In addition to Geocaching...

Jeremy

My other outdoor activity is scootering.

I did a 200 mile scooter trip from Seattle to Portland over the weekend on a 150cc Vespa with the local club. Max speed was around 65mph. 5 1/2 hours travel time total on backroads. Tried to find two caches in Portland but didn't have enough time during the rally.

What outdoor activity do you do other than geocaching?

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I used to do volkswalking, but geocaching kind of replaces this since I can do as much or as little walking during geocaching as I like. Right now, beach volleyball is my other outdoor passion. We have a lunch time league at work and we have our own sand court. We've also recently started playing against sybase, who has a large office complex near us.

Joani has been talking about getting a Vespa (or maybe two). I think they would be a heck of a lot of fun to cache on. I might just have to try and locate a local club and check things out.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

200 miles on a Vespa?????

How did you get untied? I though for sure we had you securely tied to the desk till the new site was done.

Congrats on what sounds like a fun weekend.

As for what I do beside geocache? Breathe

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

As for what I do beside geocache? Breathe

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

And don't ever stop doing it, Lap!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I think you left the door open on the server and the gerbils all ran out.

Maybe they all went to GCGERE. It got assigned this weekend.

Oh yeah... on topic... I have no other outdoor hobbies. I'm a computer geek; we're not allowed into the big blue room.

pirate.cgi.gif

Wait... Jeremy has another hobby?

Wait. What? Jeremy geocaches?!

Why isn't he locked in some room somewhere working on the new map page?!?

Seriously, to keep this post on the thread, my other hobby is ... waiting for the new map page.

That and ... well, no. Just that.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

This summer it seems we're into doing a lot of different things, mostly adventuring, trying to find new and exciting places in our area. We like to try the different things, so far the expeditions include: Spelunking (hard to believe in Ontario Canada, but we have pictures to prove it), stormchasing, astrophotography and general all around hiking. Pretty much anything where my wife can have fun with her camera equipment.....

Gord and Karina

www.amateur-adventure.ca

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

Well I try and stand around in log yards and see how close the clowns on the machines can come to hitting me with logs.

Mostly they just cover me with dust and or mud, depending on the time of year.

Other then that, just the same ol' boring hunting, fishing, rock hounding, berry picking, hiking, arrowhead hunting, packing a metal detector around, cutting firewood, cutting post, hunting shed antlers, getting photos of critters - except those pesky screamers are toooo dang ffaaassssstttttt most of the time, shooting rats and rabbits, chasing roads, looking for thundereggs, fixing fence, cleaning trail, building trail, chasing property lines, searching for corners, flagging logging units, measuring trees, paddeling a boom-a-lum around, catching snakes, photgraphing pictographs and petroglyphs, picking cones, locating caves in the lava flows,etc. Oh I almost forgot: take the dogs for a run, ride the bike, learn to rollerblade, stumble through the brush looking for highpoints, throw crab pots, water the garden. etc.

Just you typical every day things.

logscaler

Unfortunately some of us don't get to cache much either Jeremy, but we stil lenjoy it when we do and when we can. I run a couple of websites, getting ready to start another one for someone, we camp, most anything outdoors, and spend lots of time with the family.

Since we just moved about 1200 miles away from home, we are still checking things out around here as we can. Boston is 45 minutes away, Providence is about an hour maybe a little longer, New York City about 3-4 hours away, We are bout 10 minutes from New Hampshire, Vermont is within an hours drive as well as Maine. So much to see and do up here for those of us who have never been this far north.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

This subject is sorta off-topic, I hope it doesn't get locked! icon_biggrin.gif

There are other things to do besides geocaching? Really? Some of the outdoor things I try to do when I'm not chasing tupperware:

Camp

Hike

Canoe

Ride my waverunner

Classic car cruises

Make fun of Woodster icon_biggrin.gif

Mostly I try to geocache while doing them, especially the last one.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The only other outdoor hobby I've taken up is kite-flying, and even then, not seriously. I've managed to get the stupid thing in the air once. I'm heading for the kite festival on Brenton Point this weekend, maybe I'll pick up a few pointers.

