"Found" tally

Mr. Big

Hello,

Just checking back on a couple of the firsrt caches I found and logged. The little "caches found" count at the top of each log is interesting. I logged no. 35 this morning, but checking my first and second logs, one indicates 19 finds, and the other 30 finds.

I don't really care, but I'm curious to know why this occurs. Tried looking for previous threads without success, but since this question is so obvious, I fully expect to be heavily markwelled.

Thanks.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone really isn't out to get you.

The cache pages are static, meaning they don't update automatically. The numbers reflect the counts at the time of the last log.

Post a note to that page and the count will reflect the proper number of finds. You can delete the note afterwards if you want, just keep in mind the cache owner will get a copy of the note.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Actually, they do not. I checked my first find, which I logged first. I've not reposted to that thread. The report there is 19 finds. second find, posted second with no subsequent notes, 30 finds. No biggie, but strange nonetheless.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone really isn't out to get you.

There are lots of ways to get a page to regenerate besides posting a log to the page. The owner could update the description. Someone could add or remove the cache from their watchlist. A previous finder might edit a typo in their log, or upload a picture after their film gets back from the photo shop. A travel bug might be logged out of the cache by someone who chooses not to log their finds online. And so on.

The *least* obtrusive way to force a page to regenerate is to add the cache to your watchlist and then remove it (if you don't want to keep it that way). Posting a note means the owner and everyone on the watchlist gets a copy of your note. Editing your own log results in that "[Last Edit:....]" line.

Regenerating the cache page will cause all the finds counts to update. But I would respectfully suggest that you just not worry about it too much. Periodically pages will regenerate. Anyone who's really interested in seeing your find count, including yourself, can get this info. from your profile or by viewing your most recent log entry.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

Unless something has changed, Sissy-n-CR is right. The total is as of the date of the last log on that cache.

Your first find, My Ding-A-Ling, was last logged on September 12. At that time you had 30 finds.

The next one was Cave Man, which was last logged way back on August 25th. At that time you had 19 finds.

Post a note on the Cave Man cache and your numbers will update there.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

Whoops... in another thread, Prime Suspect noted that I may have given bad advice over here. (And thanks, P.S., for your GOOD advice above.) Watchlist changes do NOT cause a page regeneration. All the other things I listed will do that, however. So I guess log edits are the least obtrusive way to update your find count. Sorry I screwed up, I guess I was thinking too hard. Which in my case, doesn't take very much.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Whoops... in another thread, Prime Suspect noted that I may have given bad advice over here. (And thanks, P.S., for your GOOD advice above.) Watchlist changes do NOT cause a page regeneration. All the other things I listed will do that, however. So I guess log edits are the least obtrusive way to update your find count. Sorry I screwed up, I guess I was thinking too hard. Which in my case, doesn't take very much.

I've noticed that many people don't like having the little 'last edited' note at the bottom of their log (by the multiple log watch emails I get from the same log).

So I think uploading a picture then deleting it is the best way to update the find count on a log, (though I just let the next log do it).

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)