Geocachers and the scrapbookers who love them

This may sound bizarre, but I've met a lot of cachers who, like myself, are married to avid scrapbookers. I'm wondering if this really as common as my experience shows. Are cachers attracted to scrappers, and if so, why?

In my case, neither of us were into our respective hobbies until several years into our relationship -- my mom got us some scrapbooking stuff as part of our engagement present, and she's been hooked ever since; I just started caching a little over a year ago. So does this mean it's a personality type?

Singles are also welcome to respond, especially if you're a scrapbooking cacher. I'm curious how many people are into both as well.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

I don't scrap book, but i write an extended journal and i have a geo photo album. I number my finds and TB's in my online logs cause even though i enjoy writing, i'm 40 caches behind...i guess i cache faster than i write. But i'm catching up! <giggle>

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

Very interesting breakdown on your statistics so far. Either or both of us COULD become scrapbookers if we aren't careful, but so far we've resisted. We take tons of pictures and have file drawers full of clippings, etc. We've just never taken the next step.

Very interesting topic and poll.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Hooo yeah, my wife scrapbooks. She got this special case to carry all her stuff around. When that overflowed she got a bigger one. When that overflowed, she got a big box. When that overflowed, she got a big cabinet that's sitting in the corner of our dining room. She's now got the cabinet, a couple portable cases, a few boxes, and a table in the living room that's constantly covered. More often than not she takes over the whole dining room table too.

She has 'scraps' (like a cache event, but for scrappers) at home and elsewhere. She does paper piecing, punch art, quilling, rubber stamping, journalling, etc. She makes toppers, borders, tags, crocheted and metal embellishments, corners, etc. She teaches classes on it all for continuing ed. She makes things to sell on eBay (and does pretty well, too). She's part of the design team for a scrapbooking store out east. She's spending hundreds of dollars to attend CKU this fall.

In short, yeah, she's hooked.

But what can I say? She tolerates me dashing off to hunt tupperware in the woods.

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:
Hooo yeah, my wife scrapbooks. She got this special case to carry all her stuff around. When that overflowed she got a bigger one. When that overflowed, she got a big box. When that overflowed, she got a big cabinet that's sitting in the corner of our dining room. She's now got the cabinet, a couple portable cases, a few boxes, and a table in the living room that's constantly covered. More often than not she takes over the whole dining room table too.

Watch out! My Mom does needle work and she basically now has a whole room!

pokeanim3.gif

Yeah, I hear about this scrapbooking thing, and it sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure my life is interesting enough. No, actually, my life is VERY interesting, but it doesn't "go" with the usual motifs of pretty decoupage and little ribbons and pressed flowers.

So, my stuff sits in boxes. Except for a couple of things I've done with photos/train ticket stubs/museum tickets/journals from trips abroad.

Ok guys, question:

Based on the results of the poll above - with 53% of us having scrapbooking in the mix - would it be appropriate to put a link on here to my wife's website? She does scrapbooking, etc. and holds classes, sells items, etc.?

I know we don't want this forum to become a sales forum, but since it's appropriate and I've seen other links to sites for people who sell caching walking sticks, etc. I thought I'd get your opinions on this.

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

would it be appropriate to put a link on here to my wife's website?

Kealia-

Weird... My wife scrapbooks too...

I would think you "shouldn't" post a link to your wife's webpage. For example, don't create a new topic called, "Come see my wife's scrapbooking page". It doesn't have to do with caching.

However, you could put your/her webpage in your signature, so when you posted replies to the geocaching community, your webpage link would be visible then.

Just my thought...

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

Well, we both geocache, although Matt is a little more into it than Julia. Julia scrapbooks and like some others on here has multiple carriers overflowing with the tools of the trade. And, we do also have a blog which is geocaching-oriented but deals with other stuff as well. The link is in our sig.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

Joani used to scrapbook B.G. (before geocaching). She also used to knit, crochet, dabble in genealogy, paint, and various other crafts. Now, well, I think you know what she does...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I am the Geocacher and my wife is the scrapbooker.

She asked me to post this:

Anyone have any scrapbooking information or ideas that they would like to share? Anyone have a web sites?

e-mails welcomed

white_owl@sympatico.ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone can go to a Tupperware party but it takes a special skill to hunt plastic containers in the wild.

I scrapbook and geocache. I was into making scrapbooks before it became so popular. I like to draw and paint,etc. and I usually have my camera with me everywhere I go. I save ticket stubs and post cards everywhere I go so I can add them to the pages. I just started making a scrapbook about geocaching a while back. Just like geocaching, it's addictive. It's a good hobby for anyone, creative or not.