I like gardening, but right now all I have is a brick courtyard that strangely enough doesn't grow plants all that well. Ahhh, the joys of condo-living.

Susan

-----------------------------------------------------------

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. --Galadriel, "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Ring"

Outdoors? What's outdoors? I'm a computer geek, I don't think I'm allowed out there! :-)

Seriously... we're into RV'ing, so we can go to strange and exotic places... and geocache!

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

It seems to me I saw a group of you Vespa riders out here in the Kirkland/Woodinville...

Scooter Insanity. There was a rally from Seattle to Snohomish. About 60+ scooters in all.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I play soccer in an over 35 league and coach my daughter's travelling team. I also play a lot of softball, some volleyball, backpack, do a lot of hiking, some canoeing and some fishing (freshwater fly and spin). Skiing is my primary activity when the snow falls and we also like snowshoeing when there is enough on the ground.

I'm also an avocational archaeologist, which is an outdoor activity I guess. I'm a staff instructor on an excavation where we're excavating a 6,000 year old Indian village. I'm also involved with trail maintenance in my area.

I guess this all is why I've yet to break 150 finds in close to two years of geocaching.

And to add to it, my wife decided she like the idea of letterboxing, so I started doing that a few weeks ago. Just another excuse to get outdoors I say!

Edit: Oops, I forgot barbecue. That is definitely an outdoor activity and I make the best backyard barbecue north of the Mason-Dixon Line. Slooooooow cooked. It's a all day affair, getting up at the crack of dawn to start the fire and put on the meat, checking it throughout the day and finally sitting down to dinner around 6 or 7 pm.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 15, 2003 at 07:16 AM.]

I am a two-wheeler also, but i prefer my two-wheeler to have a bit more umphhhh. I am a motorcyclist. And a Jet skier. I play too much in canoes also. And I am soon to be a kayaker.

Come winter time i am a model railroader and semi-pro Ebay-er (there is a new word for you, Webster).

Bender

Searching, for the lost Xanadu

Urban exploration is the risky step-sibling of the same spirit that got me into geocaching.

UrbanAdventure.org

infiltration.org

This is the only local spot I've been in so far, but I also scoped out here too and plan on making a run at it soon.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

quote:
Tried to find two caches in Portland but didn't have enough time during the rally.

QuoteS from the rally website:

"The Hell's Belles are a group of women who like to ride scooters."

"all girl, all the time"

"Want to Join us?

Be a girl

Ride a scooter"

Jeremy - Something you need to tell us? frog.gif

E

Well, when I'm not blowing up the stray geocache or two, I like to do stuff with my kiddos. I've been lots of places and had the opportunity to do a lot of different stuff in my life, so I've traded that in for seeing the look on my kids faces when they get to do something new and different, at least for them. We like to just jump in the car on a Saturday morning and see what we will see. We like to four wheel on the coast, go to Galveston or Bolivar, ride to San Antonio or just chll out at the movies. Being a single dad has become my hobby as well as my life, and they fit together well, especially when I get to take them someplace really great, like Yellowstone last year.

Other than that, I've given up more hobbies than most people ever get into...lol. I'll get back to Scuba diving one day though, only quit because I had to sell the gear to pay for the divorce lawyer...dang, eight and a half years ago now...sigh.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I have a V-Max that I almost never ride. (I think that I have become too sane to ride it. 150+BHP) I'm as into Sporting clays as I can afford to be. (About once or twice a month.) Fishing, dove hunting, hiking. Backpacking in the Sierras. (THIS WEEK!! YaaaHoooooo!) Dirt Biking on Camel's (Bro-in-law) Honda 600. Landscape photography. Lawn Darts. (I have an early 80's metal set. Now outlawed.) Feral hog hunting. And many more..........

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

QuoteS from the rally website:

"The Hell's Belles are a group of women who like to ride scooters."

"all girl, all the time"

Jeremy - Something you need to tell us? frog.gif

I dig chicks on bikes? They're a Portland crew that hosts a rally each year. The Vespa Club of Seattle is for males, females, and other.

