Most Watched Cache

RocketMan

After reading this thread, I was wondering about which caches are the most watched. I didn’t see where this topic was discussed before, but I am sure Markwell will prove me wrong. The most watched cache that I remember seeing was the Outdoor Nevada Geocache #3 - Creepy Cache. At last check, it had 23 accounts watching it.

I know that some people watch every cache that they visit, so the most visited caches will tend to have the most watchers. In my case, I will watch a cache if I find it particularly challenging or interesting because I want to read about other geocachers experiences in finding the cache. I therefore think that the most watched caches are the ones that are the most interesting and frequently visited. Would looking for a most watched cache in an area, be a good way to select a good cache to hunt for?

RM

I think this is a great question, and can't recall having seen it before, though I'm sure someone will Markwell us.

I use the number of watchers as an indicator of a quality cache. So far, it's never led me astray. I've enjoyed each cache with a high watchlist count. More than five watchers is pretty good in my area. I consider it a badge of honor that my 4/2.5 multicache has 7 watchers and my beginner's 2/2 park cache has 5 watchers. The most I've seen around western PA is 12 watchers. The average is maybe 2.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Please attend our seminar, "Geocaching for Time Travelers," which will be held two weeks ago.

But the cache in the "caching with broken foot thread" has 15 people watching it.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

My Vancouver Transit hovers around 50. I think it has been as high as 60 during the summer.

Regarding valuable caches, you have to see the latest cache in the series by Team KFWB GPS. The latest has about $2000 worth of goodies in it. Their caches have brand new GPS units plus tons of cash. Usuall $50 to $1000. I have found 4 of their caches and they are all excellent. I am surprised more cachers are not watching these.

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

Regarding valuable caches, you have to see the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=42391 by Team KFWB GPS. The latest has about $2000 worth of goodies in it. Their caches have brand new GPS units plus tons of cash. Usuall $50 to $1000. I have found 4 of their caches and they are all excellent. I am surprised more cachers are not watching these.

Yes, but that's $2000 Canadian so isn't that about $15 U.S.? (Just kidding! Just kidding! I love Canada!)

banner-small.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

quote:
I know that some people watch every cache that they visit, so the most visited caches will tend to have the most watchers...SNIP...I therefore think that the most watched caches are the ones that are the most interesting and frequently visited.

quote:

Would looking for a most watched cache in an area, be a good way to select a good cache to hunt for?

I watch every cache I visit, so I too thought that the number of visits would equate roughly to the number of watchers. I checked this cache, which is on my watch list and has over 70 finds. I was surprised to see that I was one of only 3 watchers.

I do think many people will watch only those caches that they found to be particularly interesting, or difficult; so the number of watchers could be an indicator of a good cache to look for. Personally, I go by the logs. If there are dozens of logs that say little more than "Found it, thanks" then I'd be less inclined to go out of my way to look for it. If I see a lot of extensive logs detailing the cache hunter's adventures, it means to me that the hunt was an interesting one and I'll put that cache high on my to-do list.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

I have been watching this cache for a while now.

It is one of my favorite cache pages. 34 accounts

are watching.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19350

Wow Upinyachit, that is definitely one of the more interesting cache sites I have seen. There are 34 accounts watching, and only one attempted find. I guess that blows the most visited/most watched theory. Perhaps the watch count is as a better "Rating" of the cache that I thought. I agree with BrianSnat that you must read the logs also, but the watch count seems like a good place to start.

RM

I was the one who initiated the Integrity Cache avalanche of watchers, when I started this topic about it on the boards. That was on Dec 31 of last year (a day before it went "official" - you could view unapproved caches back then). Nine days later the watch list was up to 88 watchers. At it's highest point, it had gone into triple digits. The cache has been archived for 9 months, and it still has 22 watchers.

3608_1400.gif