SHOULD THERE BE AN OT FORUM SECTION?

hikemeister

In another thread ('Forum Wars'), Keystone Approver wrote:

"Topics that debate signature line images run for six pages, while a topic on "best geocaching experience ever" quickly slides off the page for lack of interest."

I think there is a very clear 'take home' message here -- folks like to talk about off topic items sometimes. They are fun.

So what do you think about having an off topic forum section?

This would do two things -- (1) provide a place for folks to have these interesting discussions, and (2) address the other problem that Keystone Approver noted, about new viewers like park managers getting turned off by off topic discussions in the general forum.

Please share your views.

I think there is a difference between off topic and out of line. Topics that are off topic here in the general forum are usually left alone until they get out of hand.

Out of line topics will have no place here in general or in a OT forum if that ever were to happen. The only good thing that would come out of an OT forum is that General would calm down and get back to business as normal. The one major bad thing about an OT forum would be that it would be totally out of control and un manageable.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

Yeah, the problem isn't that a posting starts off topic. It's when someone posts about, oh say first aide kits, and someone posts a "what? Are you an idiot?" rant. Then someone finds something to be offended about. Then someone is annoyed by someone being offended. "yeah, but you said this about virtuals, "Virtuals?, I think that everybody should agree with me!" and GC.com should do what I say..blah blah blah blah

Then it's deja moo all over again

I personally don't feel a need for an "Off Topic" section. There's enough to talk about here when we stick to Geocaching. However, I do think that the topics started in the General forum should be strictly related to Geocaching. Topics about the Geocaching.com site (including discussion about use/abuse of forums) should be started in the "Geocaching.com Discussion" forum.

There must be an easy, polite way for the General forum moderator to post "such and such topic, along with all posts in the thread, has been moved to the "Geocaching.com Discussion" forum."

The following is a list of recently posted to topics which should have been started on, or moved to (if that were possible) the Geocaching.com discussion forum:

• SHOULD THERE BE AN OT FORUM SECTION?

• new topic as directed
  • Moderation or Censorship?
  • Tags removed from signature lines
  • Less than sign.
  • Forum Wars
  • Private Topics Have Ratings?
  • Problem
  • posting
  • Whats up with everyone's profiles?
  • Complaint Dept!!
  • MORE ABOUT Groundspeak
  • Cache page printing and Pocket Query Feature Suggestions

I don't blame anyone for starting those topics here, because this is the most active forum, and the best place to attract a lot of participation. This could however be changed by active (polite) moderation.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

I agree with Seneca. Topics should be posted in the appropriate forum. General does give your post more exposure, but that isn't always the best thing.

Polite moderation like when Markwell points to another post would help direct the conversation to the appropriate forum. Can admins move topics or do they have to delete them and repost?

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

Personally, I think it would be a good thing. There's only so many ways I can stick to talking about geocaching. I frequent several other forums, such as the message board on Scubadiving.com. It's not moderated, nor is it always on topic. I think it generates tight-knit groups because of it -- you can tell about the local weather, what you're planning for the weekend, etc.

When someone gets bored in a forum with the same-old, same old, they participate less and head for other areas.

My 02¢

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Topics that are off topic here in the general forum are usually left alone until they get out of hand.

Do you really believe that?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

...and when the majicman is loose to frolic among the fields of corn, who knows what kernels might get popped?

--majicman

(MY new book is NOW AVAILABLE! Check it out: http://www.mcwj.com )

I think there should be an OT section.

Most every other forum I have been to has had one. I have moderated a few as well and they are pretty easy to keep an eye on. Just give a warning when a debate starts to get personal. Anything else is free game.

Would help keep the General Geocaching forum on topic more than it is now.

