I hate REI...

husqui

$8.50. That’s all it was suppose to cost. Eight dollars and fifty cents….

I was contemplating a couple of day hikes/cache hunts the other day and as I was going through my equipment checklist, I realized that two of my Nalgene water bottles were on the verge of cracking. So I decided to buy a new one, just in case, and off I went to my favorite outdoors store.

Water bottle, water bottle, all I need is a water bottle. That was my chant. As I made my way through the aisles, my eyes steered towards the trekking poles. I’m just going to look, I told myself. But dang, I do need a new pair as I now only carry half of my original REI poles as one shaft finally broke after over 5 years of use. A quick check of the model I wanted showed a $95 price tag --- want it, but can’t and shouldn’t do it. Not yet anyway, maybe it will go sale sometime soon. Whew, there you go, I passed my first test.

But alas, it was downhill from there. Socks, I just remembered, I need a pair of hiking socks. Okay, so I ended up getting 2 pairs. But close by there was a sign --- Gramicci fleece wear on sale! Hey, it is getting colder and I just could not turn down my favorite outdoor clothing label. And then right there were some REI polartec jackets on sale. I do owe my niece a birthday present; after all, she is my godchild. And I just took her and my sister caching up in the mountains the other day, and she was freezing. Yeah, that’s it, I am going to get her that jacket for her overdue birthday present.

Ah, yes, I just remembered that I’ve been meaning to get a camera case. Found it, perfect! I can strap this on to the front of my backpack for quick access during those photo opps while geocaching. Uh-oh, what’s that? Great, they got those cool, lightweight Petzl Zipka headlamps on sale! Gotta have it. Oh wow, that is quite a first aid kit. I really should replace the bulky “chest” that I’ve had for seven years…..hey, this is a must-have item!

Are those nutrition bars over there? I was geocaching last weekend and I traded stuff for the Balance Bar that somebody left in the ammo box. Boy, I wolfed that thing down and it sure tasted good especially after 1.5 miles of uphill hiking. Yeah, I think I’ll get myself a couple of those. Oh, and I gotta get some for the brats (um, er, the huskies, that is). I have to give them something more nutritious than biscuits ---- there it is, Zukes Power Bones!

Now I’m waiting in line at the cash register. Seems like I’m missing something, what the heck is it? Ooops, almost forgot --- where’s that water bottle?

Needless to say, I am now poorer by $186.33. All because of a water bottle that I decided to buy from REI. Is it wrong for me to hate them? You decide….

I apologize for the long post but I just needed to blow off some steam. Thank you for listening.

27485_300.gif

We have a love hate relationship with Galyans as well. We joke around that if we walk out of Galyans with a total lower than $100, then we weren't trying hard enough. Sounds to me like Husqui missed the shoe department all together........... icon_biggrin.gif

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

Sounds to me like Husqui missed the shoe department all together........... icon_biggrin.gif

I have to admit, the reason I ended up buying some hiking socks was because I just bought a pair of winter boots online via REI-Outlet.com a couple of weeks ago. Last night, I decided that I will return those boots and go back to the store and exchange them for a different model that's slightly more expensive.....wish me luck! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

Sounds to me like Husqui missed the shoe department all together........... icon_biggrin.gif

I have to admit, the reason I ended up buying some hiking socks was because I just bought a pair of winter boots online via REI-Outlet.com a couple of weeks ago. Last night, I decided that I will return those boots and go back to the store and exchange them for a different model that's slightly more expensive.....wish me luck! icon_razz.gif

Don't bring your credit cards, don't bring a lot of cash. Wear blinders, and put in ear plugs in case they have one of those "Attention REI Shoppers" messages blaring. Head straight for the boots, do not pass map software, do not pass camel packs, do not even pass the kayaks, in case you get the urge to do a paddle cache!

I laugh because I went to Sports Authority just to meet Ttepee to go caching and it cost me almost $30 bucks, on cache items! I picked up some wrist wallets for $5.99, and some little skateboard toys I guess kids love. And I had three bags full of cache items at home!

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

I have a REI store close to my home, WAY TO CLOSE! Although I have been a member since the sixties I have never spent so much time and money in a retail environment. I think I stop there 2-3 times a week, so often that I am known by name. Sigh, I am hooked......

Originally posted by husqui:

$8.50. That’s all it was suppose to cost. Eight dollars and fifty cents….

I was contemplating a couple of day hikes/cache hunts the other day and as I was going through my equipment checklist, I realized that two of my Nalgene water bottles were on the verge of cracking. So I decided to buy a new one, just in case, and off I went to my favorite outdoors store.

