Geocaching Demographics

Guest Nomad

Guest Nomad

eally count as I haven't been geocaching. I would bet that the average age is at least over 25...due to the relative expense of GPS units. While you're at it put wehter you're male or female so we can get some kind of geocaching demographics. Also rank your self as very athletic, athletic, moderately athletic, not athletic (when compared to the average person...not Michael Jordan!) After all, the more we know about other geocachers the more appropriately we can plan what goes into our own caches and how difficult it should be to find.

I'm a very athletic 21 year old male.

Guest Moun10Bike

I'd consider myself an athletic 35 year old male (who strives to be younger and more athletic!). No kids, just getting married this summer.

Guest Farqhuarson

24 yr old male. consider my self athletic, been an outdoorsman since i was a kid, yeah i was a Boy Scout. play amatuer level volleyball here on the Gulf Coast as well. just started this, going to do my third cache this weekend. (the first was an unsuccessful attempt out in west texas).

Guest bubba232

This is a good idea. I'm also curious.

I would be a single, athletic 32yr old male, with enough experience not to get (too) lost. I know if I walk far enough left I'll reach the pacific ocean. icon_wink.gif

Guest bubba232

This is a good idea. I'm also curious.

I would be a single, athletic 32yr old male, with enough experience not to get (too) lost. I know if I walk far enough left I'll reach the pacific ocean. icon_wink.gif

Guest proxien

me: 26, male, not athletic

wife: female, other stats not liseted to protect my safety

son: 7 1/2 months old (arguably the youngest cacher in the world to date) and if his crawling is any indication, he will be very very athletic

citotran.gif

------------------

Mike Newman

tenmilesaway.com

nothing is there

[This message has been edited by proxien (edited 03-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by proxien (edited 03-21-2001).]

Guest David Plendl

41, male, moderately athletic. Ride road and mountain bikes. Married, no kids. I'd like to get other cyclists involved in geocaching.

Guest Anton

Male, 49 years-old, have beard, have bald spot, am in decent shape...considering the following: married to Mardie (still) for 27 yrs, son 21 (Andy), daughter 15 (Katie), bonsai tree (Steve), chinchilla (Susie), and no dogs. Hope that skews the stats a bit.

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-22-2001).]

Guest bpuetz

Ok, now I don't feel so bad! I'm 49, male, and on a diet. I'm an ex-Marine Vietnam veteran with a lovely Norwegian wife, a 3 year-old daughter that is the delight of my life, and a cat who thinks he's a dog. Still waiting on a GPS (eTrex Vista so I can have an altimeter in Norway). I hope to be the first to stash caches in a number of countries we regularly visit.

Guest Ron Streeter

How long will I hold the title of "oldest" in this thread? I'll be 58 in October, 2001. I wouldn't consider myself athletic, but I hike every weekend almost (for the last 15 years). My only other sport is golf..but I walk there too. For you "youngsters" ... when I was 40 I felt 25, but now at 57, I would guess I feel....52 ! Stay active !

Guest Seamus

27 Years, single, helpdesk computer tech for a local community college.

I consider myself to be a bit on the "non-athletic" side, but last weekend, I seemed to fare the best of our group of three that climbed a hill to get to the Loudon Heights cache, so I must be getting at least _some_ exercise from carrying all those computers up and down the (entirely too many) stairs on campus...

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest JoeyBob

36 years old, married, becoming athletic again. Two kids 4 and 3, no pets (see kids ages). Older son will love this sport, he is super inquisitive and a gadget freak like his dad!

I'm a 47 yo fat,out of shape, ok lets say my shape is round, with a wife and four kids. Have had a interest in land navigations for 30 years. Love looking at a map finding something interesting and going there. GPS has make this a lot easier. Live in a rural area. Planning some caches after the snow melts. Love spending as much time I can in walking in the woods.

Guest Snowtrail

25, female, happily married, no kids, out of shape avid backpacker (which means I can hike long distances with a lot of weight albeit slowly)

Guest Markwell

Oh my gosh! There's a female cacher willing to post her stats?!?!

Anyway, 34 YO male, out of shape, but getting better while chasing my two young boys around. Married to a wonderfully supportive wife.

Guest cva38bw

sounds to me like some of you young guys are wearing out at the seams already. I just finished my 66 trip around the sun last month. I walk at least three miles every day and then go out and look for caches whenever their posted in this area.

------------------

Guest CaptHawke

51, male, active; cyclist (200-300k brevets, slow but plenty of endurance), hiker, x-c skier, snowshoer, canoeist, orienteering. Married, 2 kids. My 12 year old is looking forward to cache hunting with me this spring.

Guest donovano

Male, 35, average fitness, not married (but a LONG time girlfriend :-) ), no kids but 3 dogs, 5 cats, 4 llamas, 2 horses, a pony, a donkey and 2 chinchilas. I grew up in northern Saskatchewan so I love the outdoors and being a computer instructor at a community college, I'm a techo-junky so this was a great way to combine the two.

