Have you noticed the changes?

georgeandmary

I just got back from a weekend away. I was logging some finds and I've noticed a couple of things.

1) You find count is no longer listed next to your name in the cache log.

2) You can pemenantly encrypt a log on one of your caches.

3) There is a lot of new info at the very bottom of each cache page.

are there more?

Some one has been up to a lot of work.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Yes the print friendly version is great. Saves lots of ink. I do miss the totals behind the cachers name as that was a quick way to determine if a "no find" is valid or not. I have had someone request one of my caches to be archived with only two finds. It's been found many times since of course. But we can still click on their profile. I just liked it there better.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I like the count next to the name too.

I'm just guessing that eliminating the count saves the server from looking up and updating the current count for each logger each time a cache page is accessed. If a page has 50 logs, that means there are 50 lookups eliminated each time the page is accessed.

What do our experts think?

Alan

I miss the cache found totals too. It was fun being able to see at a glance how experienced a cache finder was. I found it useful.

For example if someone logged a NO FIND on a cache I was thinking to going after I'm much more likely to ingore it if the individual is a newbie and only has 2 to 5 finds under his belt.

I'm sure there's a valid reason for eliminating this feature but I really miss it.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I prepared myself to live without the individual totals being posted on each cache page, since Jeremy warned that this change was coming. There are two good reasons I can think of:

1. As explained by Jeremy, keeping the cache pages more "static" results in a whole lot less server load. Anything that speeds up site performance (within limits) is OK by me. Not having to generate new cache pages to reflect every finder's current totals helps in this regard.

2. Some of us are too darn competitive about find counts. Myself included.... I say I'm only challenging myself, BUT I do keep an eye on others' totals when I see their logs. If the totals are out of sight, out of mind, so much the better. If I'm that interested, I'll go to the stats site.

As others have said, it's easy enough to check on a finder by clicking their profile.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I keep missing my ex-wife. But my aim is getting better.

....not being able to use some simple html in my find logs. I use color and font size.

I emailed Jeremy asking him if this was intentional or incidental. The name of the cache at the top is now quite bold and large. I hope it's just a mistake not allowing html...adds a little color to my posts.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I'm going to miss them...

A compromise (for less server load) would be to post the totals for the cacher at the time he made the log. Leave that number static...

But really I like seing the actual number and I use it for all the same reasons as everyone else.

To gage the experience of a cacher having trouble finding a cache, and to keep tabs on the compitetion.

I never use the print friendly pages.

I do not have a speed problem with the pages.

I want to see how many finds I have and how many finds other people in my area have.

I want to know how many finds the people logging no finds have.

Yes, I could click on profiles to see but that is a pain in the a$$.

Yes, I am competitive. This looks like the non-competitive, politically correct (lets just push this big ball around for no reason) version of geocaching.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Well, others DO use the print friendly page - and the changes that have been made are an improvement. And, there are some folks who do have speed issues with the site, and if this helps them out - then I also think it is a good thing.

quote:
Yes, I am competitive. This looks like the non-competitive, politically correct version of geocaching.

I'm trying to figure out how just CLICKING THE USER'S NAME is such a pain in the a$$. I don't care about totals, but it has nothing to do with being PC. It just usually doesn't matter to me.

If you are concerned about someone that logged a "not found" on a cache - how difficult is it to just click their name and see their totals? It isn't like every cache has 75% "not found" logs or something. If you are worried when someone wasn't able to find a cache, you'd probably end up clicking a "not found" person's profile maybe two or three times for a cache at most.

I guess my point is that the data isn't GONE now - it has just been moved from the cache pages to increase accuracy and help page loads. You can still find out the exact same info by clicking one single link.

Is clicking one more link really so horrible? I think the potential for helping accuracy in cache totals, and increased speed in page loads is a fair tradeoff for moving the find information from the logs.

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

Sorry about all those empty posts... the server was timing out each time I clicked to send my reply, making it look like the info wasn't received. Guess the servers are working pretty hard there. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Well, others DO use the print friendly page - and the changes that have been made are an improvement. And, there are some folks who do have speed issues with the site, and if this helps them out - then I also think it is a good thing.

quote:
Yes, I am competitive. This looks like the non-competitive, politically correct version of geocaching.

I'm trying to figure out how just CLICKING THE USER'S NAME is such a pain in the a$$. I don't care about totals, but it has nothing to do with being PC. It just usually doesn't matter to me.

If you are concerned about someone that logged a "not found" on a cache - how difficult is it to just click their name and see their totals? It isn't like every cache has 75% "not found" logs or something. If you are worried when someone wasn't able to find a cache, you'd probably end up clicking a "not found" person's profile maybe two or three times for a cache at most.

I guess my point is that the data isn't GONE now - it has just been moved from the cache pages to increase accuracy and help page loads. You can still find out the exact same info by clicking one single link.

Is clicking one more link really so horrible? I think the potential for helping accuracy in cache totals, and increased speed in page loads is a fair tradeoff for moving the find information from the logs.

- Toe.

Sorry about all those empty posts... the server was timing out each time I clicked to send my reply, making it look like the info wasn't received. Guess the servers are working pretty hard there. icon_wink.gif

Love the new Print Friendly logs, hate the fact that the totals are now gone.

Put the totals back with a "At time of generation this users had xx finds"

or something similar.

Then every time the page updates the totals could get updated then.

At least Jeremy is trying..."A+" for Effort my good man!

DirtRunner.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry if I come across harsh on this one, but this seems to be the mantra around my office, too.

Good work, Jeremy. It vastly increases the speed of the cache page load from my end.

Just a little tweak in my coding on my personal stuff too - not bad.

Also like how the original cache page link redirects to the new one with the added "x". I definitely like the printer friendly version (and the fact that you can have a printer friendly version with all the logs as well, by changing the log=n to log=y).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry if I come across harsh on this one, but this seems to be the mantra around my office, too.

Good work, Jeremy. It vastly increases the speed of the cache page load from my end.

Just a little tweak in my coding on my personal stuff too - not bad.

Also like how the original cache page link redirects to the new one with the added "x". I definitely like the printer friendly version (and the fact that you can have a printer friendly version with all the logs as well, by changing the log=n to log=y).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I definitely like the printer friendly version (and the fact that you can have a printer friendly version with all the logs as well, by changing the log=n to log=y).

Me too, but I have one request regarding the printer-friendly version.

I'm one of those that, if I'm going to print the cache page at all, I usualy print all the logs, too. The new printer-friendly page is great, but if I want the logs, I have to go through links on two pages.

Could the printer-friendly link on the main cache page have a partner for printer-friendly with logs available straight from the cache page? Like this:

icon_print.gifMake this page print-friendly (no logs)

icon_print.gifMake this page print-friendly (show all logs)

And I have to say that I miss the find count, too... but considering that the information is still available (albeit with more effort on my end) and that the new cache pages make for quicker and cleaner coding, I think it was a positive move.

Now... if we can discuss the possiblity of HTML tags being recognized in the logs...

Jamie

I'm not sure that html coding is the best thing for logs... I mean, having hidden several caches myself, nothing would annoy me more than having my 'neat' cache pages cluttered up with someone's log entry with varying sized fonts, multiple colored fonts, or scrolling texts. icon_smile.gif

Heck, I'm not even sure I like that people can change the body background on the cache pages... icon_razz.gif

Green = Cache

Blue = Bug

Orange = Mark

It helps me to be less confused. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

I'm not sure that html coding is the best thing for logs... I mean, having hidden several caches myself, nothing would annoy me more than having my 'neat' cache pages cluttered up with someone's log entry with varying sized fonts, multiple colored fonts, or scrolling texts. icon_smile.gif

Heck, I'm not even sure I like that people can change the body background on the cache pages... icon_razz.gif

Green = Cache

Blue = Bug

Orange = Mark

It helps me to be less confused. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

Hmm... looks like my opinion is shared by a lot of other people.

I do miss being able to see the found numbers, but the reasoning behind it is certainly understandable. I'm guessing that its just a bug that'll be worked out, but I also noticed that some cachers will have their names repeated in parentheses on their logs.

The print-friendly versions of the page are a big improvement though - many kudos for that one.

Maybe I've done something very unusual, but for some odd reason, I still have the log finds next to the user's name. Here's what happened. I downloaded a program from somewhere??? and next thing I know, is I have about 50 bull s**t thumbnails that are seriously eating up my harddrive, and they cannot be opened or anything... Forget this I think, then delete all. Figured that would work, but didn't. Restored my puter to an earlier date (two days before I downloaded this crap) and no avail.. Finally went back to June 15 I believe. Got those drasted icons outta here, but noticed on Geocaching that the finds are back as usual... And yes, they are updated, too.... I don't know what is the deal, but maybe I've stumbled onto something...Let me know you all>>>>