How many times have you contracted poison oak/ivy since geocaching?

Guest barefoot

Guest bunkerdave

I had my first experience with stinging nettle a few weeks ago. I can't imagine there is a worse weed, and if there is, I pray I will never feel its wrath. That nettle had to be the worst itch I ever had in my life.

Guest barefoot

I've never run into stinging nettles before (knock on wood), but my girlfriend did a few weeks back. It turns out that one of the best things to stop the itch is the juices from the plant iself, FYI. I didn't know that, but wish I did.

Guest logscaler

takes more. I am lucky, I do not get poison oak. Had a massive dose as a kid, swelled up like a ball park frank and since then, nothing. Try those ferns bunkerdave and let me know. Myself, as Moun10bike can attest to, I HATE DEVILS CLUB!!!!! dadgum stuff.

Guest Silver

LOL. I usually get about one case a month from either poison oak or stinging nettles. I have had more encounters after starting geocaching than I have gotten previously in my entire lifetime of hiking.

Go bushwackers! (Seriously, stay on the trails, never touch a plant, avoid anything with three leaves. icon_smile.gif) Darn Red Brick Road cache!

Silver

Guest Hard Slate

This is my first case since starting geocaching.Actually my first in several years, I was begining to think I became immune to the stuff or something,oh well, just wishful thinking I guess.

I came in from geocaching on the fourth, late as usual,and forgot to wash up.Gotta pay if you want to play.

Guest Snowtrail

Hard Slate, which one did you get it from? From what I've seen, the IVY is at all of the sites near us. I've run into it 4 times this year, while wearing capri pants, shorts, barefeet even and have yet to get it. I had it really badly as a child, under the eye lids, in the lungs and such and made a deal with satan to never get it again. So far I haven't...

Guest Robereno

About every other year I get a bad case of poison oak. I guess after time goes by I forget how bad it was and then get careless.

Speaking of itchy rashes, when I lived in Okalahoma we used to get something called Chiggers. Man, they?re a lot of fun.

Guest Exocet

I and some friends walked through/around some at a cache we created along the Columbia Gorge area of Oregon. Fortunately, though, we were either very deft at avoiding the Poison Oak or we were very lucky. None of us got any rash. Soon after, though, I bought some Tecnu and bring it along with me when I go hiking now.

Guest Hard Slate

Snbowtrail, digging around looking for the 'octopus garden'cussing 'AT'the whole way(he hid it last).It's in the same park with 'urban get-away'.

The poison ivey isn't too bad, couple small spots on my legs, the one that gets me is on the back of my neck, don't ask me how!

Guest Snowtrail

Back of the neck ummm... seems that you touched it then touched your neck. Washed your hands, but the oils were still on your neck.

Ivy stinks cuz if it's oils touch a non-poisonous plant, that plant will take on the itchy ivy's characteristics.

I hate Chiggers! mad.gif I seem to get them every time we go out they crawl up pant legs. Now I keep clear fingernail polish with me in the car to put on them so when I notice them I can suffocate them fast.

I have gotten Poison Ivy once since we have started caching, now if it is mentioned in the logs or cache description I avoid that cache.

Maat

Guest Prime Suspect

Never. Sensitivity to poison ivy/oak/sumac is acquired, not innate. If you don't come in contact with it in your youth (like me), you've got about 50/50 odds that, as an adult, you will never become sensitized to it. The younger you are at first contact, the more sensitive you will be to it, though it will decrease somewhat with age. BTW -

most people have no idea when their first contact was, since they developed no symptoms. It's only on your second contact that the rash and itching will appear.

Guest rusty

Never, never, never answer natures call when you have poison ivy on your hands! Nothing yet has been more embarassing than going to the doctor becuase you have a rash, down there, in the shape of a red hand print icon_redface.gif

Since that time about 10 years ago I've never had any reaction to it.

Rusty...

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

Darn Red Brick Road cache!