White_owl, try twopeasinabucket.com. I visit that site quite often.

muddaUBER

Janice here of Team Olmstead. We like to geocache as a family and I am an avid scrapbooker. We have taken TONS of pictures of our caching adventures, but I haven't been able to scrap them yet because we've pretty much been in moving mode since we've started geocaching. Hopefully I'll be able to start putting them into their own "Geocaching" album once all of our stuff gets here to Hawaii. To the previous poster, I go to Two Peas all the time. If you visit the boards, I'm Skish.

Bringing this thread back to life because of dinoprophets post in the W.A.G. thread. My wife is an avid scrapbooker, I an avid geocacher. Just like dinoprophet, neither of us were into our respective hobbies when we met. Just checked the dates with the wife, and we started our hobbies within two months of each other. We are both happy, neither of us care to participate in the others very much, but we are both supportive. I even went on a scrapbook retreat with her last year. It was held in a WV state park with miles of trails to hike. We both had fun <_<

Biggest Girl scraps on occassion. She is way behind on various pages.

She also is a very willing geocacher. However she is a very demanding log editor for this author. She won't write any of them but she will offer all kinds of advice on what I should document about the find.

Just so she has a record later when she writes it into the scrapbook album.

My wife doesn't scrapbook, but shes pretty obsessive about our photos. The second we get them developed or printed she goes has to organize them and put them right in a photo album. I think we have like 20 photo albums at this point, it's actually kind of nice. But she's definitely obsessive about it.

My wife is a Stampin' Up Demonstrator, and does her share of scrapbooking, making cards, etc. She also quilts, and does other stuff. She goes to the yearly cult meeting where they all gather together and stamp and scrapbook and probably participate in some secret ritualistic society stuff that I am unaware of. She sells the stamps to support her habit. I wish I had a secondary way to support mine!

My wife scrapbooks as well. I had no idea how much stuff there was with that hobby, and now we may have to move the kids out <_< , to make room for all the accessories!

This weekend I had the opportunity to take a friend out with me, for a couple of caches. I have him hooked and he is going to get himself a GPS and start caching.

Coincidently, his wife is into scrapbooking as well.....

As the boot group mom, I confess that I am an avid scrapbooker. I used to sell scrapbooking stuff through a private company to my friends and family. Now, I just happily use the stuff I didn't sell for myself. I sometimes place scrapbooking "treats" in caches like special scissors and little page kits.

As far as caching, well the boot group dad introduced it.

Since our kids are pretty young, we are "fair weather" cachers, although we had a number of finds over this past cold New England winter. When the weather isn't good enough for caching, the scrapbook pages get done!

Edited by Boot Group
...Are cachers attracted to scrappers, and if so, why?

I am not necessarily attracted to scrappers. Actually, I hate scrapbooks.

I sometimes keep an abbreviated journal when I'm traveling, and photos in chronological order.

Maybe I've just led a sheltered life and not seen many interesting scrapbooks.

This is not to say that I find scrappers themselves unattractive or uninteresting. :mad:

My wife did scrapbook me geocaching Awwwwwww my 100th find

Wow! You've reached 100 finds already? Congrats AmishHacker. :(:mad:

My wife does stained glass ornaments, but could be talked into scrapbooking if she met the right person.  Is there a 12 step program if she does?

There is a 12 step program. As soon as she breaks out the scrapbook supplies, take 6 steps to grab your gps, and 6 steps to the car. You're outta there. She won't even know your gone :mad:

Being the wife of the KaiserKlan team, I love scrapbooking. My husband and I have so many overlapping hobbies... geocaching, photography, card making, ham radio, and scouting (what am I forgetting?). We have decided to have a giant hobby room designed into the house we are having built.

I find that now that we are so into geocaching, and it is a hobby we enjoy together, I do not have as much time for scrapbooking as I once did. It takes time to keep my waypoints updated in my Geko and the posts updated in my PDA. Then there is all the time spent reading the Groundspeak forums, creating travel bugs and watching their progress....I could go on.

Someday I will get caught up on my SB'ing. But not soon. :mad:

I started taking pictures back in high school. I have 27 some odd years of pictures in a hefty bag in a trunk, filling drawers and a zillion unorganized computer files since I got the digital. The only organized pics I have are my geocaching gallery photos. I did manage to put one trip to France in 2 photo albums. The second trip to France is .... somewhere! who has time. Time spent scrapbooking inside is time wasted not caching outside. I do keep those images in my head though. :ph34r:

My wife does stained glass ornaments, but could be talked into scrapbooking if she met the right person.  Is there a 12 step program if she does?

There is a 12 step program. As soon as she breaks out the scrapbook supplies, take 6 steps to grab your gps, and 6 steps to the car. You're outta there. She won't even know your gone :ph34r:

I like the way you think!