Why do cachers quit the game?

as best i remember, The ferret farmer placed a cache that one geocacher could not find, then said geocacher went to admin to have it archived. The ferret farmer said he quit because of politics. I would have to agree that this place is rife with weird politics.

Bender

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

as best i remember, The ferret farmer placed a cache that one geocacher could not find, then said geocacher went to admin to have it archived. The ferret farmer said he quit because of politics. I would have to agree that this place is rife with weird politics.

Bender

Ferret Farmer thread.

Besides all the suspicious things mentioned by Weasel in the 1st post there, the killer was the fact that Jeremy noted when he archived the cache in question that the hider had logged into the site yet ignored questions about the placement of it. Seems likely now that Ferret Farmer was just a troll.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I found this log while reading through a cache:<BR><BR>"February 4, 2001 by mdhaas (2 found)<BR>I FOUND IT!; I yelled as my 3 companions were scurrying up the hill behind me No sooner did I hear someone yell ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A CACHE?. I was surprised to find we were not alone. The rest is history as Logged by my new friend Ron. I must say it was a pleasant surprise to find other cache hunters there with us. This was our first hunt. We left the Zane Grey paperback & the AAA Batteries. We will be looking for the survival cache next weekend. We are already planning our own cache; Look for it in the next couple of weeks. Again, Ron & Marilyn, It was a pleasure to meet you & I hope our paths cross again"<BR><BR>Now why do cachers start out, seem to have a good time then never log again? The second log was fine also then no more.<BR>Do they just decide that it's not for them? Lose their GPS? Have a really bad no-find experience?<BR>Your guess...<BR><BR>Mickey<BR>Max Entropy<BR>More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I got lost

Like all activities, some people are chased away by jerks.

Amen. We went to our first event today. We were within 200 feet of another very loud cache group. Hearing them scream back and forth very loudly and carrying on and then screaming "found it" really gave me a bad feeling. We go to parks for peacefulness and quiet. Not to hear people being rude. :unsure: It really spoiled our fun and our first event.

I found this log while reading through a cache:<BR><BR>"February 4, 2001 by mdhaas (2 found)<BR>I FOUND IT!; I yelled as my 3 companions were scurrying up the hill behind me No sooner did I hear someone yell ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A CACHE?. I was surprised to find we were not alone. The rest is history as Logged by my new friend Ron. I must say it was a pleasant surprise to find other cache hunters there with us. This was our first hunt. We left the Zane Grey paperback & the AAA Batteries. We will be looking for the survival cache next weekend. We are already planning our own cache; Look for it in the next couple of weeks. Again, Ron & Marilyn, It was a pleasure to meet you & I hope our paths cross again"<BR><BR>Now why do cachers start out, seem to have a good time then never log again? The second log was fine also then no more.<BR>Do they just decide that it's not for them? Lose their GPS? Have a really bad no-find experience?<BR>Your guess...<BR><BR>Mickey<BR>Max Entropy<BR>More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I got lost

Lost for 4 years!?! :unsure:

Why do people quit anything? I love playing softball and was delighted when a new co-worker told me he played competetive softball for many years (several leagues and over 100 games a year he said). I thought, great, I'd have another player for my team, but he said, "Nah, I retired 2 years ago". It wasn't old age, he was younger than me. Not injury, or a change in his family situation...he just gave it up.

I'm an avid skier and meet people all the time who "love to ski but haven't in ...fill in the blank...years".

I've met former backpackers, former fishermen, former bowlers, former runners. It's usually not an injury, or old age that stopped them. Sometimes it's attributed to a lifestyle change; marriage, children, but I can't even see that. If it was something you loved, maybe you can't do it as much, but you can still get out and do it once in a while.

Since I got married, I no longer play in 4 softball leagues, 2 volleyball leagues, a soccer league, 3 bowling leagues and ski 40 days a year.But I still do all of the above, just not as much. So I don't understand what makes people quit doing anything they enjoy, outside serious illness, or injury.

It's not just geocaching. Heck, I'm sure a hundred ski resort operators and thousands of bowling alley owners are asking a similar question.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on March 02, 2003 at 03:37 AM.]

I used to hike like crazy when I was a kid. Gave it up after college and didn't hike for twenty five years. Picked it up again a few years ago, and now we're moving to California, largely because of the outdoor opportunities.

