GeoCache Date Forum?

WVDan

Can't there be a social place where guys aren't trying to pick up girls?

It sets off my gag reflex every time there's a "damsel in distress" on the forums, and two dozen cacher dudes jump in to "save the day". I know what they're thinking.

Just because a girl likes geocaching, it doesn't mean that she's going to magically put up with all the crap that a male cacher (or any male for that matter) dishes out.

Blah blah blah.

I think that you're missing most of the fun of geocaching if you want to have a relationship with another cacher....The entire basis behind this activity is to annoy the heck out of your partner by constantly leaving on a cache hunt, or badgering them to go with you, or better yet, making them stop every five minutes on a ten hour drive to go grab a cache.... icon_wink.gif

Without that, it just wouldn't be geocaching.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Why does every single activity have to boil down to men hitting on women, or in some cases the other way around?

I seriously would not like to see an official Geocaching Dating forum. It just feels like it would introduce an element of cheapness.

But if you're that hard up, you could always organize a geocaching picnic in your area and use that to hit on the ladies.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

It sets off my gag reflex every time there's a "damsel in distress" on the forums, and two dozen cacher dudes jump in to "save the day". I know what they're thinking.

Actually, some of us think the exact opposite of what you know we're thinking.

A while ago, Fallenfaery asked for some local help. I was eager to jump at the chance to help out a neocacher. The gender issue never entered my brain until the Mrs. pointed out that I'd be taking a young woman that I didn't know out into the forest - alone.

We invited another local cacher to come along, and he brought his young son. That made it safer for everyone involved. But either Fallenfaery or I could have gotten into some trouble had we not both been the wonderful people we are.

Back on topic, though. Nah - no specific dating forum. I think it would only be populated by men looking for geocaching women. Just go to the local events and see what happens. Or better yet, find another venue to find companions and take them Geocaching for a date. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

The gender issue never entered my brain until the Mrs. pointed out that I'd be taking a young woman that I didn't know out into the forest - alone.

We invited another local cacher to come along, and he brought his young son. That made it safer for everyone involved.

I don't get it. Why was it your wife's responsibility to "look out for the welfare" of the female geocacher? If the young woman had felt uncomfortable, couldn't she have made her own arrangements to bring a "chaperone?"

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

The gender issue never entered my brain until the Mrs. pointed out that I'd be taking a young woman that I didn't know out into the forest - alone.

We invited another local cacher to come along, and he brought his young son. That made it safer for everyone involved.

I don't get it. Why was it your wife's responsibility to "look out for the welfare" of the female geocacher? If the young woman had felt uncomfortable, couldn't she have made her own arrangements to bring a "chaperone?"

Perhaps she was looking out for Markwell's welfare, for the same reason that I always asked my wife to take the babysitter home. It's not that something would happen, it's that it's so hard to prove that it didn't.

warm.gif

I have posted my GeoPersonal ad twice previously in the forums, and have gotten no responses. Which only goes to show, that female geocachers have LOTS more good sense! So, maybe the third time's the charm:

MY WAYPOINT OR YOURS?

SWM geocacher seeking SWF geocacher with compatible lat./long. coordinates. Likes: anything UNIX, The Discovery Channel, pocket protectors, 17th-century poetry. Dislikes: loud music, crowds. Favorite cache items: Happy Meal Toys, circuit boards, unusual lint.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

If you really feel the need to have a "GEO Dating" forum, why not just start your own YAHOO group. Then you can add a link to it in your signature line. If anyone is interested they can click on the link, and it doesn't waste space on the geocaching.com servers.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erat,

tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Perhaps she was looking out for Markwell's welfare ...

Apparently, she's not the only one. icon_wink.gif

quote:

It's not that something would happen, it's that it's so hard to prove that it didn't.

Nah, I think these days it's pretty hard to make a false accusation stick. Those forensic techs do impressive work.

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, or maybe it's just the circumstances of the people I know, but out here I don't really notice gender being an issue in friendships/activities.

quote:

Perhaps she was looking out for Markwell's welfare, for the same reason that I always asked my wife to take the babysitter home. It's not that something would happen, it's that it's so hard to prove that it didn't.

Ding-ding-ding. On the nosey! In no way an afront to Fallenfaery, but if it had been a creepy girl with some screws loose, we could have had a wonderful day caching together - and two days later I'm hauled off by the police because the fictional girl I cached with claims I did something nasty to her.

Having another couple of people there means that nothing would happen AND nothing that didn't happen would happen.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

This is a tough topic. Most people that are against some sort of dating geocache forum, most likely have a partner in life. I see nothing wrong with such a forum. People that don't like it or are not interested in it, simply just don't have to read any of the messages in the forum.

I am a single 35 year old dad (easy going and with a kind heart) who lost my wife a couple years ago to cancer icon_frown.gif, and I would like nothing more than to find a kind hearted down to earth woman that shares similar interests as myself, which includes geocaching. Out of my 140 finds (since I started at the beginning of November), only 1 I have done on my own. Almost always I take my son with me (130 finds with my 5 year old son), but I it sure would be nice to share my cache hunts with a woman. Hmm, I didn't intend this to be an ad, but why not icon_wink.gif. Anyone out there or know of someone?

Anyways, my point is, if it just brings one set of people together, or in some way introduces someone knew to geocaching, then I feel such a forum has been worthwhile. And I don't think it necessarily has to be a dating forum, but perhaps just a forum for people looking to get out to do a cache or two on a weekend, etc. And if by chance they happen to be a man and woman and they wind up spending their life together, then GREAT!

Well, that is my opinion on the matter. I am not saying I am for or against it, but I do have an open mind towards the idea of such a forum.

Ralph

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

I think the forum isn't a bad idea. And this is coming from a female. It doesn't have to be a pickup spot. Why can't it just be a place for singles to come talk with other singles about an awesome hobby. It could be a place to post about singles geocache events & such. I've been online for over 10 years and have met quite a few very good friends by way of the net. People shouldn't be so quick to blow off this idea as to just people who are 'that hard up'. It's a great medium for meeting others with your same interests, which sometimes isn't all that easy hanging out at the local bar/club scene. I would enjoy the chance to meet other single geocache guys. If I don't like them I can easily ignore them, give us gals some credit. In the other forums it's hard to tell if someone is single or not, and from what I see it seems most are already hitched. They get to talk about their spouses & how they cache together. Why not give the singles the same opportunity?

---------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

http://www.kjjeep.com

Well after reading some of the other people's response to this I dont think it would "Hurt" to have such a forum here. The rest of us who dont agree on it just can ignore the discussion. I know I really only ready three of the dozen groups of discussions on this forum site.

I'll change my vote to yes. But I would suggest someone keep a eye on it for imature post.

I think its a great idea! I'm not single, but if I were, i think it would be a good way to meet others. One could get tired of hanging out in the grocery store produce isle waiting for someone to introduce themselves. icon_frown.gif I also see nothing wrong with having their own forum. I don't read the Switzerland forums......and yet they havn't irritated me one bit! icon_biggrin.gif

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
Originally posted by MTU_Cache_Spot:

I think that you're missing most of the fun of geocaching if you want to have a relationship with another cacher....The entire basis behind this activity is to annoy the heck out of your partner by constantly leaving on a cache hunt, or badgering them to go with you, or better yet, making them stop every five minutes on a ten hour drive to go grab a cache....

Funny, i just did that this past weekend. 10 caches found on a trip to California for a funeral.

There are plenty of guys (and occasionally a female or two in #geocache...

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

I've been reading about women in geocaching and I think it'd be a cool idea to have a forum for getting together on dates with single geocachers of the opposite sex.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Kid-carrying cacher