My GPS died at the end of a cache HELPPP!

FallenFaery

So I went and cached this cache tonightShot In the Dark by Dad and the Dynamic Duo

It was awesome. But on my way out I went to follow my route out on my Little Yellow and suddenly it just wasn't on. tried turning it back on...nope...steal the batteries from my minimaglight. still nothing. Now i'm sitting here at my computer with fresh batteries in the correct way and when i press the power button the Etrex loading screen flashes breifly and then goes back off...Any suggests?? I got mine off of ebay back in November. I'm starting to wonder if that was a bad move. Thanks in advance

quote:
Originally posted by Fallenfaery:

Tried a new pair of batteries. no luck

Tried adjusting the contacts..No luck and i broke one of them icon_frown.gif....but it's still flashing the etrex screen and then going off. arggggggg...

Hmmm interesting. What you MIGHT want to try is contacting the manufacturer or check out their website. They may have a trouble faq that you can read, or a customer service number you can call. Explain your situation, and they might exchange it. I have a guy I was talking to on here that did that, and he sent in his old one, and they shipped him a new one, no questions asked.

In an effort to coin yet a new addition to the Lexicon, I'll offer you the opportunity to "auto-Markwell" yourself.

I saw a thread here a while back that had instructions on how to kick in the diagnostics feature on various Garmin products by holding down certain buttons when turning the unit on. You might want to do a search on the threads with search words like Garmin and diagnostics or something like that.

I'm not sure whether the diagnostics program built into Garmin units will help, but there might be something there which could resolve your problem.

Sorry, don't have time to do the Markwelling myself right now, but I just sat down in front of the 'puter for a minute to do something and the forums were already online.

Good Luck!

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

So I had emailed Garmin before Weasel suggested it and they got back to me last night. they told me to attempt a reset of the system by holding down the "up"+"Page"+"Enter"+"Power" for 5 seconds until it turned on. and if that didn't work I would have to call to schedule a repair. Attempted the reset and it worked!!! Geocaching for me again!!!!

The same thing happened to Jenn's Etrex when we were out last weekend. About 500 feet from a cache, it just died. She turned it back on, and it was good for about 10 minutes, then died again. New batteries did not help. After a bit, it started working just fine, and was good the rest of the day.

I was really cold out....Don't know if that had anything to do with it. She put it inside her jacket for a bit, and it worked after that, but I am not convinced that was the problem.

Ohh well, I will keep your post handy for the next time that it happens.

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet