Regional Organization

Guest Prime_Meridian

Guest Prime_Meridian

Whereas it might be difficult to create a nationwide sanctioning body, geocaching might be well served by the formation of regional groups or clubs. While these clubs wouldn't be legislative bodies for geocaching, it would allow for a serious and focused attempt to work with local park and recreation officials to encourage and promote geocaching.

Clubs could host "newbie field days" where seasoned veterans take rookies along on a few hunts... There could be seminars on appropriate cache placement... and lastly, but most importantly, geocaching clubs would instill a sense of legitimacy when dealing with conservation officials. (united we stand divided we fall)

I do think it's important to realize that a nationwide sanctioning body is pretty much overkill. When tournaments start being held, then rules and regulations would be needed, but for right now, geocaching is in the formative "pickup" stage of the game... just like a pickup game of basketball, people play with a common idea of how the game is played, but often using "house" rules...

I'd like to conclude with 2 points...

1. We need to work TOGETHER to make this really something...

2. GEOCACHE LOCALS RULE!!! (HUH!)

p.s. Is anyone tallying how many people are playing in particular localities or regions?

I'm from just outside St. Louis, MO. I'd be fun to meet some of the other locals...