What has Geocaching done for YOU?

Again, forgive me if this has beed done before. I posted these 2 topics (cost/benefits) on texasgeocaching.com, but I would like a wider view.

I figured that I should follow up my last topic on the costs by one on the benifits of geocaching:

#1 It got me off the couch and out into the world.

#2 So far I've lost just over 20 pounds. (My goal is to be the Jared of Geocaching)

#3 I have met some of the truely greatest people that I have ever met anywhere! You guys/gals are awesome people. I haven't met a cacher in person that I didn't like, or that tweaked my spider sense.

#4 I actually like living in Houston now. I would just hibernate between 6 week long vacations in places that I can't afford to live. Cachin has taken me to places that I had no idea existed.

#5 I can count the number of times that I have turned on my TV on both hands and without taking off more than one shoe. (Not too good at cipherin. HaHa)

I'm sure I can add more later. What has it done for you?

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Not much per se.

I refer you to my reply to your other post. Same idea applies.

I hasn't cost me a dime. Not that I haven't spent money, but I'd have spent the money on the gear/gas/whatever even without geocaching as I have additional uses.

In fact, I had a GPSr long before I ever knew what geocaching was.

EDIT: I take that back. I do spend more time online now. icon_biggrin.gif

SECOND EDIT: Added "per se" above, but I get the feeling it's too late. icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by GeneralBracket on May 06, 2003 at 02:48 PM.]

For me the main thing is getting me out there more often. I have always loved hiking, once im on the trail but it hard for me sometimes to get motivated to get out there. Geocaching gives me that little boost.

It has also given me a chance to get much better with learning how to do navigation etc. It is one thing to be able to follow a trail in a park and being able to navgaite thorugh some more "natual" area, where youreally do have to use maps etc. Nad given me the expierence toknow what hiking thorugh a wide variety of terrain that i normally would hvae avoided (mostly swamps and the like). Finally it gives me something to do when im camping and get those long sometimes boring SAturday afternoons.

quote:
Originally posted by GeneralBracket:

Not much.

I refer you to my reply to your other post. Same idea applies.

_

I hasn't cost me a dime. Not that I haven't spent money, but I'd have spent the money on the gear/gas/whatever even without geocaching as I have additional uses.

In fact, I had a GPSr long before I ever knew what geocaching was.

_

EDIT: I take that back. I do spend more time online now. icon_biggrin.gif

Wow! 5 finds! Cache on!

I only have about one thing to add....It's caused me to buy things that I probably wouldn't have purchased before just for the container.

example

The other day I spent $1.99 on a little tin of mint just for the container (not Altoids, it's a much smaller tin and it's the store brand)...where as before I would have just bought whatever was cheapest if I wanted mints. I also bought some toddler "sippy cups" because they were on sale and I wanted to see if I could make them work. Seems like they should seal very well with some silicon to close up the "spout"....I don't have kids and don't have any on the way even.

Oh yeah I guess I have another one to add. Geocaching has gotten me interested in camo techniques. I become very interested in how to hide things in plain sight, more or less. I've got several things I'm working on right now all over the garage....but I just haven't had the time to get the containers placed, as I'm still researching good locations.

I haven't lost any weight, mainly because I don't really get out there enough....but I agree with everyone, meeting new people has been great, and finding new places that I never knew existed is fun as well.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Well I already had a GPSr. However I didn't really use it for much more than hunting. Not more than a couple of times a year. GC opened a whole new use for the device. It also warranted upgrading to a much better device. WooHoo

I did a lot of hiking and biking before GC, well ok some hiking and biking. GC showed me so many new places. I'm now a source of recreation info for all my geo-muggle friends.

GC certainly brings a new way at looking at parks and land use.

The way I navigated before GC was by landmark and flat map. Now I enjoy visualizing the landscape in 3D TOPO.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

I like leatherman had a gpsr for years that I just used for hunting which was about 2 months out of a year. Since GC came along I am better at using my gpsr and again like leatherman I had a excuse to upgrade more expensive one. GC also has taken me to places in my state that I would never have seen before and got me in better shape for backpacking and hunting.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

I now know where every local park is within a 50-mile radius of my home.

I'm now on a first-name basis with the clerks at several 99-cent stores and the local Army-Navy store.

I now plan vacation routes based on where the best caches are located.

I get a whole lot more email that I actually want to read than I ever did before.

I've put a whole lot of milage on my truck.

I've had a blast.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

I initially started because I heard of this on something like the discovery channel a few years back.

Some kid was walking the camera man out to a container in the woods.

My wife started hiking recently and I knew a GPS would be of great use to her on hikes. She uses it to tell how high, far and long she has walked. It is a great tool!

OK so I got it because I thought it was cool and I had a good excuse (wife hiking). What has it done for me?

kept me straight once and a while

got me off road once in a while

gets me made fun of once in a while

But its fun. I dont consider it much excercise, but I hiked anyway. It is a fun and interesting sport.

I'm in better shape, have stopped worrying about my lawn, and have more interest in history and puzzles that I did before.

Geocaching has allowed me to explore all sorts of worlds (real & internet) and learn all sorts of stuff (DOOT and SockPuppets). Something new in these places every day!

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

The Good:

Gotten me out in the fresh air.

Exposed me to places I never would've thought of going to

Made new friends

Helps me find weird stuff more easily

GPS with maps = fewer u-turns

The Bad:

Spent money on trinkets & ammo containers (plus the GPS of course)

Takes time away from family and other things that probably should be a higher priority

getting cut up by thornbushes

fresh air doesn't help when huffing & puffing because overexerted myself trying something with a terrain difficulty better suited to someone else (any one else)

The Ugly:

icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

alt.gif

quote:

quote:
Wow! 5 finds! Cache on!

