Iowa cache???

AGREATSCOT

I did some googling and found this posting:

I'm the guy who paints the tribute to veterans every year on the rock (located 13 miles north of Greenfield, Iowa). Rabbi asked me to give you all some info. about myself. I'll keep it very brief, so if you have more questions I'll leave my contact info. at the bottom of this message.

I'm a 23 year old guy from Greenfield, Iowa. I believe in, and love, God and my country. When I paint the rock on Memorial Day, I try to impress on anyone who will stop and look that freedom isn't free.

Ray Sorensen

Greenfield, Ia 50849

=============

I took out the contact information

Greenfield is located SSE of Des Moines

freedom isn't free - Now that's a good cache name.

A virtual cache was submitted on August 31, 2003. I denied the cache since painted rocks are somewhat common, it would most likely not be permanent (painted over and/or modified at some point) and because of the ability to hide a micro-cache there. I was shown the web page linked above and thought the same thing that GPSaxaphone said above.

If someone wants to try to place a traditional cache there the coordinates are:

N 41° 28.500 W 094° 27.135

Map

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

If this is the rock I think it is, I don't believe the surrounding area would be suitable for a physical cache, as it is all privately owned, and nearly all Iowa farmers take a dim view of strangers trespassing (go figure). The area behind the rock is, I believe, the abandoned quarry the rock came from, and now full of many feet of water, and still owned by the quarry company.

But, if you CAN get permission, go for it.

You don't have to hide an ammo box to make it a traditional cache. A virtual wouldn't work, as all the verification info is obviously on the Internet already. The only way it could be done is to post a picture of yourself in front of it.

Traditional cache suggestions:

First pic: fake rock under soldier's right elbow

Second pic: ammo box in the bush behind and to the left of the rock

Third pic: micro attached to the road sign with magnet. Fake rock/plant in the weeds behind and to the right of the rock.

Fourth pic: nothing stands out as a good hiding spot

Fifth pic: micro attached to telephone pole. Could use a fake bolt or something camo'd to blend in

Sixth pic: fence in background, so probably private property, otherwise near the tree behind and to the left of the rock

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

You don't have to hide an ammo box to make it a traditional cache. A virtual wouldn't work, as all the verification info is obviously on the Internet already. The only way it could be done is to post a picture of yourself in front of it.

Traditional cache suggestions:

First pic: fake rock under soldier's right elbow

Second pic: ammo box in the bush behind and to the left of the rock

Third pic: micro attached to the road sign with magnet. Fake rock/plant in the weeds behind and to the right of the rock.

Fourth pic: nothing stands out as a good hiding spot

Fifth pic: micro attached to telephone pole. Could use a fake bolt or something camo'd to blend in

Sixth pic: fence in background, so probably private property, otherwise near the tree behind and to the left of the rock

Team GPSaxophone-

Everything you see in the pics is either private property or county road ROW (which isn't private, but it's not exactly public land either). I appreciate your suggestions, and I like the fake rock and the micro-magnet-on-the-road-sign. However, I don't think the fake rock would last, anything bigger than half a fist is going to get thrown in the quarry lake by local teens, just for the fun of sound effects.

County road right of way...That would belong to the citizens of the county, or in other words, public property.

Since Mtn-Man has already made it clear a virtual wouldn't be approved, I'm trying to give ideas for placing a container. I would suggest asking the landowner for permission to place a visitor logbook there, but you indicated teenagers would probably vandalize it. You just need to examine good camo techniques so they don't find it.

Ask the painter if he would mind, as well as the property owner. You'll need to explain geocaching to him and that it will give an indication as to how many visitors the site receives over a period of time. It might give him more satisfaction in his work if he knows how many people see it.

Once you get permission, you should have no trouble setting the post in concrete and bolting the container to it to discourage vandalism.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

County road right of way...That would belong to the citizens of the county, or in other words, public property.

Team GPSaxophone - Just to clarify for you, county road right-of-way in Iowa is in easement from adjoining landowners, hence not truly in the domain of public property, hence I would be reluctant to place a cache in the right-of-way. I do appreciate your suggestions though, and some type of camo may well work at this site, given the owner's permission. It's very near to my old stomping grounds as a kid, but unfortunately, since it's now nearly 100 miles from me, I think someone else will have to do the dirty work of setting one out, as I only get out that way a couple times a year. I'll see that the Great Plains forum sees this thread.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.