But alas, I am not TBTP. It is their forum to run as they see fit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by TeamX40:

Yeah, the problem isn't that a posting starts off topic. It's when someone posts about, oh say first aide kits, and someone posts a "what? Are you an idiot?" rant. Then someone finds something to be offended about. Then someone is annoyed by someone being offended. "yeah, but you said this about virtuals, "Virtuals?, I think that everybody should agree with me!" and GC.com should do what I say..blah blah blah blah

Then it's deja moo all over again

WOW this post went off topic all by its self

cool

I work for the QOFE that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

So why doesn't someone create a message board off site where cachers can meet to discuss whatever they want? The only thing that would be difficult is getting the word out about it. I'm sure any advertisements for it (free or not) wouldn't go over well here. Still, if there was a way to get forum regulars who desire to talk about politics gun control etc. into an off site forum designed for that purpose, it would cut down on a lot of the OT stuff in here. Any takers? icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

quote:
Originally posted by as77:

hikemeister, it would have been really helpful if you had written "off-topic" instead of just "OT" in the topic title. Why should people solve puzzles in order to understand what the topic is about? Of course, IMHO YMMV icon_smile.gif

I hope the 'puzzle' was not too difficult, since the answer was in the first posting. If you think this was a puzzle, then good luck hunting for multi-caches.

icon_wink.gif

Just kidding - of course

2 cups butter

4 cups flour

2 tsp Baking Soda (edited for clarification)

2 cups sugar

5 cups blended oatmeal

24 oz. chocolate chips

2 cups brown sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 8oz Hershey Bar (grated)

4 eggs

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla

3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

[This message was edited by CO Admin on October 16, 2003 at 02:36 PM.]

quote:

I think there is a difference between off topic and out of line. Topics that are off topic here in the general forum are usually left alone until they get out of hand.

Really? icon_rolleyes.gif

IMO (I didn't include the H cuz there's nothing humble about this one) It depends on the person who posts the OT thread more than where the thread goes.

Do I need to provide links? I'm at work but I'll back up my statement if requested.

quote:

The only good thing that would come out of an OT forum is that General would calm down and get back to business as normal. The one major bad thing about an OT forum would be that it would be totally out of control and un manageable.

Foregone conclusion huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

There is soooo much wrong with a statement like that coming from a mod, I don't know where to begin. tired.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

2 cups butter

4 cups flour

2 tsp Baking Soda (edited for clarification)

2 cups sugar

5 cups blended oatmeal

24 oz. chocolate chips

2 cups brown sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 8oz Hershey Bar (grated)

4 eggs

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla

3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

[This message was edited by CO Admin on October 16, 2003 at 02:36 PM.]

Looks very tasty, is this an old family recipe?

I work for the QOFE that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

Key Lime Pie

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1/2 cup granulated sugar

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick butter) melted

2 (14-ounce) cans condensed milk

1 cup key lime juice

2 whole eggs

1 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons powdered sugar

1 tablespoon lime zest

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter with your hands. Press the mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie pan, and bake until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature before filling.

Preheat the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.

In a separate bowl, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, and eggs. Whisk until well blended and place the filling in the cooled pie shell. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Once chilled, combine the sour cream and powdered sugar and spread over the top of the pie using a spatula. Sprinkle the lime zest as a garnish on top of the sour cream and serve chilled

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

Since no one quoted me yet:

The general forum (in the past) is/was somewhat like an online event cache. Event caches are about getting to know your fellow cachers. If you were told that you could only discuss geocaching at event caches, how many would you attend?

Talking about other subjects is how you get to KNOW and become FRIENDS with other geocachers. If you had discussed art, literature, popular culture, non-geocaching experiences, with another geocacher, or read their posts, would not thier later ON TOPIC posts have greater depth?

I DON'T want to go to another forum and talk with Joe fweakin Public. The people and friends that I have the most in common with are RIGHT HERE.

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

Originally posted by hydee:

Yes, it is possible to move topics. It does lead to some confusion when users attempt to find the topic and it appears to be gone.

Why can't the topic be moved...the moderator/mover could then re-post the same topic title in its original location (closed) with a link to the new location?

bad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

"Why can't the topic be moved..."

They can be moved as I stated above. "Yes, it is possible to move topics."

When I move a topic, I post to the original topic where the topic can be found. They receive a notificion at that time (if they have selected to be notified of new posts).

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

sorry deleted the second half of my post big_smile.gif

"the moderator/mover could then re-post the same topic title in its original location (closed) with a link to the new location?"

Moving topics helps keep the discussion boards organized, creating a duplicate thread would add clutter to a forum we are attempting to organize.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

But the duplicate thread would be closed and offer a link to anyone who didn't choose the notifications option.

I prefer to surf the forum, rather than receive an email notification every time someone posts to a topic that interests me.

bad_boy_a.gif

quote:

Moving topics helps keep the discussion boards organized, creating a duplicate thread would add clutter to a forum we are attempting to organize.