Water bottle, water bottle, all I need is a water bottle. That was my chant. As I made my way through the aisles, my eyes steered towards the trekking poles. I’m just going to look, I told myself. But dang, I do need a new pair as I now only carry half of my original REI poles as one shaft finally broke after over 5 years of use. A quick check of the model I wanted showed a $95 price tag --- want it, but can’t and shouldn’t do it. Not yet anyway, maybe it will go sale sometime soon. Whew, there you go, I passed my first test.

But alas, it was downhill from there. Socks, I just remembered, I need a pair of hiking socks. Okay, so I ended up getting 2 pairs. But close by there was a sign --- Gramicci fleece wear on sale! Hey, it is getting colder and I just could not turn down my favorite outdoor clothing label. And then right there were some REI polartec jackets on sale. I do owe my niece a birthday present; after all, she is my godchild. And I just took her and my sister caching up in the mountains the other day, and she was freezing. Yeah, that’s it, I am going to get her that jacket for her overdue birthday present.

Ah, yes, I just remembered that I’ve been meaning to get a camera case. Found it, perfect! I can strap this on to the front of my backpack for quick access during those photo opps while geocaching. Uh-oh, what’s that? Great, they got those cool, lightweight Petzl Zipka headlamps on sale! Gotta have it. Oh wow, that is quite a first aid kit. I really should replace the bulky “chest” that I’ve had for seven years…..hey, this is a must-have item!

Are those nutrition bars over there? I was geocaching last weekend and I traded stuff for the Balance Bar that somebody left in the ammo box. Boy, I wolfed that thing down and it sure tasted good especially after 1.5 miles of uphill hiking. Yeah, I think I’ll get myself a couple of those. Oh, and I gotta get some for the brats (um, er, the huskies, that is). I have to give them something more nutritious than biscuits ---- there it is, Zukes Power Bones!

Now I’m waiting in line at the cash register. Seems like I’m missing something, what the heck is it? Ooops, almost forgot --- where’s that water bottle?

Needless to say, I am now poorer by $186.33. All because of a water bottle that I decided to buy from REI. Is it wrong for me to hate them? You decide….

I apologize for the long post but I just needed to blow off some steam. Thank you for listening.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/27485_300.gif [/quote :cool

Rich

(laughs) I had a similar experience with a local bicycle shop a few years ago. At the time I was an avid Mt. biker...I've since slacked off, and actually don't own a bike now. But I went into the bike shop to pick up some chain lube (about $3 a bottle)...$1500, and 3 hours of "test riding" later I had my bottle of chain lube that came with a new free bike. icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
Originally posted by dthigpen:

While I can sympathize, having done the exact same thing on many occasions, I just have to say... I love REI. My wife, however, is a different story.

Doug

You don't love your wife? icon_confused.gif

Okay, I definately worded that wrong. Let me rephrase, My wife HATES REI, I love my wife to death. *Waits til his wife reads the forums* icon_eek.gif

Doug

Yes, Darn REI all to Heck. I just gave them over $300.00 dollars today. I bought a great pair of hiking boots that are ultra heavy duty but light weight. I needed something to protect my ankles as they have been sore lately from all of the twisting and rocking of caching bad trails. I used them today and so far so good. I also got some cache goodies. I spend a lot of time in there also. I love that store.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I feel yer pain! I was going to REI today, to get a hard case for our GPSr. Knowing full well the dangers therein, I instead went to a local SportMart. Ouch. That was like giving up Lobster for King Crab legs! I couldn't afford the expensive socks, and they always get swallowed by washer, so I just got a cheapo 6-pack for a few bucks. My daughter is such a big help around the house that I wanted to get her a nifty stopwatch for her P.E. class, my sister's birthday is on the 4th, got some hand-me-down boots that just needed laces - took care of that, got the hard-case, etc. etc. I spent several hours "just looking" at stuff, and all in all my behaviour was not too bad. They had a sale for 6 hours yesterday, and I guess they had a $189 Magellan GPS on sale for just $79. Wow... I asked if there was any way they would still do that (just curious, REALLY!!!) icon_wink.gif but they said nope. Some markup, I observed. Bummer, about the sale, because that same bag of socks I got today was "buy one get one free" yesterday during that sale. Oh well. At least the hard-case (an Otterbox - GREAT protection, btw!) is perfect for our Legend. Crushproof, airtight to 100m... Just what I need when storing the unit!

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

...Galyans.

Luckily, it's over 10 miles away. I still think we're doomed, though!

Yes, I am glad they opened that up al the way over in Green Valley, otherwise I'd be there way to often.

