Your favorite kind of hunt

C&S Huffers

icon_smile.gif

What do you look for when choosing a hunt (not what is in the cache). Lets say a percentage of each.

Difficulty

Imagination

multiple

Placement

Length

Area

What unusual thing makes a certain cache sti

ck in your mind and say if I ever do one I'll make sure it has this one thing. I have the area and the time.........but many people like different things...if I can combine my thoughts with yours it could be almost perfect.

icon_biggrin.gif

Treat every CACHE you find..... .like it's Yours

When looking for a cache I look for one I can actually do. Boat, scuba, mountain climbing, etc are out. I look at logs to see what problems others have encountered. That eliminates some.

Sometimes I read one and it just grabs me. Like Doc Ott's A Trip Around the Country (GCA024). Challenging to solve but fit in with my abilities to do.

But usually just one I can fit into my schedule.

There is no single thing that makes a cache more or less interesting to us. We love multis, caches with puzzles, math equations to solve, compass bearings to follow, and other things like that. A long hike in a beautiful area is equally fun. There have been alot of 1/1 caches that weve really enjoyed as well. When it comes right down to it, it pretty much depends on the location and/or how much effort the cache hider put into his/her cache in the first place.

I really like caches that are out in the GREAT OUTDOORS...e.g. mountain lakes, tops of peaks, etc. I love the exercise part of it. The hunt can be easy up there.

Closer to home, I like a variety of caches, but seem to especially like ones that take me to new places that I never knew about. I'm not particular to the difficulty. it's all relative anyway...a one star cache might be a five star cache to another cacher. It happens to all of us.

I have only encountered 1 cache that I did not thoroughly enjoy and that one was partly due to my attitude that day. I like them all so far. I guess if I had to choose it would be ones that were very clever or required a good amount of thought and preparation. The ones hidden in plain site in a very busy place come to mind. There is no comparison to the rush one gets when stealthily retrieving a cache that's in plain site of the muggles. You have the added pressure of not revealing and ruining the cache owners hard work. My worst fear is to be the last finder on a lost cache. I should have been a spy. icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif

A day without sunshine is like ...night.

A lot of great input. I guess (with out giving away the whole idea) would be a multi-cashe in a large forested area with the last coordinates being back to your car or truck. Also there must be a better way to hide the package than on the gorund covered with leaves and sticks, or in a dead tree log. Any Ideas about that? Thinking about a hint that makes one think and figure out just where it is. Ex. Hint.... you kneed to know.......would tell you it was about knee high. Kind of interesting whan you start thinking about makeing your own. I'm in Michigan so I would place it in March or when all this snow goes away. I like anything that makes you think.

icon_biggrin.gif

Treat every CACHE you find..... .like it's Yours

quote:
I always wonder what somebody found special enough about a location to put a cache in it when it's being overlooks by 5 apartments or a parkinglot.

So did I until I did some this weekend. These were both very open, in fact I could see the ammo cans from 10-20 feet away. The challenge was not finding the can, it was retreiving, logging and returning it without being "caught".

Ill still go after these, particularly if they have a puzzle to get to the spot (as these did), but I prefer the good hike to a beautiful spot.

WindChill

1.Creativity

2.Placement

We enjoy creativity the most. The unique and diffrent caches are the ones you remember and talk about with other cachers for months. Placement is usually location. One example might be, if its a simple box at the base of a tree, it had better be some place with a view or at least a theme cache. Something besides a box put any old where.

Ive found plenty of difficult caches lately, micros mostly. For some people thats there thing. They do the NY Times crossword puzzle every sunday. For us, there is a fine line between difficult and tedious.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

I tend to pick caches to hunt based on whether they happen to be where I want to be at any given time. So, maybe I want to go caching, but have little time... then I pick close by easy caches. Maybe I want a hike... then I pick one of those. Sometimes something unique about a cache or the presence of a TB will take me there. Too many variables.

With that said, my favorite caches have been the ones that surprised me because they took me somewhere neat that I didn't know was there! In most cases I picked the hunt for a different reason, but the experience of the area surprised me and made it great!

The one cache I have hidden had that in mind. I placed it on an Audubon owned prairie (with permission) that people tend to not know about. The place has some great history and finding the cache involves a nice, but not overly difficult hike.

pokeanim3.gif

I'm just thrilled to get off of the couch and into the outdoors. I guess my preference would be for something that takes me to the ocean or up a mountain, but I did one in the heart of downtown Boston that was just as cool.

---------------

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

I like hunts that teach me Orienteering, not just putting some Coordinates and following the arrow to a cache.

I like cache that teach me how to use not only a GPS but also a compass and maps. when I first started caching i used a detailed street map bookof the Mobile county area i got from my uncle that worked for the gas company and a compass. yes, it proved to be very hard to find alot of caches but the ones i did find are much more Special to me than the ones i found with a GPS. if you can find a street map book with grid lines and coordinates, you will also need a small (mm) ruler(the type of ruler depends on the scall your map is drawn to), a compass, pencil. you will have to do some math to sharpen your coordinates when you get down to one quadrant on the map. use your Gps to make sure you are on the right track if you want but when you find your first you will not only thank god for that GPS, you will appreciate that find more. I DARE YOU TO TRY IT YOURSELF. start with one you think should be an easy find. i found twelve back home in mobile alabama like this before i got a GPS. good luck and god bless.oh! and happy hunting.

