ATTENTION ALL FLORIDA CACHERS

The Florida Geocachers Association is ready to launch its first "OFFICIAL" meetings!

Everyone is welcome to join the Florida Geocaching Association, the only requirements to be a member of the FGA are that you show up and attend a meeting, have a strong desire to Geocache and you live in Florida (Even if you don't live in Florida you can attend a meeting)! We will be holding 2 meetings to establish the FGA in the next few months, one for Northern Florida, and one for Southern Florida, with a Central Florida meeting if needed. The Northern meeting will be held on Saturday, April 27th, and the Southern on the following Saturday, May 4th. We have the Southern meeting location picked out and we are looking for suggestions for a Northern meeting location. If you are interested, please email the Night Crawlers (John & Antoinette) at Gpsfreakz@hotmail.com as soon as possible. By the time of the meeting we will have our web page up, business cards and other Geocaching materials available. Please, if you have any Ideas/Comments/suggestions let us know! We want as many people involved as possible.

FGA - Florida Geocaching Assoc.

To keep everyone up to date as to what the FGA is planning for the state of Florida we have decided to drop everyone a line and share some of our/your thoughts and invite everyone to add there 2 cents. Currently we have broken the state down into 4 regions. Panhandle/Big Bend/West Florida, North Florida, Central Florida, and South Florida. Dave P will be organizing meetings for the West Florida area, the Night Crawlers are organizing meetings in the South Florida area. We are looking for other Florida Geocachers interested in helping the FGA promote and organize meetings in your area. We have people interested in helping us organize meeting in the North and Central Florida areas, but due to personal conflicts they may not be able to help us this time around. The West FGA meeting will be coming soon and the North and South FGA Meetings still stand with the North FGA meeting on Saturday, April 27th, and the Southern FGA meeting on the following Saturday, May 4th with Locations TBA

I have a tendency to be a bit of a card at times. But I've noticed that humor can sometimes fall flat when put in writing, since people can't see our faces or tones of voice when we say something. (In fact...from various threads I've read here and in other places...it's not just humor that gets taken the wrong way.)

I appreciate the reminder that I should always think twice at how other readers may receive my comments, rather than just blurting out the first thing that crosses my mind. Words are much easier to hold back than to take back. And while "I'm sorry" is better than nothing, it's still no substitute for not having hurt someone's feelings in the first place.

So, considering the wide variety of potential readers on this forum, I'll try to curb my immature impulses in the future. (In fact, if you'd like me to delete the above, I'd be happy to.)

-Z

quote:
Originally posted by (Confuzn aka John & Saxy aka Antoinette):

The Florida Geocachers Association is ready to launch its first "OFFICIAL" meetings!

Everyone is welcome to join the Florida Geocaching Association, the only requirements to be a member of the FGA are that you show up and attend a meeting, have a strong desire to Geocache and you live in Florida (Even if you

icon_smile.gif Does sounds like a winner. First annual gathering of Geo-Caching hunters. icon_smile.gifI would be willing to journey for such a gathering.

quote:
Originally posted by (Confuzn aka John & Saxy aka Antoinette):

Everyone is welcome to join the Florida Geocaching Association, the only requirements to be a member of the FGA are that you show up and attend a meeting, have a strong desire to Geocache and you live in Florida (Even if you

icon_smile.gif Does sounds like a winner. First annual gathering of Geo-Caching hunters. icon_smile.gifI would be willing to journey for such a gathering.

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

How could anyone take this as anything other than a joke, I thought it was very clever, but my goodness some people are so touchy.

Thanks for the compliment. icon_smile.gif I thought it was clever, too. (But then my opinion might be a bit baised. icon_biggrin.gif)

However, I have to admit, after having been online for awhile, I've noticed that it's much easier to step on toes or offend here than it is in person. (Can't hear tones of voice, or see body language, etc. Plus, there's a wide cross-section of personality and humor-tolerance levels of people who visit forums like this.)

Hopefully this mild example of a politely and calmly worked out near-misunderstanding will stand as a gentle reminder to all of us to think twice before we post...as well as to take what we read with a grain of salt, and try not to be oversensitive to crude or childish remarks. (Sometimes that's what people thrive on...getting emotional reactions. To ignore their remarks is often the most effective way of curbing rude behavior.)

quote:

How could anyone take this as anything other than a joke, I thought it was very clever, but my goodness some people are so touchy.

Thanks for the compliment. icon_smile.gif I thought it was clever, too. (But then my opinion might be a bit baised. icon_biggrin.gif)

However, I have to admit, after having been online for awhile, I've noticed that it's much easier to step on toes or offend here than it is in person. (Can't hear tones of voice, or see body language, etc. Plus, there's a wide cross-section of personality and humor-tolerance levels of people who visit forums like this.)

Hopefully this mild example of a politely and calmly worked out near-misunderstanding will stand as a gentle reminder to all of us to think twice before we post...as well as to take what we read with a grain of salt, and try not to be oversensitive to crude or childish remarks. (Sometimes that's what people thrive on...getting emotional reactions. To ignore their remarks is often the most effective way of curbing rude behavior.)

quote:

"Acronyms

Whew, I'm glad you didn't name yourselves the Florida Association of Geocachers. "

? How could anyone take this as anything other than a joke, I thought it was very clever, but my goodness some people are so touchy. Jeez

icon_redface.gif

Making fun of a group of people because of thier sexual orientation is not what Geocaching is about. It isn't touchy its about understanding which Zuckerruebensirup and I came to after we communicated. Yes it was just a joke, yet when you have a friend who had "dyke" cut into her back by a group of teenagers in Highschool because of who she was, you become wary at remarks like that. Crude humor isn't always clever humor. Zuckerruebensirup and I both agreed that we should leave the posts on here because maybe if people saw that you can talk and work out your misunderstandings in the forums the forums will not turn into flame wars like they have been in weeks past. Thanks for your post and thanks Zuckerruebensirup for your follow up

28291_200.jpg

quote:

"Acronyms

Whew, I'm glad you didn't name yourselves the Florida Association of Geocachers. "

? How could anyone take this as anything other than a joke, I thought it was very clever, but my goodness some people are so touchy. Jeez

icon_redface.gif

Making fun of a group of people because of thier sexual orientation is not what Geocaching is about. It isn't touchy its about understanding which Zuckerruebensirup and I came to after we communicated. Yes it was just a joke, yet when you have a friend who had "dyke" cut into her back by a group of teenagers in Highschool because of who she was, you become wary at remarks like that. Crude humor isn't always clever humor. Zuckerruebensirup and I both agreed that we should leave the posts on here because maybe if people saw that you can talk and work out your misunderstandings in the forums the forums will not turn into flame wars like they have been in weeks past. Thanks for your post and thanks Zuckerruebensirup for your follow up

28291_200.jpg

Please take note.

Florida Geocaching Assoc.- Central Florida Meeting - CONFIRMED

Florida Geocaching Assoc.- North Florida Meeting - CONFIRMED

Florida Geocaching Assoc.- South Florida Meeting

Florida Geocaching Assoc.- West Florida Meeting - CONFIRMED

FGA - Florida Geocaching Associatio

[This message was edited by Florida Geocaching Association on April 08, 2002 at 08:00 AM.]