I kinda think that some people start out with the notion that they will find lots of treasures in caches. After a few outings and not finding that treasure, they lose interest and quit. There have been some very nice items, money, jewelry, etc,,, found but as we all know, these are few and far between. <BR><BR>Guess some of these people dont look at it the way alot of us see it, that just finding the cache is where most of the fun lies icon_biggrin.gif<!--graemlin::D-->!!!

Yeah, some people just want the swag and never take the time to enjoy the beauty of nature around them.

Now why do cachers start out, seem to have a good time then never log again? The second log was fine also then no more.<BR>Do they just decide that it's not for them? Lose their GPS? Have a really bad no-find experience?<BR>Your guess...<BR><BR>Mickey<BR>Max Entropy<BR>More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I see that since this original question was asked mdhaas ended up with six total finds. Five in California and the last one in Montana in January of 05. Their profile shows that they last logged on in August of 2006. I wonder if they moved to Montana and changed their caching habits. They never did go out every week. What happened between January of 05 and August of 06? Did they stop logging online. Maybe they did not enjoy the competition with the people that log 100 finds in a day while they had one a year. Maybe their GPSr broke and they couldn't justify the money for a new one so they could cache once a year. I guess it really just goes to show that not everyone that has fun doing it gets addicted. :D

My theory:<BR><BR>1. They have a find deleted by some overbearing cache owner who has placed tedious requirements for logging.<BR>2. They ask a simple question in the forums and some sanctimonious do-gooder b1tch-slaps them for it.<BR>3. They read the pointless debates about the proper type of cache container, low environmental impact search methods, and endless drivel from some holier-than-thou player who believes they alone are enlightened and thus in authority. <BR>4. They read about the almost constant knee-jerk demand for more rules because of some isolated incident, real or imagined.<BR>5. Other cachers who feel the find-count alone determines a player’s worthiness degrade them. <BR><BR>No, I’m not cynical; I just need a beer tonight.<BR><BR><A HREF="http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/" TARGET=_blank>http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/</A>

I think not getting some early direction when it is all brand new can be a killer. If more experienced cachers would take the time to take someone aside (who is willing to listen) and give them an overview, they are not only going to expect some of the things listed by Criminal above but they are also going to be introduced to some a things that make it easier and fun such as using GSAK filtering, going paperless or the "wow" caches in their area and some of the nuisances of hiding.

For us, it's the quality (or lack thereof) of the caches that has put a damper on our caching. When we started caching, the majority of the caches were in spots that actually had some thought put into them. They took us to a beautiful view, interesting or educational location, something out of the ordinary. They also generally had quality swag, even if they had been around for a significant amount of time. We enjoyed the hike/education/hide, traded even or up, signed the log, re-hid well, and headed for our next find. I've been to alot of really special places because of geocaching, and that made it worth our time even if the swag had deteriorated over time. The journey was reward enough, and nice swag was icing on the cake. We couldn't wait for our next chance to head out again for more of the same.

Now while the number of caches available to seek out has dramatically increased, the quality of most of those caches has, IMHO, gone waaaaay down. Caches are seemingly placed at random, anywhere that one can be placed, with no thought as to "why". And even brand new caches rarely have any swag that would be interesting to anyone other than a 3-year old. And if they've had even a few visitors? Forget it; you'll find nothing but trash and broken toys. To me, a geocache that's worth seeking should take me somewhere that's somehow special or different. And if not, then at least start it out with some nice swag. In other words, Take me somewhere that I would enjoy going even if there wasn't a cache to find. Show me something, teach me something, make me say "Wow" or "Cool" or even just nod my head and say "Nice".

I remember something I read about geocaching when we first started out; "Just because you can hide a cache somewhere, doesn't mean you should hide a cache there." I think way to many cachers have forgotten that. A well-thought out cache is a jewel, a container of trash thrown anywhere is simply litter.

