quick question from an excited newbie

i just got into this a few days ago, and i have a quick question (spare me if its been asked a million times pleeeeease):

as soon as i got into this, i came up with a good spot to hide a cache, but as luck has it, someone has one pretty close to the location i was thinking of. herein lies my question: where i want to put one is a bit more physically challenging and would probably be cooler(for lack of a better word). so, do i make it or is there some sort of unwritten code that i shouldnt make one so close to another out of respect?

quote:
Originally posted by Ninja Vanish:

as soon as i got into this, i came up with a good spot to hide a cache, but as luck has it, someone has one pretty close to the location i was thinking of. herein lies my question: where i want to put one is a bit more physically challenging and would probably be cooler(for lack of a better word)

First off, if you haven't actually found any caches yet, how do you KNOW yours will be cooler then the one already there? Go out and find yourself 10-15 caches so you have an idea just what a cool cache is or isn't. Central NJ has more caches per square mile then just about anywhere else in the world, and is also the stomping grounds of some of the top hiders and finders. I'm not saying we don't have lame caches too, just you gotta work really hard to make the cool list. To do that you need to see what the other caches in your area actually look like, first. I'm sorry, but I've found caches placed by people who have never found one, and they usually are the exact opposite of cool.

Second, usually they will not approve a cache closer then .1 mile to another cache. Of course, if they are 200ft apart but say on opposite banks of a river, they will usually make an exception. What cache exactly do you want to place one near?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Admin doesn't like caches that include: trespassing, crossing RR tracks on foot, placing them on major freeway medians, on school grounds (especially during school hours), breaking and entering, etc., ect.. Other than that have a good time hiding one and remember the 528' thing. It's just common courtesy to leave some distance between your cache and another cache.

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

No B&E? Well there goes that cache idea.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Ya, I can just see the log book for a Breaking & Entering cache...

Took: TV, VCR, CD Player, & Jewelry...

Left: Broken window and muddy footprints on the carpet...

icon_biggrin.gif

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.