Forest Service

Guest KF Quad Explorer

Guest KF Quad Explorer

Just wondering if anybody has had any problems with the Forest Service in leaving caches in the woods or if they have a problem with people going into the National Forests looking for caches? Our Forest managers seem to be a little concerned.

How are they concerned?

Are they muttering about impact and litter, or are they posting signs/warnings/rules?

We haven't hidden enough in my area to gain local attention.

[This message has been edited by fiser (edited 02-19-2001).]

Guest swangner

I haven't heard of any problems yet. I was concerned at the beginning about the environmental impact as well. However, it seems that most (if not all) geocachers are very responsible people. Most are saying "take out more than you take in", i.e., pick up some garbage and carry it out with you when you go on a hunt. Forest Service people should actually be happy about that.

As far as hiding caches go, as long as we don't hide anything dangerous, keep the caches relatively small, and use air/watertight containers, and don't hide food in them (food would attract animals, since they have a better sense of smell than humans do), I think we should be OK.

If you've met Forest Service people who have concerns, my best advice would be to simply talk to them about it, and explain.