Edited by 4x4van

For us, it's the quality (or lack thereof) of the caches that has put a damper on our caching. When we started caching, the majority of the caches were in spots that actually had some thought put into them. They took us to a beautiful view, interesting or educational location, something out of the ordinary. They also generally had quality swag, even if they had been around for a significant amount of time. We enjoyed the hike/education/hide, traded even or up, signed the log, re-hid well, and headed for our next find. I've been to alot of really special places because of geocaching, and that made it worth our time even if the swag had deteriorated over time. The journey was reward enough, and nice swag was icing on the cake. We couldn't wait for our next chance to head out again for more of the same.

Now while the number of caches available to seek out has dramatically increased, the quality of most of those caches has, IMHO, gone waaaaay down. Caches are seemingly placed at random, anywhere that one can be placed, with no thought as to "why". And even brand new caches rarely have any swag that would be interesting to anyone other than a 3-year old. And if they've had even a few visitors? Forget it; you'll find nothing but trash and broken toys. To me, a geocache that's worth seeking should take me somewhere that's somehow special or different. And if not, then at least start it out with some nice swag. In other words, Take me somewhere that I would enjoy going even if there wasn't a cache to find. Show me something, teach me something, make me say "Wow" or "Cool" or even just nod my head and say "Nice".

I remember something I read about geocaching when we first started out; "Just because you can hide a cache somewhere, doesn't mean you should hide a cache there." I think way to many cachers have forgotten that. A well-thought out cache is a jewel, a container of trash thrown anywhere is simply litter.

I honestly think one of the keys to longevity in this game in some densely cached areas has to be to mastering effective networking with other cachers and filtering out caches the types of caches that you don't want to find. I hope that GC.com acknowledges the need for better tools to do this with.

Here's my interpretation of this bumped thread. Everyone did notice this thread was started in March 2003, correct?? :laughing: The OP references a cache log from someone from 2001, who only went on to log two caches. I have definately noticed, and even commented on this in the past. Look at just about any old-time cache from 2002 or older, and you'll see many finders that went on to find a handful of caches at best, and haven't logged on in years. And they almost always profess to be "addicted" in their logs. :blink: The first cache in my area (which still exists) is loaded with logs like this. And about 5 or 6 of these people threatened to place the 2nd cache in my area, and never did. :blink:

So I'll say life just got in the way for these sorts of people, and they decided the hobby wasn't all that great. I'll bet very few of them have any idea how much it's grown.

Also note, you could freely change your username as many times as you wanted up until last year, so that's a non-issue. At least the way I interpret the thread, as talking about old-timers that only found a couple, and never game back.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

As I'm stuck on an island 9 miles by 5, with less than 100 caches, and most of them found, the only way I can *continue* is if the few other players here place more caches! At the moment most of the new caches are either ridiculously hard to find or puzzles that don't interest me, so it's Game Over for the time being. It seems that every new cache these days has to be a fiendish hassle to find, which is disappointing and means I'll just ignore them. I'm not in it for mind-reading puzzles. But if that's the way my fellow islanders want to play it good luck to them if they're keeping themselves happy. I daresay my GPS will boot up again one day when I need it. :blink:

My observation has been that most people quit because they get tired of it. People can get tired of it for a number of reasons, but I think there are two main reasons:

1) They overdo it and burn out. So it's important to pace yourself. If you feel like you are burning out, take some time off. Caching will always be there when you come back.

2) They just don't enjoy the typical cache they find. It is very important to learn how to identify and find the better caches out there, so you can maximize your enjoyment. If there weren't a lot of good caches still out there I would quit. I've also learned which cachers in my area hide the better caches and visa versa. :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

eh, things change, life changes, interests change. It happens.

For example, the guy that got me into geocaching has only logged one find in nearly 4 years now. Had a kid, moved south, etc. Life just gets in the way sometimes.

Others try things out, have a good time but it just doesn't stick.

It's not unique to geocaching, I know that much.

1) They overdo it and burn out. So it's important to pace yourself. If you feel like you are burning out, take some time off. Caching will always be there when you come back.

I've seen a lot of that. People run around like mad, finding 1000+ caches in less than a year then slow down and eventually quit. What's bad is when they hide a lot of caches then abandon both the game and their hides. I think someone once termed them 'pidgeon cachers'.

I've seen a lot of that. People run around like mad, finding 1000+ caches in less than a year then slow down and eventually quit. What's bad is when they hide a lot of caches then abandon both the game and their hides. I think someone once termed them 'pidgeon cachers'.

