idea/history in caches etc

Guest cache_ninja

Guest metro

Being an avid reader and very new to this sport (4 caches found and two planted) I have only read the post and have never really been stimulated to respond. However, I find your idea intriguing and a wonderful change in direction from the political arena that has dominated most of the recent conversations. Placing obscure and interesting historical or geographic data in a cache is a great idea and one I pledge to follow when I plant my next cache. Thanks

Cache-Ninja!

Guest ALacy

This is an interesting coincidence. My brother, my son and I placed the

The Brushy Mountain Cache near a 19th Century "relic." We didn't

include any history about it. However due to the comments on the log asking about it, this past weekend we worked up a sheet of information containing what we know about it and I put the sheet in the cache for future visitors, and emailed a copy to the past visitors.

Guest Exocet

I pretty much agree with cache_ninja.

Not every spot that my friends and I have chosen to place a cache at is "historic" or has any real history to it, but three out of the four the caches we've placed have qualified for at least a short description of the area and its history.

That being said, almost every place has some history you or others may not know about. It takes just a few hours to do a bit of research via the ol' internet and then you have an interesting cache in an interesting place and people get to learn something, too.

Guest Moun10Bike

cache_ninja, i think it's a great idea! History -- specifically history of relevance to navigation and geocaching -- was a big reason I chose to do my Map Maker Virtual Cache ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1494 ). One of the things included in the .zip file that can be unlocked once you have successfully visited the cache site is a short history of the man behind the monument there. He was an explorer who almost single-handedly mapped the Columbia River drainage, and a geocache involving him seemed fitting.