Guest Muzikman

24yo Male, Very Single, Moderately Athletic, Hike, Bike, Kayak, and PAINTBALL (thats how I stay in shape). I too am a computer geek...er..network analyst...

------------------

---------------------

Jason "Muzikman" Beam

Pittsburgh, PA

-eTrex Summit-

Guest Cape Cod Cache

s/m @ 36, smoke like a chimney (but I ride a bicycle to the store for cigarettes), ski, sail/fish and litter the woods with lost golfballs.

Guest jeanine

I am a 34 yr old phtographer/computer geek Mom of a 2 yr old and 4 yr old. I'm moderately athletic and especially love the outdoors. My husband got me obsessed with geocaching and I don't think I'll get over it anytime soon.

Guest Robereno

51 male computer geek with 54 year old backpacking wife. I figure the GPS device is my excuse to combine exercise while playing with battery operated electronic gizmos.

Guest loafah

I am a single 23 year old male from the great state of Maine. I am working in MD as a biophysics researcher right now, but I will be a med student in CA starting this fall. I am involved in many outdoor activities such as skiing, canoeing, hiking, photography, mtn biking, scuba diving, boating, sailing, etc. I also play the violin and viola and I have placed contact info in the kitten cache in Central Park, New York for tickets to hear my orchestra play in Carnegie Hall. There is a good concert coming up on Easter Sunday with the English composer John Rutter conducting his music, so find that cache icon_wink.gif

loafah

[This message has been edited by loafah (edited 03-27-2001).]

Guest loafah

I am a single 23 year old male from the great state of Maine. I am working in MD as a biophysics researcher right now, but I will be a med student in CA starting this fall. I am involved in many outdoor activities such as skiing, canoeing, hiking, photography, mtn biking, scuba diving, boating, sailing, etc. I also play the violin and viola and I have placed contact info in the kitten cache in Central Park, New York for tickets to hear my orchestra play in Carnegie Hall. There is a good concert coming up on Easter Sunday with the English composer John Rutter conducting his music, so find that cache icon_wink.gif

loafah

[This message has been edited by loafah (edited 03-27-2001).]

Guest bacpac

So much for my plan to join a club to meet chicks:-) Looks like just another weekend with the guys. Just kidding, I wouldn't date a woman who was geeky enough to join a geocaching group :-0.

Guest Snowtrail

quote:
Originally posted by bacpac:

I wouldn't date a woman who was geeky enough to join a geocaching group :-0.

Hey hey now! So why would a girl date a GUY geeky enough to join a geocaching group icon_wink.gif

Guest Snowtrail

quote:
Originally posted by bacpac:

I wouldn't date a woman who was geeky enough to join a geocaching group :-0.

Hey hey now! So why would a girl date a GUY geeky enough to join a geocaching group icon_wink.gif

Guest Quinnow

Hey...now theres a new sport!...Geo-Paintball, you hide the flag and only have the long/lats, then both teams try to find it without getting killed. ok-ok, A bit far fetched. ummm...is it too late to change my stats now that I know theres female cachers in here? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:

24yo Male, Very Single, Moderately Athletic, Hike, Bike, Kayak, and PAINTBALL (thats how I stay in shape). I too am a computer geek...er..network analyst...

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-29-2001).]

Guest Quinnow

Hey...now theres a new sport!...Geo-Paintball, you hide the flag and only have the long/lats, then both teams try to find it without getting killed. ok-ok, A bit far fetched. ummm...is it too late to change my stats now that I know theres female cachers in here? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-29-2001).]

Guest nekosoft

25 year old male, not married - but attached. Barely athletic. I run a warehouse. No kids, but we've got three guinea pigs, a hedgehog, a frog, a newt, a fish, a rat and three hermit crabs.

--

nekosoft

Guest Quinnow

Did you say warehouse or petstore? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by nekosoft:

25 year old male, not married - but attached. Barely athletic. I run a warehouse. No kids, but we've got three guinea pigs, a hedgehog, a frog, a newt, a fish, a rat and three hermit crabs.

--

nekosoft

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

Did you say warehouse or petstore? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by nekosoft:

--

nekosoft

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest fogette

What a great topic to find on my first day. UPS delivered my emap today and I just registered!

40 year old non-athletic female about to drag even less athletic hubby outside!

We used to cruise state parks, hope this will get us back in the habit.

------------------

fogette

www.wheresgeorge.com

Guest RyckZ

Notice how the "older" GeoCachers came out of the woodwork as this thread progressed?

Ok I've been here half a century. In pretty good shape, and keep fairly active. I snow ski well and snow board a little. Have inlines that I need to use more. Swim in summer and play on jetski, (more of a workout than some might imagine, and can't wait to place next cache on an island using ski.

I just never quite catch up with my chronological age. Hopefully never will.