I just talked to the wife of a new local caching couple this weekend at an event. They were both super enthused last time I saw them. Now the wife was telling me that the husband is going bananas. She is actually starting to lose her enthusiasm a bit because he is overdoing it. I don't think he realizes what a mistake it will be to lose his wife as a caching partner because he doesn't know how to moderate. I see it all the time. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. :blink:

I just talked to the wife of a new local caching couple this weekend at an event. They were both super enthused last time I saw them. Now the wife was telling me that the husband is going bananas. She is actually starting to lose her enthusiasm a bit because he is overdoing it. I don't think he realizes what a mistake it will be to lose his wife as a caching partner because he doesn't know how to moderate. I see it all the time. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. :blink:

I don't know.

One of the most important things I learned after getting married is that it's important to have interests that are seperate from my wife's. I don't think that it's necessarily unhealthy for a married couple to not like this game in exactly the same way.

Edited by sbell111

True dat. If there was ever a list of 7 deadly sins that could end your caching career Gluttony would have to be one. This is not be confused with binge caching when you have your life in order and have set aside the time.

True dat. If there was ever a list of 7 deadly sins that could end your caching career Gluttony would have to be one. This is not be confused with binge caching when you have your life in order and have set aside the time.
How does one know which is which? More importantly, how would an outsider know which is which? Even more importantly, does it matter? :blink:

I don't know. One of the most important things I learned after getting married is that it's important to have interests that are seperate from my wife's. I don't think that it's necessarily unhealthy for a married couple to not like this game in exactly the same way.

I think it is rare that couple has the same passion for a hobby like Geocaching. The downside of gluttony is that it cuts into the couples quality of life in some way.

How does one know which is which? More importantly, how would an outsider know which is which? Even more importantly, does it matter? :blink:

Binge caching is finding a lot of caches in a short period of time. Gluttony is a daily behavior with a much higher impact.

I don't know. One of the most important things I learned after getting married is that it's important to have interests that are seperate from my wife's. I don't think that it's necessarily unhealthy for a married couple to not like this game in exactly the same way.

I think it is rare that couple has the same passion for a hobby like Geocaching. The downside of gluttony is that it cuts into the couples quality of life in some way.

That's certainly true if both partners don't have an activity that they enjoy. However, if the caching partner geocaches when his/her partner is involved in his/her activity of choice, what's the harm?

That's certainly true if both partners don't have an activity that they enjoy. However, if the caching partner geocaches when his/her partner is involved in his/her activity of choice, what's the harm?

I think you missed the point. A husband and wife were very happily caching together. It was adding some fun to their marriage. Now the husband is going overboard and the wife is starting to lose interest. So in the near future he will be caching without his wife. Maybe then "the harm" will dawn on him..... :laughing:

Oh absolutely concur, mutually agreed upon debauchery is the very best kind. A woman that wants to cache as much or do what I do is actually a scary thought when I consider the possibilities.

***Deep, resonating, officious voice***

"It is my opinion that there are multiple reasons for the decline in enthusiasm of a cacher, namely.......

*Less and less McToys

*Greatly diminished "big piles of sticks"

*Players hiding caches wayyyyy up on hills and mountains and such, with no fast-food places within MILES

These are some of the reasons......there could be more. :blink::laughing::blink:

I think you missed the point. A husband and wife were very happily caching together. It was adding some fun to their marriage. Now the husband is going overboard and the wife is starting to lose interest.
So what you are saying is that they don't enjoy caching the same way.
So in the near future he will be caching without his wife. Maybe then "the harm" will dawn on him..... :laughing:
I guess I still don't see the harm. Many cachers enjoy the sport without their spouses being with them for every cache.

I would recommend that the couple in question use two accounts, rather than using a team account.

WOW! A thread that started the day I started caching. It was well over a month later before I started posting.

Yep, there is a local case of blue flame specials that are well known. They slammed like 1500 caches in less than three months. At an event they admitted they hadn't botherd to clean up around the house and were forgetting to feed the cat or something.

Next thing ya know... *poof*... they were gone.

I keep my cachin' time reserved for quality and the odd opportunistic find. I much prefer to hide a cache than to find one.

