Next Generation GPS???

umc

Hello all,

I have been diligently doing my homework on current handheld GPS's on the market and for what I am looking for I have narrowed it down to the Magellan Meridian Platinum, Garmin V and the Lowrance iFinder.

I have had my Lowrance Globalmap 100 for the past 4 years and like it quite a bit with the exceptions that it is limited to only 2MB of memory and its not waterproof. There are a ton of other features out there that I would also like to have above what the GM100 has.

So, I have been looking closely at the Meridian Platinum because of its expandablilty and waterproofness (is that even a word?) foremost along with everything else that it offers with the exception that the maps are not as good (so I hear) as garmins stuff.

I have had no problems with my GM100 but would like more room and the security of more than just IPX2.

Getting to the point

What I'm wondering is if its a good time to upgrade now or should I wait until the next generation GPS's come out and when do you all think that may be if ever? I understand that the 3 models that I mentioned were all released not too long ago so if Garmin and Magellan are anything like Lowrance it may be 4 years until we see a new product line?

I know, you don't have to say it, I'm picky

Thanks for your thoughts

I was thinking the other day that it would be cool to have the satellite weather map capability on a GPS to see the weather coming in, clouds, rain, lightning strikes, you know, just like the weather channel stuff. That would be cool. Would it be possible? icon_confused.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I was thinking the other day that it would be cool to have the satellite weather map capability on a GPS to see the weather coming in, clouds, rain, lightning strikes, you know, just like the weather channel stuff. That would be cool. Would it be possible? icon_confused.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Cache you later,

Planet

I know that there aren't going to be any 'earth-shattering changes' but I was just curious if anyone knew if any of the 'big three' were due out any new receivers in the near future (Christmas time).

I don't know about you all but I would pay a premium for One GPSr that had all of the features of the three units that I mentioned above combined.

quote:
Originally posted by pkpaul:

It needs to have GPSr and phone and camera and wireless web in color and PDA and XM radio (already has GPS receiver after all). Is that to much to ask? Not to mention wearable computers and heads-up displays. OK, how about a mosquito magnet built in.

PKPaul

icon_razz.gif

I like your thinking, though I'd put the mosquito magnet inside a mosquito trap...

The areas where a GPS could improve.

1) Memory, I can't load enough maps into my GPS V.

2) Routing in rural areas (which takes more memory)

3) Color which would make your GPS easier to use, but suck more power

4) Less power use so the batteries last longer.

5) Blue Tooth/Wi Fi for a wirless link to your Laptop or PDA for mapping/routing etc. Or your PC.

You will note that the list is more or less mutually exclusive. If I had all the memory I needed etc. my batteries would last 4 hours and not the 10 I get on my NiMH's.

That's all I can see for the near future.

If my GPS would take a compact flash card for map memory that would be cool. then I could add what I need and not waste the power when I dont need it.

quote:

It needs to have GPSr and phone and camera and wireless web in color and PDA and XM radio (already has GPS receiver after all). Is that to much to ask? Not to mention wearable computers and heads-up displays. OK, how about a mosquito magnet built in.

PKPaul

icon_razz.gif

I like your thinking, though I'd put the mosquito magnet inside a mosquito trap...

The areas where a GPS could improve.

1) Memory, I can't load enough maps into my GPS V.

2) Routing in rural areas (which takes more memory)

3) Color which would make your GPS easier to use, but suck more power

4) Less power use so the batteries last longer.

5) Blue Tooth/Wi Fi for a wirless link to your Laptop or PDA for mapping/routing etc. Or your PC.

You will note that the list is more or less mutually exclusive. If I had all the memory I needed etc. my batteries would last 4 hours and not the 10 I get on my NiMH's.

That's all I can see for the near future.

If my GPS would take a compact flash card for map memory that would be cool. then I could add what I need and not waste the power when I dont need it.

quote:

PKPaul

icon_razz.gif

At some point in the not to distant future that is exactly what you will see in a unit. I don't know what it will be called but technology is rapidly moving in that direction.

I'm just not sure if there will be a blender attached. icon_razz.gif

quote:

PKPaul

icon_razz.gif

At some point in the not to distant future that is exactly what you will see in a unit. I don't know what it will be called but technology is rapidly moving in that direction.

