How long should a cache be kept on location?

Guest geogirl

Guest geogirl

I was wondering if anyone knows how long a cache should be kept on location. I'm sure there are no rules on this yet. Let me know if you have given any thoughts on this topic.

Guest cleenjeep

This is a good question! I placed six caches early this month, and so far nobody has visited them but me! I may not have the best areas, like mountains in the rockies, or killer vistas looking down on sandy beaches, as my hamstring injury keeps me from doing any heavy duty hiking right now. I don't think that is the problem though.

There isn't many geocachers in my area, so that probably has more to do with the low (no) finds. Have you placed some and nobody has visited as well?

I was thinking that if nobody visits them within the next two months then I will remove them, and forget about the whole thing, sell all that stuff I put in them at my yard sale, and not place any more. It's not fun if nobody finds them! Then again, maybe I should just leave them there forever. Some of them will eventually be bulldozed for new housing developments inevitably. Maybe I can count that as a find? ha ha ha

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is url=http://www.modempool.com/cleenjeep]Cleenjeep's Site[/url]

Guest bacpac

I think it is reasonable and responsible for a person to check his caches twice a year. I monitor mine via the watching feature on this site so if someone is having trouble locating it I will go insure it still exists.

Other circumstances like heavy traffic problems would inspire me to remove a cache and request it be removed from the website.

Who am I kidding? The minute I realize someone has been to one of my caches I will race over to check it out. I am still a newbie, LOL

Guest Kurt in MI

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

This is a good question! I placed six caches early this month, and so far nobody has visited them but me!

I'm planning on heading out to hunt your caches one weekend. They're only about 45 minutes away from me. I was thrilled when I noticed they were posted and they're so close.

I don't have them in my watch list yet cuz I'm watching about 10 other caches and we're limited to 10 caches in our watch lists.

Once I get my motorcycle insured and tagged, I'll make plans to head to Grand Ledge. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Best regards,

Kurt in MI

Track your US currency's travels too at Where's George?! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kurt in MI (edited 18 April 2001).]

Guest Kurt in MI

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

This is a good question! I placed six caches early this month, and so far nobody has visited them but me!

I'm planning on heading out to hunt your caches one weekend. They're only about 45 minutes away from me. I was thrilled when I noticed they were posted and they're so close.

I don't have them in my watch list yet cuz I'm watching about 10 other caches and we're limited to 10 caches in our watch lists.

Once I get my motorcycle insured and tagged, I'll make plans to head to Grand Ledge. icon_smile.gif

------------------

Best regards,

Kurt in MI

Track your US currency's travels too at Where's George?! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kurt in MI (edited 18 April 2001).]

Guest makaio

bacpac:

It's not necessary to keep your own caches on your watch list since cache owners get email notification anytime anyone logs a visit (successful or not) to their cache anyway.

This will free up some spots for you to watch other caches if you desire.

Guest bearboyy

Hey cleenjeep,I will be out looking for your stashes soon.Maybee in the next couple weeks.Hold tight and dont you move them.I just got into this stuff a couple days a go.We dont have that many geocaching people in our state right now.We need to help spread the word.