Did you try the climbing wall? I passed on it as I didn't want to chance pulling anything the day before climbing a 300 foot tower in MO, but found out that earlier that same day BOTH my nieces (5 and 8) made it all the way up! Now I have to do it the next time I am in there.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

...And how much do those REI rebates cost you?!? Boy do they have a racket going with those rebates! Just try going in to buy something with that $30 rebate. Last year the rebate probably cover the tax on that new tent. This year it might just pay for one strap of the backpack I have my eye on! Do I really NEED it? Of course not, but ya gotta spend that free money!

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

...Perhaps we should form a 12 step program and do interventions for each other.

REI 12 step program

1. Buy a GPS

2. Pickup a compass

3. Buy map software

4. Snacks for the hunt

5. Camel hydration pack

6. Cool key chains for cache trades

7. Hiking stick

8. Gortex jacket for hunting in the rain

9. Headlight for night geocaching

10. Boots

11. Wool socks

12. Compass zipper pull

REI....ahhhhh. The glamour of myriad selection of the finest outdoor paraphanalia. It's irresistable. REI, it must stand for Relinquish Earned Income, because that is what happens to me. I look. I spend. I look some more. I spend some more. But I love it. What a great addiction. I have more to say, but I am compelled to go: My new REI catalogue just arrived. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

David Berne

I hate to do this in this thread but I have to say something good happened to me at REI yesterday.

I bought an expensive pair of boots from them on Saturday. I used them hiking and caching all day Saturday and again on Sunday. They felt a little big and not as supportive as I would have liked. So on Monday I wore them again and when I got around to it went to REI to try on a pair a half size smaller. They fit a lot better and so I asked if I would be able to switch thinking full that I couldn't because they were worn outside and still had mud on them. The girl helping me said no problem just take them to customer service. I replied with, 'I don't have the box or receipt'. She said 'are you a member?' Me: 'yes' She: 'no problem'

I walked in with the old boot too large for my feet and out of there with the ones that fit perfectly.

Now thats service and a 100% lifetime satisfaction guarntee.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Boy, you had me going with your Subject. How can you hate REI, I wondered. Its like hating sex, or, or. . . oh I don't know. The concept is just sort a befuddling.

But it turns out its the same sort of love/hate relationship my wife has with REI/Galyans, etc. "Hi, Honey." "Where were you?" "Oh, I just stopped by REI." "[sitting down] Oh god, how much this time?" "They were having a sale - I saved SO much money. Hey, we'll need this stuff anyway." icon_rolleyes.gif

Me, I've simply surrendered to my addiction - sorta like geocaching. icon_cool.gif

Which reminds me. Yesterday was the one month anniversary of my first find. icon_biggrin.gif 68 finds and one hide later, I'm having a blast.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step . . . and then I get in my truck and drive the rest of the way.

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

REI 12 step program

1. Buy a GPS

2. Pickup a compass

3. Buy map software

4. Snacks for the hunt

5. Camel hydration pack

6. Cool key chains for cache trades

7. Hiking stick

8. Gortex jacket for hunting in the rain

9. Headlight for night geocaching

10. Boots

11. Wool socks

12. Compass zipper pull

Not exactly what I had in mind. icon_wink.gif

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

Personally I would kill for REI and EMS here in Orlando, FL, the Sports Authority just doesn't have the experienced staff. I ran into an EMS booth at a trade show and almost begged them to open a storehere.

You might not have those but you do have a Bass Pro Shop. I think visiting that store was close to the highlight of my trip to Orlando last year. We spent at least 5 hours in there looking, trying, and buying. Tried out some bows in their indoor range. Ate in the diner and watched the huge bass swimming in their giant stream/fishtank thing. We spent way too much money also. The nearest one to me is down in Houston. A place I avoid like the plague.

The Bohican

--

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

You might not have those but you do have a http://bassproshop.com/.

I used to live about five minutes away from the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, MO. dadgum them and their "Sportsman's Honor 15 minute parking" and the Sunday Brunch in Hemingway's!

Useless trivia alert: My ex-father-in-law's dad built Highway K boatdock near Branson, Missouri. He bought fishing lures for resale on the dock from Johnny Morris (Bass Pro Shop's founder/owner) when he sold them out of the trunk of his car!

Now, Bass Pro Shops is the #1 tourist attraction in Missouri and the largest sporting goods store in the world...and it all started out of the trunk of a car.

Shannon,

No, I didn't do the climbing wall at Galyan's. I would've eclipsed the oldest climber at the time by about 16 years. That thing is impressive, though: a fifty or sixty feet climb for free!

Galyan's is a great place to go and get ideas for Ebay searches. :-) I tried on a Kelty Kids backpack carrier and now I can't live without one!