All right, all right, I'M SORRY!!! icon_smile.gif

At least I put warnings in the Red Brick Road Cache description -- I'll have to do the same for the Hanna Flats and Roosevelt Grove caches! Or maybe I'll just do a "Tour of Northwest Pesky Weeds Cache" and call it good! icon_wink.gif

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

25H/56F/3C/2S/2X

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 10 July 2001).]

Guest DParesh

AAARRRHHHGGG!!! I REALY hate the misc. poison plants. I seem get itchy eyes a lot in the summer and when I go tromping around in the woods, I manage to get the oil on my hands/fingers, then rub my eyes. I've had to go to the doctor's office several times 'cause my eyes start swelling shut! I got a case of poison something when I went caching on July 4th. It started to show up on Thursday afternoon, and now is in full swing, and spreading. I think I'm do for another trip for a shot or something icon_smile.gif

Ron

Guest Mike_Teague

Itchy eyes swelling shut, etc. etc.. Sounds more like a pollen allergy (******* grasses knock me out -- As a teen, I once came home after walking thru a field of tall grass and my mom couldn't recognize me -- she said I looked like I'd been boxing).. Christ that was the worst experience with an allergy I've had.. uncontrollable sneezing/drooling/watering eyes, face swelling up, etc... But after a heavy dose of OTC antihistamine and an hour or so, and I was fine...

But, more to the subject.. I once had an experience with poison oak when I was about 12 at summer camp in the San Bernadino mountains of socal -- I remember the counselors saying "leaves of three, let 'em be".. I never touched any plants, but ended up with the rash right after coming home -- secondary contact evidently..

Oddly enough I have not had to tolerate anything more than mosquitos since then, and all of my hiking/camping is off-trail, full-on bushwacking.. I guess I'm just lucky!

Guest barefoot

Oddly enough I have not had to tolerate anything more than mosquitos since then, and all of my hiking/camping is off-trail, full-on bushwacking.. I guess I'm just lucky!

"Yes, you are" he mumbles and drools through swollen, blistery lips.

Guest Cache-potato

never had any ill effects, be it ivy, oak or sumac. just as long as I don't eat a shrimp or lobster on the way to a cache I will be OK

Guest brokenwing

All you Northerners should count your blessings that you don't have fire ants up there! Nasty little critters whose bite raises a very itchy blister. I have the unfortunate luck to be allergic to them as well. More than a couple of bites, and my whole body swells up like a balloon! icon_frown.gif Given a choice, I'd take the poison plants anyday!

Brokenwing

Guest ClayJar

face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brokenwing:

All you Northerners should count your blessings that you don't have fire ants up there! Nasty little critters whose bite raises a very itchy blister.

You forgot the one teeny detail about fire ants: There can't be only one. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 10 July 2001).]

Guest barefoot

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Given a choice between fire ants and poison plants, I'm somewhat depressed that I have both (and who knows, maybe killer bees before too, too long).

Shoot, that's probably just the tip of the iceberg around your parts, right Clayjar? icon_smile.gif Isn't Baton Rouge all humid and swampy? Scary dangerous life loves conditions like that! icon_wink.gif You probably have all sorts of things to steer clear of when looking for treasure.

Guest ClayJar

If a Cajun can cook it, it can't be all bad, can it? icon_wink.gif When it comes to hazards...

Poison plants

And fire ants

Are far the worst of them

The buggy swamp

Where gators romp

Is just a pretty gem

(Why did I just wax poetic about outdoor hazards around here? I have no idea.)

Guest Quinnow

I have seen what poison Ivy has done to people before, and it isn't a very pretty site. But for some reason that I am not sure of, the stuff doesn't do anything to me. I could wear shorts with no shirt and roll around in it for days and nodda! But if my brother even reads about it in books he breaks out. Kinda strange. This is a very Important topic for people who are not used to going off trails into the woods or fields. It should be made public that you will want to view some pictures of Ivy's so you know what you are getting yourself into!

I don't want to see any kids stepping in it and then rubbing their eyes or to that sorts.

