Pay-to-Play sites

Guest bunkerdave

Guest bunkerdave

I got a flyer from a guy at a Military surplus store for a pay to play site. I guess the way it works is you pay 10-50 bucks, and they give you the info for the cache hunt. Anyone ever tried any of these? I rather doubt I would have much interest, this sport is as much for the leisure as for the challenge, for me, but I thought there might be some interesting discussion to be had here on this subject. The website is:

www.1artattic.com

In case anyone is curious. Sounds a lot like gambling to me.

Guest Ron Streeter

I just went to the site posted above. Here is the actual web address so you don't need to filter your way down through the first address given.

http://www.1artattic.com/x-treasurehome.htm

Looks like someone is finding a way to generate a buck from the sport. As you follow through the site's page links, you'll see "free" hunts you can go on, and ones you pay an entry fee for.

The latest one they are promoting has been "cancelled" for the time being.

I checked out (on the site) one of their free hunts. It is 550 miles from my home in California. Looks to be in Utah. Check this web site out. I'm sure it will generate some controversy on a number of issues.

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 22 May 2001).]

Guest jeremy

I don't think that there's yet a large enough following to do regional GPS adventure games except in some rare cases (like California perhaps).

To each his or her own, I wager. There have been clubs doing this for some time, just not with GPS units. Check this one out -

http://www.treasureclub.net

More puzzle (letterbox) type games, less seek and conquer missions.

In my personal opinion Geocaching is more of a leisure activity than a competition. That certainly doesn't mean there can be competitive style caches, but it lends itself to a new category.

Jeremy

Guest cleenjeep

I wasnt really impressed with the website, and it wouldnt inspire me to spend $10-$50 dollars hunting for their cache. On the other hand, maybe I can stash one that takes several days to locate... an offset with so many different locations it would take at least two days of hunting/hiking to locate, camping along the way. Sounds fun to me... But only if it is free. I am such a cheapskate.

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

The pay per hunt site DOES make one further appreciate the totally clean and efficient look and feel of geocaching.com.

It is interesting that the best/most professional looking site on the web is the FREE one, isn't it? Quite obviously, it's one of the reasons this site and those who present it are so good for the sport.

Guest Moss Trooper

Well Play an Pay to me is stashin a cache in a place where you have to pay to enter..

Near where I live we have an Anglo Saxon Farm.. you have to pay to get in..

Have been thinking of getting permission to set a cache in there. This means yer gotta pay money to get in to find the cache.. but also means you are guided to a place of education.. Pay to Play.. icon_smile.gif

Guest Moss Trooper

Well Play an Pay to me is stashin a cache in a place where you have to pay to enter..

Near where I live we have an Anglo Saxon Farm.. you have to pay to get in..

Have been thinking of getting permission to set a cache in there. This means yer gotta pay money to get in to find the cache.. but also means you are guided to a place of education.. Pay to Play.. icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

Regarding cleanjeep's post...

I recently place a Dodeca (12) waypoint multi-cache in a local Nature Park. While no camping is required, I did run into a few cachers in the park recently who told me they were on their 2nd day of searching for the cache as it takes many miles of hiking to reach the various waypoints to gather the necessary clues to find the cache. Both said it was an excellent hunt and much more fun than the typical single coordinate cache hunt. I think the next step would be something along the lines you mentioned which would require an overnight stay.

Guest bunkerdave

This is mainly for my friends in Utah, but I'll post it here because I get more feedback:

Would there be enough interest in a overnight hunt/backpacking type of cache for me to go to the trouble. I had in mind something in the Uintas, since there is lots of great backpacking and not much else (civilization-wise). It would probably be set up in such a way that the caches would essentially lead you through a route. I guess the seekers would need to know how long to prepare for, how many miles (roughly) and what sort of terrain they are in for. Kind of like having someone else plan your backpacking trip. There are lots of trails in both the Uintas and on the back side of the Wasatch that would afford a quality experience while allowing a group to get out and back in two days or less.

Guest Dascgo

<>

I have been thinking how cool it would be to string along a cache to cache trail covering the entire Appalachian Trail. If only I could afford to take off work for a few months, but perhaps teamwork could set up something like that.

Daniel

Guest IronHelix

Personally I think the X-treasure thing is an interesting idea, but done wrong, and probably not feasible.

And it has that 'geocities-ish' look.

quote:
It is interesting that the best/most professional looking site on the web is the FREE one, isn't it? Quite obviously, it's one of the reasons this site and those who present it are so good for the sport.
Guest jagfan

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Would there be enough interest in a overnight hunt/backpacking type of cache for me to go to the trouble. I had in mind something in the Uintas, since there is lots of great backpacking and not much else (civilization-wise).

It is something I've actually considered and if you are serious about it, I would like to get more info.

WJJagFan: I am reply with an unregistered username because for some reason the forum won't recognize my registered name.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by jagfan:

WJJagFan: I am reply with an unregistered username because for some reason the forum won't recognize my registered name.

The registration in the forums is different than the Geocaching.com web site. You'll need to register here too to be registered in the forums.

Jeremy

Guest jagfan

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

The registration in the forums is different than the Geocaching.com web site. You'll need to register here too to be registered in the forums.

Jeremy

Please see my post of June 1, 2001 @ 9:03 am in the 'Pin Link Map Disappeared! Part 2' thread. I WAS registered to post in the forums.

WJJagFan icon_biggrin.gif

Guest jagfan

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Jeremy

Please see my post of June 1, 2001 @ 9:03 am in the 'Pin Link Map Disappeared! Part 2' thread. I WAS registered to post in the forums.

WJJagFan icon_biggrin.gif