I also enjoy indoor rock climbing, so I guess you would call that a simulated outdoor activity.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings ... but people that ride Vespas and Mopeds are dorks. Didn't you ever see the movie "Quadrophenia"? Those scooter kids were always getting the crap pounded out of them by the real biker's. Lose the Mopeds and get a Harley. Then you can cruise around and feel like a man. icon_wink.gif

My other hobby is stalking celebrities.

I hope to combine geocaching with stalking by atachign Travel Bug tags to celebs and then following them around and logging their movements.

I tried attaching a TB tag to Brittney Spears today. Darn body guards ruined everything.

I'm going back out tomorrow.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings ... but people that ride Vespas and Mopeds are dorks. Didn't you ever see the movie "Quadrophenia"? Those scooter kids were always getting the crap pounded out of them by the real biker's. Lose the Mopeds and get a Harley. Then you can cruise around and feel like a man. icon_wink.gif

LOL. ouch!! Well I don't think the dork-stigma is as quite as bad on the west coast. (I'm a dork so I feel comfortable talking about his subject).

Someone gave me a moped a few years ago when I moved back to Indiana. I road it TWICE. People were literally rolling down there windows, pointing and LAUGHING at me.

Okay, maybe a 250 lb fat guy on a moped is funny. But it still hurts. (sniff).

Jolly R. Blackburn

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

My other hobby is stalking celebrities.

I hope to combine geocaching with stalking by atachign Travel Bug tags to celebs and then following them around and logging their movements.

I tried attaching a TB tag to Brittney Spears today. Darn body guards ruined everything.

I'm going back out tomorrow.

Jolly R. Blackburn

GREAT IDEA!!! I live a few miles away from Jack White and I'm gonna "tag" him at Masonic Temple next month!! I'm thinking of starting a site called "geostalking.com!" LOL!!! Just kidding folks! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

quote:

Then you can cruise around and feel like a man. icon_wink.gif

Do you have to ride something to feel like a man? Bully for you. Anyone with concerns about their manhood by what they drive is far worse than a dork in my book.

Simply posting it indicates your insecurity. Better go to the gym tonight and pump some of that femininity out of your system, soldier.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:

Then you can cruise around and feel like a man. icon_wink.gif

Do you have to ride something to feel like a man? Bully for you. Anyone with concerns about their manhood by what they drive is far worse than a dork in my book.

Simply posting it indicates your insecurity. Better go to the gym tonight and pump some of that femininity out of your system, soldier.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Wow Jeremy...your a bit ornery lately!! I'm sure he meant no offense. Just like my...ahem...lame joke! We're just having fun with the boss! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif No offense...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

Wow Jeremy...your a bit ornery lately!!

Yeah. I ate too many bugs.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

LOL!!!! Sorta like riding a jet-ski... but I had many perch diners!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I ride this and it makes me cool. I can be a dork all on my own. That is my newest toy (two weeks old) and newest 'thing' to do. Talk about fun..

I also like to Mt. Bike, rock climb (indoors) camp, fish, hunt, hike, go shooting, collecting guns and knives, work around the house and build 'things'. I'm sure there are many other, since my hobbies are always changing and growing. Oh yeah, I like to surf the web and post on forums. icon_biggrin.gif Did I mention that I have a new quad? I love that thing.

I also like to drink beer. Mmmmmm beer.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I ride http://www.umcmu.com/04grizz.htm and it makes me cool. I can be a dork all on my own. That is my newest toy (two weeks old) and newest 'thing' to do. Talk about fun..

I also like to Mt. Bike, rock climb (indoors) camp, fish, hunt, hike, go shooting, collecting guns and knives, work around the house and build 'things'. I'm sure there are many other, since my hobbies are always changing and growing. Oh yeah, I like to surf the web and post on forums. icon_biggrin.gif Did I mention that I have a new quad? I love that thing.

I also like to drink beer. Mmmmmm beer.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Smart move umc on that quad...my cousin has a three wheeler that we us when hunting. It tends to pop wheelies all the time and is a broken leg waiting to happen! Give me 4 on the floor!!!!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....