If you guys know of people that are new to the sport, make sure you contact them and explain these things as " On the top of things to watch for list"

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest xanthari

My Brother-In-Law is very allergic to Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac .... so when he goes hiking/camping we bring along a spray bottle with a 3:1 water:bleach solution (yeah just houshold bleach) if you get into some Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac just spray down with it as soon as possible and it keeps the reaction to a min. (this is basically a diluted version of what we used as a decon agent in the military for "blister" agents) ... the best advice I can give is always wear long pants and long sleeves when moving through unfamiliar wooded areas (I wear my old OG-107s) even in the summertime (it can actually keep you a little cooler as long as its not heavy clothing) ... as for stinging nettles I have had a little succes with putting a paste made out of meat tenderizer on it (same with jellyfish) sometimes I add a little baking soda if its on hand..havnt tried using liquid from the plant stems but if I ever get in it again I'll give that a shot.

X

Guest adventuretom

Hard Slate. The front path to the garden has a lot of Ivy, but not the poison kind. You must have done the bushwhack through the back method! I picked up a small case on my right hand from Off the Beaten Path. I think it was from digging around for it. Unfortunately I see loads of it everywhere now.

Guest kymike

I just was told of a over the counter product that is supposed to be the ticket for poison ivy. Its called "TechNu" I believe. I haven't actually seen or used it, but if it works the way it was described, its just what the doctor ordered.(excuse the pun)

Guest Gossamyrrh

I've got a persistent case of poison ivy on the back of my left leg...two spots, right where the skin meets when you bend your leg.

Like Texas, it gets *really* hot and humid here....so I would rather just put-up-and-shut-up....and cover myself in calamine lotion.

Guest glcanon

The best medicine is to avoid the stuff: poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumack, and caches placed near these plants.

Problem is, so many of the caches here in Texas are hidden around these plants, or you have to bushwack thru tons to scrub to get to the cache. Dumb!

These plants can incapacitate you for a week or more, and leave scars. One ounce of the active agent in these plants is enough to infect 5 billion people, nearly the entire population of the planet. And contrary to popular belief, if you've had an infection before, you are likely more susceptible to future infections. The stuff I took after my last infection costed $40/oz. That's incentive enough for me to avoid dumb caches and poison plants.

Personally, I think caches hidden in such places are idiotic. Lord knows what the hider was thinking (no common sense).

Avoid ALL three leaf plants if in doubt. You won't regret it.

Guest Anton

Greetings!

Well not poisoin ivy, oak or sumac, but some kind of temporary rash (24 hrs) caused by a variety of weed with tiny scratchy thorns that left red stripes up and down my legs, some of which turned into the rash...or maybe hives - not sure.

So why did this happen? Because I let the game get to me, when I should have skipped the hunt for lack of long pants. Doh! Okay, so I learned the lesson: always wear long pants for geocaching. No exceptions!

Anton, 10H/10F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest PharoaH

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Teague:

Itchy eyes swelling shut, etc. etc.. Sounds more like a pollen allergy (******* grasses knock me out -- As a teen, I once came home after walking thru a field of tall grass and my mom couldn't recognize me -- she said I looked like I'd been boxing)..

It may sound like it, but it isn't. My wife is allergic to Poison Oak/Sumac/Ivy to the point that it affects her breathing and her eyes. Just walking through an area with Poison plants nearby can distress her. We carry Benadryl on the trail at all times - it helps quite a bit.
Guest Cape Cod Cache

I haven't had it in years, I keep my eyes open and wear long pants and sox. I have moved a cache that had a nice spring growth around it and warned of a surrounded trail for another... Too bad it turned people off to it, great blueberries there too this year. I DID spray a bit of the stuff when I last checked it though

Guest PharoaH

Of the not quite 2 dozen caches we've hunted in Georgia, I can't remember one where we haven't seen poison. We always wear long pants and lately we pack long sleeve shirts in the backpack. I would rather sweat in the heat and humidity down here than itch for a week or two! We always shower and scrub clean with dial soap as soon as we get home. The clothes and even the towels and washcloths go into the laundry immediately. I am less sensitive to the stuff, so I handle the "poison laundry". An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - now that's an understatement.

Guest glcanon

It's easy for all you Northern Yanks to say "wear long pants and long sleeves." Ever try geocaching for a couple miles in 100+ degrees heat with 97% humidity!

It's no fun.

To the hiders -- GET A CLUE! NO POISON PLANTS! HIDE WITH SAFETY IN MIND!

Guest poppyseed

This is tangentially related... I was out hiking at Bull Run the other day and saw a tree that I SWEAR looked like a poison ivy tree. Now this just can't be. It wasn't a vine of ivy on a regular tree, and it wasn't a shrub - this was a branchy, large deciduous tree with leaves clustered in threes that looked exactly like poison ivy (a plant I am quite familiar with, lamentably). I can't remember what kind of bark the tree had - not overly rough nor overly smooth, gray-brown, but no other details. As I said, it was a large tree, bigger than a large cherry but with many stout branches, several of which dipped out over the water. Any clue what this tree was?

As for other nasties - in North Carolina there seem to be an abundance of cow killers. Saw one last weekend. Lovely velvety red bug that looks like a whopping big (one inch) ant. It's actually a wingless wasp, female, and has a vicious sting, I'm told. In fact, it has one of the longest stingers of all stinging insects, and wasps can sting multiple times without dying. It's tough as nails so hard to crunch. Frequents sandy areas, particularly river banks and other leafy, sandy places a cache might hide. Range is all over the mid-Atlantic and south, extending to southwest. So be careful! It got its name because the sting is supposedly wicked enough to drop a cow, though that's just a myth.

Someone mentioned a prep of meat tenderizer/baking soda for jellyfish stings and stinging nettles, but the same preparation is good for wasp stings.

Guest bearboy

What the heck are Stinging Nettles? Are they in Michigan? I went to a cache last weekend in Lansing Michigan(Spartan Cache).I wandered off the trail to find the cache when all of the sudden I ran into some leafy plants that were just stinging the @##$%% out me.The pain was excruciating.I wanted to cry like a baby.I didnt cry but I found the cache and got the heck out of there.I didnt break out from the stings but I did have a few dozen bumps on my legs.I did see some Poisin Ivy in the area also.I avoided that stuff.It seemed like I itched for about 10-15 minutes after the incident.I have had severe allergies all my life so I was on my Claritan and Rhinocort.Thank God.

Guest CharlieP

I encounter poison ivy on almost every cache search I do here in the metro Atlanta area, the stuff is everywhere. I usually wear shorts (it gets hot here) but luckily, I am not very sensitive to the stuff, and the worst effect so far has been a rash on my leg that did not itch and went away in a day. I try to avoid damaging the plants as I brush pass, I think the poison is released in greater quantity if the plant is crushed. I have had a bigger problem with ticks and chiggers. It seems that any wooded location here where there are deer, will have ticks and chiggers.

Guest PharoaH

quote:
Originally posted by glcanon:

It's easy for all you Northern Yanks to say "wear long pants and long sleeves." Ever try geocaching for a couple miles in 100+ degrees heat with 97% humidity!

It's no fun.

To the hiders -- GET A CLUE! NO POISON PLANTS! HIDE WITH SAFETY IN MIND!

I live and cache around Hotlanta, Georgia and we almost always wear long pants. Sure, its not as balmy as Houston, but its hot nonetheless. The mistake many make is wearing jeans. Cotton is terrible when you're hot and sweaty, it just soaks all the sweat up and clings to you. Find some lighter long pants, maybe like the old "parachute pants".

Also remember that some caches are placed in the winter when poison plants aren't active. Someone just can't tell if there's going to be poison ivy in a certain place three months into the future.

Remember, you have to deal with mother nature if you're going to play in her back yard.

Guest dustystar

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

Just started and allready have some posion ivy rashes. Anyone try that ivy block stuff? Does it work?

My wife and I put ivy block on and ran a 16 mile loop around Giant City park in S. Illinois - with shorts. Can't say it worked, can't say it didn't but after cleaning up well, no trace of a rash. icon_wink.gif