Mapsend

I have a Magellan Map 330, in the map send software on the tool bar at the top there is a compass icon you use to measure distances. At the bottom of the page is a milage marker that tells you a certain distance equals so many miles. If you set two waypoints from east to west and then use the compass icon to measure the distance the milage marker is right on, but if you set two waypoints from north to south the marker is way off, why would this be?

Try zooming in as close as possible and count the little squares. You will see it works correctly. I think you are assuming that the larger grid squares are equal sided. I took a ruler and held it next to my screen and it appears normal.

Maybe I'm not seeing what you are, try to be more specific and I'll try it and report back.

Hey thanks for the reply Cashew Nut, I will try to explain a little better. If you place a waypoint on mapsend then place a another waypopint 10 miles to the south of the first waypoint using the compass icon on the tool bar it says there 10 miles apart, but if you get a ruler and measure it using the mile marker thing at the bottom of the page it is always off when there north to south. There right though when the 2 waypoints are east to west.

[This message was edited by mdmax371 on July 06, 2002 at 11:50 AM.]

not wanting to exactly test this, It appears that the mapsend product squeezes east and west (or streches north and south). This is corrected in the unit though and only happens when viewing them on the computer.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.