Take me someplace special, away from throngs of people and especially away from traffic. Give me something to puzzle out all week before I get there, but when I get there, let it be a place of beauty.

I haven't found a cache like this yet.

I've met the breathtakingly interesting puzzle on one cache, but when I solved it and found out that it would have taken me to a sketchy urban neighborhood, I declined to finish it.

I specifically hunt for geocaches that get me into our local mountains. I really enjoy the ones where I have to hike to and if that means a six mile round trip for one cache, then I'm as a happy as a kid on Christmas morning. I generally don't look at terrain difficulty, but the more challenging, the better. Urban geocaching and park and grabs ... not for me, although I occasionally do them if I'm with another geocacher.

Whoo Hoo!! Another blast from the past!

I've never really evaluated the process involved. Might take some pondering...

I guess the biggest "grabber" for me is the hider. Experience has taught me which locals hide the types of caches that appeal the most to my particular bias. When one of those folks hide a cache, I'm on it like ugly on a Riffster. The commonalities with their caches include: A great write up, an interesting locale, a quality container, physical and mental challenges, etc. Their caches create highly memorable experiences, and I try to emulate that in my own hides.

Oh boy this is an oldy moldy thread......

I perfer scenic caches with regular size containers and a small hike.

Ha, I would have never noticed. Thanks for the heads up. :lol: I like caches the way most of them were when this thread was started. A full-sized container in the woods that you're probably going to find when you get there.

That's it, plain and simple. Despite the fact I have more multi-cache finds than most Geocachers, including many with thousands of more finds then me. Gimme a 3/4 mile round-trip to a stand alone ammo box traditional just off a hiking trail, and I'm good every time.

There are a lot of things we consider in deciding to look for a cache. I guess the prime consideration is location. There are some areas of my metro area I WILL NOT GO TO. Like downtown Phoenix. Like downtown Tempe. Like known pickle parks. There are also certain cachers whose caches I will not look for. I wont name names, but there is one who played a mind game on some of us on one of his caches. It wasnt funny. It was outright nasty. I will not look for his stuff again. Of course I look at the terrain of a cache. I cant climb those mountain trails, although Mike can. I try to filter out caches that I think will provide entertainment, in the hide or in the location.

I like caches that take me to interesting places or offer a nice hike. A nice description or an interesting name will get my attention. A hide that leaves me looking for too long will lose my attention. A puzzle that involves higher math, computer programming skills, or obscure codes with no logical connection will go straight to my ignore list. A letterbox that has a creative use of clues is always fun. A Wherigo that tells a story with a fair hide at the end goes on my to do list. Virtuals and earthcaches are always must dos.

Edited by Erickson

I'm a total n00b and from the city, but I must say that so far I am really enjoying caches that are well hidden in high traffic areas. Clever camo is awesome.

I guess I like the idea of finding something that a million people have walked by without even noticing...

For me, thats the coolest part. It's like we are in on the secret or something.

CJ will go for anything. She has fun trying to find the micros (nanos!) wherever they may be.

Sometimes I think she's just better suited to those types.

How long you think this bearded old fart could hang around a small park before the cops are called ? :rolleyes:

I'm a bit more simple. Give me a hike, bike, paddle or climb away from people and I'm good.

Prefer a 3+ in terrain, with hopefully a 2.5 or less in difficulty. I want to work, not think.

CJ's getting pretty good with rope now, so instead of being the photographer/gopher, she may participate too.

CJ will go for anything. She has fun trying to find the micros (nanos!) wherever they may be.

Sometimes I think she's just better suited to those types.

How long you think this bearded old fart could hang around a small park before the cops are called ? :rolleyes:

I'm a bit more simple. Give me a hike, bike, paddle or climb away from people and I'm good.

Prefer a 3+ in terrain, with hopefully a 2.5 or less in difficulty. I want to work, not think.

CJ's getting pretty good with rope now, so instead of being the photographer/gopher, she may participate too.

Perfect way to describe how I feel sometimes.

I think all the time. What I need is to exercise my body, not necessarily my brain.

I'm a total n00b and from the city, but I must say that so far I am really enjoying caches that are well hidden in high traffic areas. Clever camo is awesome.

I guess I like the idea of finding something that a million people have walked by without even noticing...

For me, thats the coolest part. It's like we are in on the secret or something.

I second that (or would it be third that :rolleyes: )

1. A location I would probably enjoy visiting even if there were no cache there, but I would not likely find on my own. (Show me your local gems!)

2. A cache I can find without an excessive search. Something I as a Geocacher will notice, but non-Geocachers will overlook. (Anybody can create a cache that will be tough/nearly impossible to find, the art is in making it obvious to cachers and not so obvious to those other people.)