I'm just not sure if there will be a blender attached. icon_razz.gif

We have been using the Garmin GPS V and have been extremely happy with it. On a rececnt trip to Lousiville, KY from Oregon, we were able to find 12 caches in one day strictly navigating with the GPS. No maps, no idea where we were and it took us even through residential areas to places we would have NEVER found without the automatic routing feature. Plenty of memory if you plan ahead to where you are going. Use the 12V adapter while navigating in the car and carry a set of backup batteries (or a couple of sets of NIMH batteries with a 12V charger to keep them charged while traveling) and you'll be ready to go. The mapping features are incredible, showing all roads, including forest service roads as well as most ammenities in all cities and towns. We are definately happy cachers with this unit!

Capt. Jack

The next generation is coming (has been in progress for a little while) but these things do take time but in the meantime new models will certainly be released by just about everybody (new models based on an old theme).

Next generation however doesn't equate to next model, they are totally different.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

The next generation is coming (has been in progress for a little while) but these things do take time but in the meantime new models will certainly be released by just about everybody (new models based on an old theme).

Next generation however doesn't equate to next model, they are totally different.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Cheers, Kerry.

There's a sidebar in this month's Scientific American about the possibility of soon adding tiny atomic clocks to handheld gpsrs to correct errors.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Cheers, Kerry.

There's a sidebar in this month's Scientific American about the possibility of soon adding tiny atomic clocks to handheld gpsrs to correct errors.

ApK

How do I know? I just bought one so that means it should become obsolete in a matter of days. But yes, I just took a trip from Milwaukee area to Nashville. Loaded the Nashville area and part of Milwaukee. Got back last night and have to load the Milwaukee to Madison to LaCrosse area and it won't fit! icon_mad.gif But this is all off topic, sorry. My point is that like computers, technology changes at a fast rate. I don't mind funding research and development with my purchases.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

How do I know? I just bought one so that means it should become obsolete in a matter of days. But yes, I just took a trip from Milwaukee area to Nashville. Loaded the Nashville area and part of Milwaukee. Got back last night and have to load the Milwaukee to Madison to LaCrosse area and it won't fit! icon_mad.gif But this is all off topic, sorry. My point is that like computers, technology changes at a fast rate. I don't mind funding research and development with my purchases.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bukosky:

My point is that like computers, technology changes at a fast rate. I don't mind funding research and development with my purchases.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I hear ya, I don't mind funding R & D either, I feel good about supporting a company that supports their customers.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Unless your interested in the barometer. You might consider the Gold.

The digital compass is pretty poor. Like the cheesy ones that come on a watch band. It can take up to thirty seconds for it to point north. Even then it may not be correct. You have to lay it on its side to use the compass. Then you lose the sat signals.

The differance between base map size doesn't matter when you load detailed maps.

Although, when I bought the Platinum it was only fourty dollars more.

dance2.gif

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Does anyone know if the Detailed maps from Magellan are anywhere near the quality as the Garmins? I hear or read that the Garmin maps are 'clearer' and are more up to date.

I don't really care if they are clearer but being up to date is pretty important.

But.

I have been enjoying the out of date map on my GM100 because it still shows an old railway by my house which has helped me find trails, caches and benchmarks. If I were to get a new GPSr I may lose that feature (not really a feature I know but it is nice)

Anyway, thanks for the input and keep it coming.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

You can't fit the entire country on one CD rom with out problems.

You also can't update all the changes that happen to maps every day everywhere in the country. They don't come out with updates that often.

The Garmin does have a higher resolution screen. However that makes everything smaller.

When driving you have to leen in to see the details of the screen.

Although the GM100 has a similar res. you maybe used to it.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

I'll have to think about that one as I'm not really sure what an atomic clock in the unit would really do as the timing is handled very cleverly (and cheaply) as it is.

The biggest error to correct is atmospherics and dual frequency (next civil generation) will counter some of that but as with all the other error effects not 100%.

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

I'll have to think about that one as I'm not really sure what an atomic clock in the unit would really do as the timing is handled very cleverly (and cheaply) as it is.

The biggest error to correct is atmospherics and dual frequency (next civil generation) will counter some of that but as with all the other error effects not 100%.

Cheers, Kerry.