article before it goes to print so you can revise quotes, they generally will. If they will not allow you to alter quotes, you can refuse the story to be printed if they agreed to that before the interview. You have to make the demands up front. If they agree to them they have to honor them.

The problem with people being interviewed is old-fashioned trust and naivete. Who would think a reported was out to make them look like a fool? They sure will. And they won't think anything of it at all. It's sickening.

[This message has been edited by cache_only (edited 06 July 2001).]

Guest jeremy

Here's good paraphrasing.. This was a sidebar in National Geographic Adventures magazine for July/August '01. I don't speak this well. It was compiled after a 30-40 minute chat on the phone.

Q. Is geocaching a sport or just a geeky hobby?

A: It depends on what your definition of "sport" is. Take rock climbing - you're really not competing with anybody but yourself. And that's kind of how geocaching is: You create your own challenges. We just had a cache hidden in the Red Sea in an old sunken tugboat that you have to use scuba gear to find. There's another one hidden near the Pyramids. There's a cache in New York City beneath the piers of the Hudson River Park - You have to use a canoe or kayak. But you also might have a cache that's right off the road, because there are lazy people who play the game, too. Geocaching motivated me to get off my butt; it was the perfect opportunity to go out and hike. It used to be very tech-geek-oriented; now it's just people who need an excuse to go outdoors.

Sometimes you open up a cache and there's a balloon in there, or maybe a Pez dispenser. There could be a nun that winds up and breathes fire or little punching dolls that look like aliens. There's a Mr. Potato Head that's gone from cache to cache. What's the facination of finding these things? It's the thrill of the hunt. People are planning vacations around geocaching. It's a good way to see the world.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by cache_only:

I hate to say I told you so...but remember a month or so ago when you were riding the crest of that geocaching copyright/gag order wave? Well it seems you got your wish. I just watched the segment and I don't believe they ever used the term "geocaching." They called it GPS treasure hunting--exactly as I warned you what would happen: no references to you or your website.

So you got your wish. ABC News did a national piece and you got jacked up.

As Nelson from the Simpsons would say, "Ha Ha!"

Rob

I can't understand why you are so antagonistic. Give Jeremy a break.

I guess the only thing that tops your being right all the time is your modesty.

Guest Quinnow

ttp://www.navicache.com/abcnews/page1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.navicache.com/abcnews/page1.html

I realize it's my page, but having people go there from here is not my goal, just wanted to show you the crew, thats all. Besides...My daughter Morgan is now wearing sun glasses and has a pad and pen she walks with for signing autographs! icon_wink.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

ttp://www.navicache.com/abcnews/page1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.navicache.com/abcnews/page1.html

I realize it's my page, but having people go there from here is not my goal, just wanted to show you the crew, thats all. Besides...My daughter Morgan is now wearing sun glasses and has a pad and pen she walks with for signing autographs! icon_wink.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Ttepee

Yes a great way to see the world. My eyes are opened and reopened (man I haven't been to some of these places since I was a kid) I've always loved hiking but the older I get the bigger a kick in the butt it has taken to get me out there... now I'm leading the pack and loving every minute of it. I'm certainly gonna shoot for giving back to the sport what it's given me icon_smile.gif

Guest Ttepee

Yes a great way to see the world. My eyes are opened and reopened (man I haven't been to some of these places since I was a kid) I've always loved hiking but the older I get the bigger a kick in the butt it has taken to get me out there... now I'm leading the pack and loving every minute of it. I'm certainly gonna shoot for giving back to the sport what it's given me icon_smile.gif

Guest cache_ninja

i have been

1.misquoted

2.had a reporter assemble many seperate things i said over the course of 5hrs into several "coherent" assertions that i never made. or at least they took everythign out of context.

3.had a reporter blatantly make up things i said...

its to be expected i suppose, but its always better when noone _really_ knows who you are..

c/n

Guest Quinnow

Well you must'a seen this coming...but I ,ehumm, have a copy! icon_smile.gif but I am looking to have it placed on cd so I can send it to Jeremy for maybe adding to the site. Keep checking in the abc.com site and it should pop in there...I hope! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

Well you must'a seen this coming...but I ,ehumm, have a copy! icon_smile.gif but I am looking to have it placed on cd so I can send it to Jeremy for maybe adding to the site. Keep checking in the abc.com site and it should pop in there...I hope! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest jeremy

quote:

Well you must'a seen this coming...but I ,ehumm, have a copy! icon_smile.gif

Cool! Did they give rights to post it?

I was able to TiVo it. I sure wish I could copy directly from TiVo to disk though.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

quote:

Well you must'a seen this coming...but I ,ehumm, have a copy! icon_smile.gif

Cool! Did they give rights to post it?

I was able to TiVo it. I sure wish I could copy directly from TiVo to disk though.

Jeremy

Guest Quinnow

hmmm...I have to try and remember how that works. A reporter once told me that anything placed for public view is public domain. But I think I am saying this wrong. But I'll do one better and talk to Dan and get official permission for use on the website. This way all bases are covered and everyone will be happy icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

hmmm...I have to try and remember how that works. A reporter once told me that anything placed for public view is public domain. But I think I am saying this wrong. But I'll do one better and talk to Dan and get official permission for use on the website. This way all bases are covered and everyone will be happy icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest ttaylor181

I just went to the ABCNew.com site to look for the report. I didn't find the report, but I did see the article about the Connecticut man who was charged by ACME Car Rental for speeding. The article states that the company was able to track the car's location and speed via GPS. This is totally wrong!!! The company was only able to track the vehicle's movements because it was equipped with OnStar, NOT GPS.

Several of my friends have seen this error in other places, and now thing that they can be tracked if using a GPS unit.

Guest mfratto

Quinn, news items are all copy righted material and can't be freely used. There is something called "Fair Use" which allows the use of copyrighted material for research, education, and non-monetary uses as long as the source is sited. However, many of these rules don't apply to the Internet because the lawyers will claim these laws were applied *everything* else except the Internet. Doesn't make sense but that is the way it works.

I would imagine posting the video violates ABC's copyright (even if you site it) and they may/can ask you to remove it.

If you get permission, get it in writing via paper or fax.

mike