Ummm....so why hasn't this thread been moved to "Geocaching.com Discussion" ? icon_confused.gif

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

Fwiw here's my take on this subject.

The most successful forums that I have attended have always provided a way for people to vent and be completely off topic without cluttering a general forum that was meant to be about... oh let's just say... geocaching in general.

Call it the soapbox forum, or maybe the kitchen - the connotations these imply are pretty obvious. What is said there stays there. Then the only thing that needs to be moderated is for general respect, and truly tasteless subjects that have no place in a family based forum, and nothing more.

It is a place to vent, to be silly and to get to know one another in a different way other than just being technical geeks in a technical or general discussion about a force feed subject. Yes, telling people to talk only about GPS or geocaching in a general forum is force feeding the subject. Please don't condescend me with tightly controlled subjects such as abject silliness. It isn't a valid outlet when there is a threat of censorship, lockdown or any other action deemed worthy by moderators whom are increasingly becoming more criticised than thanked. This is an upsidedown dilemma.

Consider this; the bickering level is on the rise, as is the censoring. The bickering is happening because people are pretty upset with the major censorship on posts that are not on topic. The censoring is happening because the topics are not staying on track. As a general rule, humans tend to wander in their conversations which generally will not stay on topic. Instead of fighting against that nature, work with it and provide an outlet and watch the morale improve.

One more point and I'll finish. Webby voting is being solicited. You won't get many votes in this general state of affairs if there is no positive sign of improvement.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:

Ummm....so why hasn't this thread been moved to "Geocaching.com Discussion" ? icon_confused.gif

'Geocaching.com Discussion' is to discuss topics specificly related to the Geocaching.com site. This topic is about the Groundspeak forums not the geocaching.com site so the topic does not belong in 'geocaching.com discussion', it fits better in General.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:

_I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me._

I totally disagree. This is the best forum to discuss this issue, since this forum is where the question is asked again & again & again.

Since were swapping goodies as well on this thread:

This is my formula for a fun time on the forums: (forgive my spelling of some of the names)

3 Parts Souza Hornitos Tequila

1 1/2 Parts Midori Melon Liqueur

5 Parts Margarita Mix

1 Table spoon of orange juice concentrate per quart. (That's the secret.)

(Optional 1 part Gran Marnier or Cointreau. No crappy Triple Sec.)

An exxxxpensive drink, but a real crowd pleaser. A few of them and you can go Jomarac5 on the forums with the best of 'em.

The person above the person above me makes many good points. I disagree about the Webby vote though. This site still gets my vote. I think GC.com deserves to win again.

My GC.com approval rating is rock steady at 93.5 percent. I give it an A-.

The person below me misses the FUN threads almost as much as I do.

quote:
Originally posted by CO Admin:

Looks very tasty, is this an old family recipe?

Nope, not unless he's related to Nieman Marcus. icon_wink.gif That's the Infamous Cookie Recipe. It's a good one, but NOTE the quantities when you're making it -- that's a LOT of cookies! Unless you've got some BIG bowls, you may want to consider halving the recipe. (Mom catered weddings, LOL...)

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I'd like to submit "Front Porch" as the name for the OT (Off Topic) forum.

Does anyone agree? (I knew you wouldn't).

So, is a thread of pictures of people's pets related to geocaching? I suppose if there were a cache, or if pictures were confined to those taken while caching...

Found: 35

Hidden: 1

Lost: usually

But it would be nice if people did a search for a similar topic before startinga "new" one.

BTW, cookies are not appropriate trade items except at cache events.

Caramel Apple Pie

3 cups all-purpose flour

Pinch salt

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks

2 eggs separated, (yolks for the pastry, whites for the glaze)

3 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed

Caramel Apples:

1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for the top

3 tablespoons water

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup red wine

1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped

1 lemon, halved

8 apples (recommended: Granny Smith and Gala)

1 tablespoon flour

1 cinnamon stick, freshly grated

1/4 cup unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make the pastry, combine the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Cut in the chunks of cold butter with a pastry blender, a little at a time, until the dough resembles cornmeal. Add the 2 egg yolks and the ice water, and blend for a second just to pull the dough together and moisten. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and let it rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.