With a new Snooglet on the way, I can see myself fading in and out from geocaching, but I fear you are all stuck with me for the long haul. :blink::laughing:

BTW- IT'S A BOY!!! We found out on the ultrasound TODAY!

I think you missed the point. A husband and wife were very happily caching together. It was adding some fun to their marriage. Now the husband is going overboard and the wife is starting to lose interest.
So in the near future he will be caching without his wife. Maybe then "the harm" will dawn on him..... :laughing:
I guess I still don't see the harm. Many cachers enjoy the sport without their spouses being with them for every cache.

I would recommend that the couple in question use two accounts, rather than using a team account.

You still don't get it. They won't need another account because the wife won't be caching anymore..... :blink: If he keeps caching every waking moment (past midnight many nights - per the wife) then they won't be doing other very important things as well.... :blink: I think many people don't see the negative effects of gluttony until it's too late. You can have your cake and eat it to, if you learn moderation. That was my point. :(

In my opinion, the reason is obvious. "GARBAGE"... People are allowed to put a little log in a micro container and toss it out there window into the bushes as they drive by. Those that have been around a long time, answer this honestly... If your first cache was a micro in a walmart parking lot, would you have continued? I wouldn't have. As time goes on, there are more and more garbage caches. It's getting harder and harder to find the good ones and the problem is only getting worse. IMO, this will be the demise of the sport/hobby if it is not addressed SOON.

I just did a search in my area and the vast MAJORITY of caches that show up are micro garbage... Let's just hope that a new cacher gets lucky and actually searches for one of the good ones.

<suggestion>

A cache rating system would resolve this problem.

</suggestion>

This thread reminds me of a quote from the movie Colors:

There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and find one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and find 'em all".

This thread reminds me of a quote from the movie Colors:

There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and find one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and find 'em all".

That's funny. :blink:

Is that biblically "Finding"?? I remember the quote from the movie just a tad bit differently.

I just talked to the wife of a new local caching couple this weekend at an event. They were both super enthused last time I saw them. Now the wife was telling me that the husband is going bananas. She is actually starting to lose her enthusiasm a bit because he is overdoing it. I don't think he realizes what a mistake it will be to lose his wife as a caching partner because he doesn't know how to moderate. I see it all the time. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. :laughing:

So in the near future he will be caching without his wife. Maybe then "the harm" will dawn on him..... :blink:

You still don't get it. They won't need another account because the wife won't be caching anymore..... :( If he keeps caching every waking moment (past midnight many nights - per the wife) then they won't be doing other very important things as well.... :blink: I think many people don't see the negative effects of gluttony until it's too late. You can have your cake and eat it to, if you learn moderation. That was my point. :blink:

In that case, let's forget about the two accounts and go back to my original point which was that a couple need not always do everything together.

The rest of their personal junk is none of our business.

BTW, your earlier post mentioned that the wife was 'losing enthusiasm', not quitting.

< Congrats, Snoogans! We're jealous!!>

Edited by sbell111

I cache and my husband plays paintball. He's cached a few times with me, and wasn't crazy about it (probably because I love to hike and he doesn't and most of my cache hunts revolve around a 4-10 mile hike). But because he's not crazy about it doesn't mean I'd quit the game.

We both go out at least one day each weekend to do what we love (sometimes I encourage him to play paintball 2 days so I can cache 2 days). We are usually together the rest of the time so what's the problem with two separate hobbies. We do have many common interests as well, so I see nothing wrong with this picture.

Edited by DammitNanet
I cache and my husband plays paintball. He's cached a few times with me, and wasn't crazy about it (probably because I love to hike and he doesn't and most of my cache hunts revolve around a 4-10 mile hike). But because he's not crazy about it doesn't mean I'd quit the game.

We both go out at least one day each weekend to do what we love (sometimes I encourage him to play paintball 2 days so I can cache 2 days). We are usually together the rest of the time so what's the problem with two separate hobbies. We do have many common interests as well, so I see nothing wrong with this picture.

There is nothing wrong with having different activities. I cache and my wife doesn't. The story I brought up was about a wife and husband that love caching together but the husbands obsession is starting to ruin the fun for the wife. She doesn't appreciate him caching at every waking moment and running out in the middle of the night. There is a balance between fun and obsession and that was my point. This is a lot different than the example that you just provided. :anitongue: