Not a good sign for our sport....

Interesting article I just read this AM. It doesnt look good for us...

slashdot article

For those too lazy, here's a summary.

"The U.S. government may be degrading GPS satellite signals, to cripple Iraqi forces' ability to use those systems during the war. This could potentially reduce accuracy from ~3 meters to over ~100 meters. Users depending on GPS systems may want to do sanity checks on any data returned by those systems during the war. The U.S. will do this by increasing the inaccuracies on the civilian C/A code, turning back on S/A (Selective Availability), by having the satellites deliberately and randomly return inaccurate information on where they are. S/A degrades GPS accuracy to only 100 meters 95 percent of the time and 300 meters the other 5 percent of the time. This will not effect the military P code."

If you had a hard time finding caches before, you aint seen nothin' yet icon_wink.gif

And someone made a post here not long ago saying S/A probably wooule not be turned on since they now have the ability to selectively block areas from getting any valid signal, so who knows what is going to happen.

Anyway, no need to worry, we just widen out the search circle!

If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?

It's not quite an "article". It looks like a post from a Slashdot.com user who knows as much about the subject as anyone in these forums. The government has stated specifically that they will not turn on SA during a war. I may be naive, but I take their word over that of some anonymous poster to a message board.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

It should be noted that the only source of information for the article is a German auto club. I don't typically turn to the AAA when looking for information on military activities.

-----

Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.

My son promises it will only take a few days at most. If it is for his safety, and for the safety of every soldier over there, I will give up caching for a few days.

Good time to go see that movie you have been thinking about. As long as it isn't by any of the war protesters, the dixie duds, or has any french in it.

There, that should have stirred the pot.

Can I claim the troll-find on myself???

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

My son promises it will only take a few days at most. If it is for his safety, and for the safety of every soldier over there, I will give up caching for a few days.

I know this is going waaaaaay off topic now, but Desert_Warrior, and anyone else who has family out there, I'm sure all our thoughts will be with you (and the brave souls out there, of course) over the coming X amount of time.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It's not quite an "article". It looks like a post from a Slashdot.com user who knows as much about the subject as anyone in these forums. The government has stated specifically that they will not turn on SA during a war. I may be naive, but I take their word over that of some anonymous poster to a message board.

_"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill_

If I was a self respecting government (and I hope to own a small island one day) I'd lie about my intent with S/A. If I could get my enemy to use it, then degrade it with NO notice. All the better for my armed forces.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

What about WAAS? IF, and I mean IF they mess with our GPS signals, I wonder if WAAS will help us at all?

Good question. I have never enabled WAAS since the manual says it saves power to not use it.