To make the caramel sauce: place the sugar and water in a small pot and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the sugar has melted and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the burner and add the cream and wine slowly. It may bubble and spit, so be careful. When the sauce has calmed down, return it to the flame, add the vanilla bean and heat it slowly, until the wine and caramel are smooth and continue to slowly cook until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and cool until thickened.

Fill a large bowl with cold water and squeeze in the lemon juice. Peel the apples with a paring knife, cut them in half, and remove the core with a melon baller. Put the apple halves in the lemon-water (this will keep them from going brown). Toss the apples with the flour and cinnamon.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator, unwrap the plastic, and cut the ball in half. Rewrap and return 1 of the balls to the refrigerator, until ready for the top crust. Let the dough rest on the counter for 15 minutes so it will be pliable enough to roll out. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Carefully roll the dough up onto the pin and lay it inside a 10-inch glass pie pan. Press the dough into the pan so it fits tightly.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Slice a couple of the apples at a time using a mandolin or a very sharp knife. The apples need to be thinly sliced so that as the pie bakes, they collapse on top of each other with no air pockets. This makes a dense, meaty apple pie. Cover the bottom of the pastry with a layer of apples, shingling the slices so there are no gaps. Ladle about 2 ounces of the cooled red wine caramel sauce evenly over the apple slices. Repeat the layers, until the pie is slightly overfilled and domed on the top; the apples will shrink down as the pie cooks. Top the apples with pieces of the butter.

Now, roll out the other ball of dough just as you did the first. Brush the bottom lip of the pie pastry with a little beaten egg white to form a seal. Place the pastry circle on top of the pie, and using some kitchen scissors, trim off the overhanging excess from around the pie. Crimp the edges of dough together with your fingers to make a tight seal. Cut slits in the top of the pie so steam can escape while baking. Place the pie on a sheet tray and tent it with a piece of aluminum foil, so the crust does not cook faster than the apples.

Bake the caramel apple pie for 25 minutes on the middle rack. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar with the freshly grated cinnamon. Remove the foil from the pie and brush the top with the remaining egg white. Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar and return to the oven. Continue to bake for another 25 minutes, until the pie is golden and bubbling. Let the apple pie rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour to allow the fruit pectin to gel and set; otherwise the pie will fall apart when you cut into it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

But it would be nice if people did a search for a similar topic before startinga "new" one.

I understand what you are talkng about, but then there would be no new threads brought up at all. I think if there is a similar topic in the first page or so, then it's probably best not to start a new one. But you can't require people to read and search all the topics posted here. You can read 5 different threads on the same topic and never really get a full answer. But you will learn plenty of other things there.

One thing I don't care for is when a topic from a long time ago pops up to the top of the list and unless you pay attention to the date, you think it's something current.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

My Stats

Found: 70

Hidden: 2

OK, so what's the deal with the recipes? Oh I get it, this is to make a point -- right.

The person five persons above me can have a beer on me -- make that two beers.

Hey, what the heck is OT anyway?

OT - off topic

OT - out there

OT - ogre toes

OT - ordinary thread

OT - open this

OT - orignial thought

OT .............

Since we're giving names for a forum that will probably never exist, here's mine:

Cheers: Where Everybody Knows Your Name

forum description: yadda, yadda, blah, blah, post whatever the heck ya like, but keep it reasonably clean, or risk the wrath of THE FROG and his geominions. bad_boy_a.giftongue.gif

The person below me is a Cheers regular and will second that motion by continuing TPBM lines.

Actually, we don't need a special forum for off topics.

I think it has already been stated (by a moderator) that off topic only becomes a problem when it becomes distasteful, or out of control.

This topic could be considered off topic by a lot of people. The topic is supposed to be about topics that are off topic.

Are recipes on topic in this thread? Well, I suppose it could be debated, but so far the topic is still up and running.

And there's no debating...it's off topic.

So the moral to all this off topic nonsense is: you can go off topic at any time. You can even start an off topic thread if you want. You just have to stay off topic when you do it. But off topic topics and on topic topics should always be in good taste...and not redundant.

Nobody wants te read an off topic post to an on topic thread if it is in bad taste or redundant.

Since the off topic recipes posted above would probably taste good, I don't see any reason to have an off topic section in the forums (unless the topic is repeatedly untasty).

TPBM thinks he understands what I just said! icon_wink.gif

bad_boy_a.gif