I have quite a bit of other things I have to do.

Why do you have to be like that?

I'm sorry General B. I certainly meant no offense. I had planned to write more, but the nice lady at the Volkswagen dealership handed me my keys and a bill for $826 for my latest caching mishap. You will understand the costs when you have time to improve your stats. I wouldn't change a thing. I just made it past newbie status last weekend as set by my caching contemperaries here in Hou. Tx. When I saw your post, I was curious of the experience from which you spoke on both of the topics that I started today. Sincerely General... Cache on! May the caching gods grant you more time and if they do, put in a good word for me.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

quote:
I'm sorry General B. I certainly meant no offense. I had planned to write more, but the nice lady at the Volkswagen dealership handed me my keys and a bill for $826 for my latest caching mishap. You will understand the costs when you have time to improve your stats. I wouldn't change a thing. I just made it past newbie status last weekend as set by my caching contemperaries here in Hou. Tx. When I saw your post, I was curious of the experience from which you spoke on both of the topics that I started today. Sincerely General... Cache on! May the caching gods grant you more time and if they do, put in a good word for me.

No sweat. Wasn't sure if you were taking a jab at me or not. No biggie. icon_wink.gif

Funny you mention time to improve my stats. I recently happened upon a bunch of free time and plan to use it next week to go crazy geocaching.

quote:

Funny you mention time to improve my stats. I recently happened upon a bunch of free time and plan to use it next week to go crazy geocaching.

See the caching gods have already smiled upon you. icon_wink.gif Man, I've got PULL!!!! Now you ask on my behalf. Really, that's how it works....HONEST!

Missed 2 days of work this week with a really nasty case of PI. My nurse had to take my BP twice, because it didn't match her chart. Just a few months ago the Doc threatened to put me on BP meds and now it's on the high end of normal! icon_smile.gif The only thing that has changed in my routine is geocaching. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Missed 2 days of work this week with a really nasty case of PI. My nurse had to take my BP twice, because it didn't match her chart. Just a few months ago the Doc threatened to put me on BP meds and now it's on the high end of normal! icon_smile.gif The only thing that has changed in my routine is geocaching. icon_biggrin.gif

And now doctors are saying that anyone with a pulse not diagnosed with hypertension may be in the pool of those with 'prehypertension'. Sometimes the medical community astounds me with these diagnoses. Next I'll be told that if I breathe long enough, I'll die.

Brian

Team A.I.

The Positive

Made me not sit on the couch.

Made me venture to new areas.

Made my friends wonder even more about me.

Got me some exercise.

The Negitive.

I spend alot more in gas.

I twisted my ankle.

It got me lost a few times.

Makes me spend more $$$ at the dollar store.

Turned me into more of a nerd for techy stuff

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

The best thing for me so far is spending good, quality time outside with my family. We have a 5 year old daughter who LOVES the "treasure hunts" and whines when it rains now. Granted, we have only gone out 3 times so far.

Personally, it has gotten me off the couch and walking. Exercise is the best, and I am loving it. Too early to tell of any lasting benefits yet.

---

Brad Buskey

N38:17.281, W85:32.998

deckyon@NOSPAM.msn.com

Magellan Meridian Platinum

What Geocaching has done for us? Well, let's see...we're doing things together outside of the house, instead of doing things apart inside of it! We've definitely found a common interest after over 20 years of marriage! That's the main thing! hehe Other than that..well, we're getting great exercise...it's a wonderful topic to tell others about, and we've made a couple converts in just a short time!...now, when we go to Wally World or some dollar store, it's an adventure instead of a chore!...We are, at the moment, trying to figure out how to hide our best cache yet, as in ways to camouflage our new container, where to hide it, etc... Will the hobbies that branch out from it never cease??? As you can see, Geocaching has DEFINITELY been a huge PLUS for this duo! Happy Hunting! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Vacman:

Hmm - I am in better shape.... but I also have put a lot more miles on my car....

--------------------------------------------------

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

I'm quickly approaching 40lbs lost. Caching is still the only change in my routine.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

When I started (4 short months ago) I knew very little about computers. Now, after participating in the forums, I can resize and post a photo, send links and navigate a website easily.

I was always very active in outdoor activities and stealthy games. I guess it's the technical aspects of geocaching, coupled with the outdoor activities that has me intrigued.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Plus:

I've lost 40 pounds

I spend more time with my sons out of the house.

I can see muscles in my legs that I didn't know existed.

My blood sugar is down about 30 points.

I've been to places that I never knew existed though I've lived around here for 40 years.

The regional parks around here keep tacking parcel taxes on to my property tax bill without a vote. I used to be very angry about that. Now that I actually use these parks, I'm a little less angry.

Minus:

I found out that I'm allergic to poison oak.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

quote:
Originally posted by Bluehook:

Made me realize 2 things:

1) how many losers out there really needed to get a hobby.

2) how many losers in here really need to get a life.

I sense profound intelligence from this one. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lol.. You keep speaking truth like that and the forum meeenies will eat you for lunch. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

It has given me something else to look foreword to and increased my ability to set and achieve personal goals.

Down 43 pounds. (Double that and I'll be talkin to the Chic-Fil-A people and Jeremy about a commercial deal. icon_wink.gif)

Snoogans aka Jared of Geocaching big_smile.gif

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

Well just like everyone else said, it got me out and about. It's brought me some of the greatest places I never knew exsisted until I started to cache. Plus it was something I was able to share with some of my very good friends as well.

Mickey225...converting people to geocaching one GPS at a time!

I go with #1, #2, and #3 for me.

As for my wife and daughter, it has made them become more observant of their surroundings.

Until geocaching, I would be amazed at what they could overlook. I spent over a dozen years as a trained observer, so maybe that is why they seemed unobservant.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif