Knives in Caches

I was just wondering how everyone felt about having pocket knives or knives in general in caches. It seems here lately more and more are having them in there. My opinion is I try to get them out when I find one, by trading of course, but I dont think kids should be able to get their hands on them. Any other comments?

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

I have owned pocket knives since I was a kid. My son owns more than I do. Are there gangs of marauding children with gps units out seeking caches without parental supervision?

We are becoming a society of weak kneed hand wringers. The next thing you know the Pledge of Allegiance will be outlawed.

I've had knives since I was 10 or so and I've still got both eyes and all my digits. I've read here in another thread several reasons why they shouldnt be in caches and they are pretty far fetched. If a kid REALLY wants a knife all he has to do is open a drawer and grab one.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

i have to agree with joedoe and others,

knives are ok depending on the cache, but just tossing a knife in every cache isnt good.

quote:
Originally posted by joedohn:

I think they're fine _except_ for urban caches. A knife hidden deep in the forest is different than the knife hidden in a city park.

However, I would remove illegal knives from any cache (switchblades etc.).

whack.gif

I recieved my first pocket knife at age 6, I have all digits, and both eyes. I always carry a small pocket knife(except on airline flights) and I consider them to be indispencable. Small legal (<3" blades) knives are perfectly acceptable trading items in my opinion. And I think it is way overboard for you to be collecting them all. $0.02

My 8 year old daughter found a pocketknife in the very first cache we found. She VERY much wanted a pocketknife and we had a good talk about safety and being responsible. It also helped to get her hooked on geocaching. These are two very positive results from a cheap three inch single blade pocketknife.

There is a very nice geocacher in our area who seems to place these pocketknives as a signature item. My daughter gets excited when she sees his name in the log... "He left me my pocketknife!" Also a good thing.

As in society at large, it is all about parental responsibility. While I do agree with the switchblade/illegal knife exception, I would not want a geocaching rule against pocketknives to interfere with my parental responsibility any more than I would want Congress to pass the Pocketknife and Anti-terrorist Protection Act of 2002.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

I have no problem with knives in caches (other than putting one in a cache next to a swingset in an urban park). A pocket knife is a great trade item. If this thread stays alive long enough however, there will be someone who will worry about prisoner road crews finding a cache with a knife in it and using it to overpower their guards and gain freedom. Don't laugh, this topic is an old one and more than one person actually thought this was a major concern.

I agree with the others, there really isn't anything wrong with leaving pocketknives in caches as long as they are left responsibly. We frequently leave a small pocketknife in caches that are not in a park where they could be easily found by unsupervised children. In fact, we recently took my son's friend (9 or 10, and a Webelo scout) geocaching with us, and in one cache was a really nifty knife! We let the friend have that one, and our son has been rather jealous. I think we turned another family on to geocaching! We have 4 kids.. 3 girls and one boy, and the boy is the youngest (10). All have at least one pocketknife and know how to use it responsibly.

It's one of the lamo excuses the GA Parks folks gave for restricting caching in our parks to the point of ridiculousness. In a nutshell, they want us to put the cache box in the ranger's station with a combination lock on it. Cachers would have to find the combination somewhere in the park and then go to the office. As if!

Foolish me asked what a prisoner who is guarded by officers with shotguns and is run through a metal detector before they go back to jail would do with a knife?

Foolish me also asked if it was more feasible for a prisoner to smuggle in a piece of broken glass.

I got looks like I was the crazy one! Geesh, some people.

BTW, Brian. Thanks.

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

I think they're fine _except_ for urban caches. A knife hidden deep in the forest is different than the knife hidden in a city park...

Scheesch. Whadya tink us city people don't know nothin' 'bout shives. I had a few when I grew up in Da Bronx before pooberty and still have both thumbs to stick in your eyes too. Used to play "land" where you'd throw the shive into the ground or near the other guys feet if ya know whad I mean!. Yeah, we even had dirt besides concrete where I grew up so the shives wud stik in the ground too. Never got no switch though. My mudda wud a stole it from me.

Alan

I cant see a problem with putting a knife in a cache either. Ive traded a couple or two. Heck, on my very first find i had to let go of my trusty Old Timer because i had forgotten to bring any trade goods. I miss that knife but thats a small price to pay for all the fun that ive had in the short time ive been GeoCaching!

Originally posted by Da Rebel:

Foolish me asked what a prisoner who is guarded by officers with shotguns and is run through a metal detector before they go back to jail would do with a knife?

I work at an Illinois prison and the guards don't carry any weapons. With 8 inmates to one guard the odds are good that the gun would end up pointed in the wrong direction!!

We had an inmate find a pistol on a site once and he promptly brought the gun to the officer - probably in hopes of getting some good time. So to answer your question, the inmate would most likely not even touch the knife but let the officer know where it was.

I think knives are alright and have left one in a stash myself. A good officer would be watching for stuff like that. A good officer that caches would reward the inmate for the find!!!!!

quote:
Quoted from Geocaching.com FAQ

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

I guess interpretation is in the eye of the reader.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Well, I am glad I got everyones opinion on this topic. I was just wondering how everyone felt. I know its not PC, but doesnt seem like many people here are. Which I have to say is fine with me!! My fiance says I am not PC at all.

Thanks to everyone for voting and expressing their opinion.

Happy Hunting,

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

One of my favorite finds to date has been a brand new Shrade Old Timer. It was in an urban cache. Don't think many irresponsible kids go out looking for these things by themselves. A kid who wants a pocket knife can get one somewhere other than in a geocache.

Editing AFTER reading the thread, I'd like to assure everyone that my Old Timer was NOT muddog's sacrificial trading item. icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

One of my favorite finds to date has been a brand new Shrade Old Timer. It was in an urban cache. Don't think many irresponsible kids go out looking for these things by themselves. A kid who wants a pocket knife can get one somewhere other than in a geocache.

Editing AFTER reading the thread, I'd like to assure everyone that my Old Timer was NOT muddog's sacrificial trading item. icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

ROFLMAO!!!

I've carried a pocketknife since my grandfather gave me my first Case XX when I was seven. I use mine daily.......cutting apples, cutting hangnails, spreading potted meat on my crackers, splitting my Vienna sausages so they fit neatly on my crackers, etc. My knife is as important (and as natural) to me as my keys and my wallet.

My children have had pocketknives since kindergarten, but now they're not allowed to carry them to school.

And now it is unconstitutional to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Makes me wonder where our society is headed...........

As a camper, hiker, woodcarver and knife collector I have to say that a good pocketknife is worth it's weight in gold. I think they are great cache items. I carry a Gerber knife everyday, but I also have several other brands that are high quality and durable.

I also throw knives and 'hawk for sport. My son is five and has a very healthy respect for my knives, both throwing and working. He does not carry his own yet because he tends to lay everything down and not remember where he put it, but that is a judgement call on my part, not his. Like someone said earlier in this thread...it's all about the parental responsibility and discretion.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. E Roosevelt